9101A manual
04-03-2017, 01:14 PM
9101A manual
Hi all,

Anyone have a scanned copy of the HP-9101A extended memory manual. There doesn't seem to be much info on the web except for the Oct '70 HP Journal

I might have a try at adding it to the 9100B simulator.

cheers

Tony
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2017, 04:12 PM
RE: 9101A manual
I believe I have this manual. If so, I will scan it.

I'm interested to learn more about the simulator.

Dave
04-03-2017, 09:33 PM
(04-03-2017 04:12 PM)dfnr2 Wrote:  I believe I have this manual. If so, I will scan it.

I'm interested to learn more about the simulator.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Many thanks.

The 9100B simulator was only posted the other day. You can download it at http://www.teenix.org

cheers

Tony
04-06-2017, 04:37 AM
I found the operating manual. Is that what you were looking for? I will have to get to a copy shop to scan it, as I only have a sheet-feed scanner at home.

I tried out the emulator. It's beautiful. The 9100B emulation loaded up and I can see that keypresses are detected, but I could not figure out how to turn the emulated machine on. Is there a way to flip the paddle switches and tumbwheel?

Nice work!

Dave
04-06-2017, 06:52 AM
(04-06-2017 04:37 AM)dfnr2 Wrote:  I found the operating manual. Is that what you were looking for? I will have to get to a copy shop to scan it, as I only have a sheet-feed scanner at home.

I tried out the emulator. It's beautiful. The 9100B emulation loaded up and I can see that keypresses are detected, but I could not figure out how to turn the emulated machine on. Is there a way to flip the paddle switches and tumbwheel?

Nice work!

Dave

Hi Dave

Many thanks for trying to get the manual and sorry if I inconvenienced you, I just received one in my email box and am going thru it now. Hope to have the 9101A going soon.

You can operate the switches by clicking on the text labels adjacent to them.
The thumb wheel has hot spots just to the right, top and bottom for adjusting it.

If you right click on the calculator, a pop up menu will appear. Click [Help] and a PDF file should open and you will see some instructions on how to operate the simulator.

I just uploaded a new simulator version as I found a bug in the display formatting.

cheers

Tony
04-08-2017, 02:39 AM
Tony,

Today I took the time to read the main page of your website and I am very impressed with all the details you provided on HP calculators. I'm still in awe of the incredible technology packed into the early HP's. When the HP-35 came out, I was using old rotary Monroe calculators at work. Trying to do multiplication or division with those old warhorses was quite interesting and the machine put on quite a show. But at that time an HP-35 would have cost 4 months rent or more, so I waited a few years and bought a $30.00 Qualitron, with an 8 digit display and reciprocal, square root, square and X<>Y key and when I started using it, I thought I had a super computer. I can only imagine what I would have thought with an HP. Now I have several HP's from their first decade. So I can well feel the excitement you must have felt when you got your HP-45 ! I really appreciate all the detail you have given in your web page. Helps us to understand what is going on inside.

Regards,
Bob
04-08-2017, 03:20 AM
(04-08-2017 02:39 AM)bshoring Wrote:  Tony,

Today I took the time to read the main page of your website and I am very impressed with all the details you provided on HP calculators. I'm still in awe of the incredible technology packed into the early HP's. When the HP-35 came out, I was using old rotary Monroe calculators at work. Trying to do multiplication or division with those old warhorses was quite interesting and the machine put on quite a show. But at that time an HP-35 would have cost 4 months rent or more, so I waited a few years and bought a $30.00 Qualitron, with an 8 digit display and reciprocal, square root, square and X<>Y key and when I started using it, I thought I had a super computer. I can only imagine what I would have thought with an HP. Now I have several HP's from their first decade. So I can well feel the excitement you must have felt when you got your HP-45 ! I really appreciate all the detail you have given in your web page. Helps us to understand what is going on inside.

Thanks Bob

Back in those days I never would have imagined delving into the inner workings.

And of course this forum is a wealth of information if questions arise.

cheers

Tony
04-10-2017, 09:54 PM
Thanks, Tony, for including the U.S. Patent info for the HP-80 in the documentation for that simulator. This is of particular interest to me as I recently acquired an original HP-80. After getting it, I worked through every problem in the manual. While I have had an iPhone emulator for RPN-80 for about 5 years, it wasn't until I got the physical machine in my hands that I really worked though all the financial problems it solves.

If we put ourselves in an early 1970's mindset, the HP-80 is actually a computer, and a pretty sophisticated one at that. From the patent info plus the "For the Inquisitive" view of your simulator, it is apparent to me that the HP-80 has exactly the same memory capacity (for storing data) as the HP-35, with just the stack, plus the M register and the A&B scratch registers. Yet it has root finding capability plus all the financial capability of later machines. Even the cheaper HP-70 has much more storage capacity with a separate register for n, I, PMT, PV & FV, but the 80 has to do it all in the stack. I am just blown away with how the engineers, with less than a year, managed to build so much into a machine with such limited capacity.

Regards,
Bob
04-10-2017, 10:47 PM
(04-10-2017 09:54 PM)bshoring Wrote:  I am just blown away with how the engineers, with less than a year, managed to build so much into a machine with such limited capacity.

Yes, it would have been exciting times for the engineers creating such a leading edge project. For minimal capacity, look at the 9100B and what it can do.

I guess with any new project that has minimal resources, you tend to be more imaginative with the design. I once created a user programmable ignition timing system for 1 - 8 cylinder engines and with 2 data sets, that occupied just under 1K of ROM.

cheers

Tony

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)