Poll: Would you like to 1) source your own boards and components, 2) order a PCB and source your own components, or c) order a kit
Source PCB and componets yourself
Order PCB and source components yourself
Order a kit
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
WP34S USB and IR board release
10-16-2019, 12:22 AM
RE: WP34S USB and IR board release
Thank you all for helping make this happen.
Edward / ctrclckws
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2019, 10:52 AM
(10-15-2019 10:25 PM)jpcuzzourt Wrote:  Hi Bob - I have the doc set so everyone with link can add comments, but not edit it.
Also, I set the pricing up as a guess based roughly on what I think Harald had asked for previously. Harald will need to give us final price numbers, but I wanted to set the sheet up to easily accept his numbers.
Thanks for jumping in - the more the better at this point.
JP

Harald, have you had a chance to look at the Google spreadsheet yet?

I had suggested that we close out this order request on Monday, October 21, so that you could order the PCBs and any components needed. I also need you to take a look at the pricing I put in the sheet and let us know if the figures need adjustment please.

If anyone else is interested in getting in on the order, just leave your request here, or open up the Google sheet and add your information as a comment on the sheet. (You'll not be able to edit the sheet itself because I'm a control freak. :-))

Currently, we have 20 PCBs and kits requested! Ten was our threshold for getting an order together. Interest is pretty strong for this in 2019. Yay!

I'm excited to build my first fully hung WP-34S. I even bought an 82240B printer off eBay so I can try out the IR. I have some other printer related activities that I hope to share with you guys later this year if things go well.

Thanks everyone, esp Harald!
JP[/b]

Georgia, USA
10BII+, 12C, 14B (AE), 17B, 17BII, 20B, WP-34S, 28S, 35S, 39GS, 48G, 82240A,B
+ sliderules galore, mostly Hemmi/Post & Dietzgen
10-18-2019, 05:33 PM
I will look at the spreadsheet asap. AnI have been a little busy lately...
Werner (sadsilence) has offered to populate boards for those who don't feel competent to do so.
So there is also an option for a populate board now.
The supplier I used last time does not exist anymore. So I'll probably use a Chinese one this time, but have to make a free adjustments. So I guess we can leave the list open one week, as I'll need the time anyway.

Cheers,
Harald
10-18-2019, 09:59 PM
The spreadsheet looks good. The 13.50€ for the populated boards was including shipping. I'll have to wait for the pcb order, but I think we can stick to those prices in Germany and probably also the US. I would suggest I send everything over, you forward it to the other address the US. It's probably simpler if I collect the money including shipping costs, and we work out if you have more postage costs than your boards are worth, and we work out how much I have to pay you. That way the other buyers have to make one transfer only (I think I can accept US$ in my PayPal account and avoid fees that way).
For the rest of the world I will work out the shipping costs and add them to the spreadsheet. I am afraid these will be a little higher.

Cheers,
Harald
10-19-2019, 02:08 AM
(10-18-2019 09:59 PM)Harald Wrote:  ... It's probably simpler if I collect the money including shipping costs, and we work out if you have more postage costs than your boards are worth, and we work out how much I have to pay you. That way the other buyers have to make one transfer only...

Thanks Harald! That will keep it simple.
I sent you a PM with a link so you can edit the spreadsheet as needed.

Cheers,
JP

Georgia, USA
10-21-2019, 07:19 PM
(10-18-2019 05:33 PM)Harald Wrote:  Werner (sadsilence) has offered to populate boards for those who don't feel competent to do so.
So there is also an option for a populate board now.
Cheers,
Harald

Hello all,

as there is an indirect question in google spreadsheet about those presoldered and tested boards: We will offer this service for additional 5€ per board.

Werner
10-21-2019, 08:33 PM
Assembled, please, I don't trust my minimum skills to solder delicate things.

Thanks
10-21-2019, 09:43 PM
Some of the Chinese PCB prototype manufacturers also have assembly options (for example, PCBWay). Was that considered? Probably less hassle than soldering by hand!

— Ian Abbott
10-21-2019, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2019 10:40 PM by jpcuzzourt.)
(10-21-2019 08:33 PM)ctrclckws Wrote:  Assembled, please, I don't trust my minimum skills to solder delicate things.

Thanks

OK, I added a column for assembly.
Per this message and rprosperi's comment on the spreadsheet I've updated both of your orders to include soldering the components on the boards.

It's great news that Werner is offering this service. I'm torn myself. I think I'm going to try the hand soldering myself and see how it goes.

Maybe we should give it at least another day before Harald orders to let people get the news and request getting the boards populated.

(edit: just fixed a couple of typos.)

JP

Georgia, USA
10-22-2019, 12:39 AM
(10-21-2019 10:39 PM)jpcuzzourt Wrote:  OK, I added a column for assembly.
Per this message and rprosperi's comment on the spreadsheet I've updated both of your orders to include soldering the components on the boards.

It's great news that Werner is offering this service. I'm torn myself. I think I'm going to try the hand soldering myself and see how it goes.

Maybe we should give it at least another day before Harald orders to let people get the news and request getting the boards populated.

JP

Hi jpcuzzourt.
I would like my two units to be assembled.
Regards.
10-22-2019, 09:17 AM
(10-21-2019 10:39 PM)jpcuzzourt Wrote:  
(10-21-2019 08:33 PM)ctrclckws Wrote:  Assembled, please, I don't trust my minimum skills to solder delicate things.

Thanks

OK, I added a column for assembly.

JP

I haven't panellised the boards yet, so it take a could days anyway.
I can look into portion service, but i think it won't be really competitive.
I'll order a few more boards anyway, so people won't be late to the party that soon.

Cheers,
Harald
10-23-2019, 09:24 AM
(10-19-2019 02:08 AM)jpcuzzourt Wrote:  
(10-18-2019 09:59 PM)Harald Wrote:  ... It's probably simpler if I collect the money including shipping costs, and we work out if you have more postage costs than your boards are worth, and we work out how much I have to pay you. That way the other buyers have to make one transfer only...

Thanks Harald! That will keep it simple.

Cheers,
JP

I've rearranged the order sheet to separate the American (US and Canadian) orders.

All the green cells are for Harald to make cost entries in. The one for "shipping" will be the total cost of packing and shipping all the America-bound boards to me. That cost is distributed to each of us based on our fraction of the number of boards. e.g. if it costs €20 to send the boards to me, my portion is €20 x (3/15), or €4.00, since I have 3 of the 15 boards.
I put €20.00 as a rough, and maybe optimistic estimate. Harald can adjust it as appropriate.
The "Re-ship" cost is for the US orders. It is calculated as €1.00 + €0.50/additional board. It's an estimate, but I think I can live with it.
My assumption here is that Werner will complete assembly of the boards and then he or Harald will ship them to me.
Harald - I tacked an "Adjustment" column on the end and calculated an total for myself that is reduced by the 'reshipping' amount. This takes care of your suggestion above.
The non-American orders will have shipping amounts handled individually by Harald.

I've heard from everyone except @Christobaldo about the soldering option.
I believe the order information is otherwise correct.
Since I did some significant rearrangement tonight, you guys may want to have a peak at the sheet to be sure I didn't goof anyone's order up.

Thanks everyone.
JP

Georgia, USA
10-23-2019, 06:58 PM
(10-23-2019 09:24 AM)jpcuzzourt Wrote:  
(10-19-2019 02:08 AM)jpcuzzourt Wrote:  Thanks Harald! That will keep it simple.

Cheers,
JP

I've rearranged the order sheet to separate the American (US and Canadian) orders.

All the green cells are for Harald to make cost entries in. The one for "shipping" will be the total cost of packing and shipping all the America-bound boards to me. That cost is distributed to each of us based on our fraction of the number of boards. e.g. if it costs €20 to send the boards to me, my portion is €20 x (3/15), or €4.00, since I have 3 of the 15 boards.
I put €20.00 as a rough, and maybe optimistic estimate. Harald can adjust it as appropriate.
The "Re-ship" cost is for the US orders. It is calculated as €1.00 + €0.50/additional board. It's an estimate, but I think I can live with it.
My assumption here is that Werner will complete assembly of the boards and then he or Harald will ship them to me.
Harald - I tacked an "Adjustment" column on the end and calculated an total for myself that is reduced by the 'reshipping' amount. This takes care of your suggestion above.
The non-American orders will have shipping amounts handled individually by Harald.

I've heard from everyone except @Christobaldo about the soldering option.
I believe the order information is otherwise correct.
Since I did some significant rearrangement tonight, you guys may want to have a peak at the sheet to be sure I didn't goof anyone's order up.

Thanks everyone.
JP

Thanks for organising all this!

Cheers,
Harald
11-13-2019, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2019 09:19 AM by Harald.)
A little update:

The PCBs are on order now (from China, knowing German Customs, it might take a while until I receive them...)
When they are here, I will prepare kits for customers outside the US and ship those, the rest of the PCBs will go to Werner (Sadsilence) for population and he will then ship the lot to the US from where jpcuzzourt will redistribute them.

I will go through the list and fill in the shipping costs now.
Edit: Done

I have three boards from the old batch left and could ship the order for Christobaldo now. I will contact him via PM.

Cheers,
Harald
11-13-2019, 07:16 PM
(11-13-2019 08:34 AM)Harald Wrote:  A little update:

You gentlemen are fantastic! Will somebody send us a PM when it is determined whom we should pay and when?
Or should we just continue to monitor this thread and wait for an announcement?
Or would somebody like to get paid now since you are already spending money?
Please advise... I am most happy regardless.

thanks!
burkhard
11-13-2019, 07:57 PM
I think it is best if people start paying once we are ready to ship. I can certainly write PMs to everyone when the time has come to pay.

Cheers,
Harald
11-14-2019, 07:43 AM
(11-13-2019 07:57 PM)Harald Wrote:  I think it is best if people start paying once we are ready to ship. I can certainly write PMs to everyone when the time has come to pay.

Cheers,
Harald

Sounds great. Thanks for the update!
JP

Georgia, USA
12-06-2019, 05:50 PM
Some update from my side:

As we do not know at the moment where Harald's PCBs are gone and whether China PCBs run at all I looked for a European supplier and ordered 3 sample PCBs.

Just finished first solder and test job successfully. Using lead-free solder was a new experience for me ;-).

With all other parts already on my side I am going to order some 20 more PCBs. Then I will start to work on your orders. Cause of shipping times boards will most probably not arrived as Christmas presents, but after Christmas is before next Christmas ;-)

Of course I'll give an update before everything is ready for shipment.

12-06-2019, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2019 07:44 PM by burkhard.)
(12-06-2019 05:50 PM)Sadsilence Wrote:  Some update from my side:

As we do not know at the moment where Harald's PCBs are gone and whether China PCBs run at all I looked for a European supplier and ordered 3 sample PCBs.

Just finished first solder and test job successfully. Using lead-free solder was a new experience for me ;-).

With all other parts already on my side I am going to order some 20 more PCBs. Then I will start to work on your orders. Cause of shipping times boards will most probably not arrived as Christmas presents, but after Christmas is before next Christmas ;-)

Of course I'll give an update before everything is ready for shipment.

Sounds great! Thanks so much!

If I may ask, why use the lead-free solder? In a manufacturing environment is one thing, but from what I understand for hand piece work, it's nothing but trouble... more difficult to achieve a good joint and the higher temperature needed is tougher on equipment, board, and components.
Just curious for your perspective on this... I know you guys are the experts. :-)

Kind regards and much appreciation,
burkhard
12-07-2019, 08:18 PM
(12-06-2019 07:43 PM)burkhard Wrote:  Sounds great! Thanks so much!

If I may ask, why use the lead-free solder? In a manufacturing environment is one thing, but from what I understand for hand piece work, it's nothing but trouble... more difficult to achieve a good joint and the higher temperature needed is tougher on equipment, board, and components.
Just curious for your perspective on this... I know you guys are the experts. :-)

Kind regards and much appreciation,
burkhard

Hi Burkhard,

answer is simple: my decades old solder depot ran empty and officially there is only lead-free solder to buy here. So I give it a try.

In the end I am pretty satisfied with a SnAgCu mixture. Fortunately no need for higher temperatures.

Best regards,

Werner

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)