Numerari.com
04-05-2017, 05:22 PM
Numerari.com
While searching the iOS app store for new calculators, I came across an app called Numerari - a high-level, non-rpn, calculator. It has an interesting UI which is modifiable by the user, reduces the need for nested menus, and includes a number of "user defined" keys that can be changed by simply dragging and dropping any desired formula onto the key. And did I mention that it has a remarkably easy to use graph creator?

I went to the developer's website - numerari.com, and found that the app was developed by two brothers who are both scientists/engineers. Aside from the somewhat unique approach, I found it very interesting that the calculator was developed specifically as a tool and knowledge source for practicing engineers, scientists, and mathematicians.

We are living in what are probably the end-times for the hand-held calculator as we have known it. Surely the future of calculators lies in the apps for the multitude of cell-phones and tablets. I am thinking that this type of calc app may be the future for those of us that need them in our everyday work.

(Another app that has a different than normal UI is MathStudio.)

John

By the way, Numerari does not have an Android app yet. This was somewhat surprising; however, if the brothers are serious, I am sure that one will be forthcoming.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2017, 06:43 PM
RE: Numerari.com
Interesting app.
Quoted from their website:
Quote:Numerari is the first calculator, app or handheld, that allows you to use units as a routine part of your calculations.

I'll let you judge that sentence here...
04-05-2017, 06:56 PM
They are apparently not that familiar with the higher end calcs from HP and others. ;o|

By the way - for full disclosure - I don't know the developers. I just get very enthusiastic when I see something that is kinda cool and somewhat different.

John
04-05-2017, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 07:38 PM by pier4r.)
(04-05-2017 05:22 PM)John Cadick Wrote:  We are living in what are probably the end-times for the hand-held calculator as we have known it. Surely the future of calculators lies in the apps for the multitude of cell-phones and tablets. I am thinking that this type of calc app may be the future for those of us that need them in our everyday work.

I don't think so. The advantage of a real calculator is the keyboard. I just bought the HP prime for android. It does a great job to not use the keyboard input (swiftkey for numerical input is horrible), but to let me press virtual buttons. However, pressing touchscreen buttons and pressing real buttons is different. With real buttons one is more precise (empirical proof: touchscreen keyboards do need autocorrect algorithms), especially for numeric input. So surely there may be great solutions on smartphones and tablet, but until one does not develop a surface that can be "felt", calculators have still an advantage.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
04-05-2017, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 08:06 PM by kusmi.)
I use PocketCAS when I need some CAS on the road (very seldom ;-) or TI-Nspire CAS (both available for iPad, PocketCAS also for iPhone).

I also used MathStudio - but the GUI looks a bit strange to me.

As a simpler calculator I love PCalc for my iPhone/iPad: Superb GUI and you can switch to RPN mode - just perfect!

BTW, if you look for something special, you have to checkout Soulver - they have a very special calculator, almost like a spreadsheet/notepad.
04-06-2017, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 07:19 PM by Luigi Vampa.)
(04-05-2017 05:22 PM)John Cadick Wrote:  We are living in what are probably the end-times for the hand-held calculator as we have known it. Surely the future of calculators lies in the apps for the multitude of cell-phones and tablets.
I always keep Free42 handy in my tablet's home screen. Its solver is so fast to program, that I found it simply invaluable. I use it almost every day.
For any deeper issues, I set up an UltraVNC connection to a Mathematica 11.0 on my Raspberry Pi3 at home; quite effective, though not very efficient... it is neither fast, nor furious ;)

PS: BTW, Amazon KindleFire7" and (cased) Raspberry Pi3's total BoM has meant to me the ridiculous amount of €49 €45 +

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
04-06-2017, 08:00 PM
Luigi, your post led me to this: http://www.wolfram.com/raspberry-pi/

I did know that small embedded linux based PC could handle a lot, but I did not know that such polished software was made available for them (I mean, sometimes even software that runs fine on x86 linux has problems on some raspi, like node.js ). It is furthermore free, that is a great thing! Thanks for the "indirect" share!

Although I do prefer to not rely on connections too much (especially remote dekstop/VNC with touchscreens) so having the hp prime on whatever modern android - monsters - should be enough. I will see.

I also installed free42 after having read several people mentioning it and after having read that is a native app. Now I'll have to learn the hp 42 (because for scientifc computations I do normally use the sharp el506 w , no RPN models)

04-08-2017, 10:30 PM
(04-06-2017 08:00 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Although I do prefer to not rely on connections too much (especially remote dekstop/VNC with touchscreens) so having the hp prime on whatever modern android - monsters - should be enough. I will see.
Please note UltraVNC Server for the Raspberry Pi is free; and the client application for mobile devices is free too.
FYI, so far I have found UltraVNC​ faster and much more reliable than regular Teamviewer sessions between PC's. Nevertheless, the Raspberry Pi is so light, that I use to carry it in the backpack almost every day.
For me, Mathematica means a great learning tool to quickly delve into new trending topics, like machine learning. Besides, it reaches calculation capacities well beyond any handheld calculator's.

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
04-09-2017, 02:40 PM
OT:

Yup I know about all the VNC, Teamviewer and mathematica stuff. Just I do prefer to go remote (actually I do via ssh, with putty) over reliable connections (cable) unless I do connect, deploy, launch and then I connect the day after.

Already my home wifi is pretty unreliable at times due to the absurd amount of Wifi around. So to connect to my homelab I use the cables when possible.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)