Batteries for HP-42S
04-09-2017, 10:42 PM
Batteries for HP-42S
I had a bit of a disconcerting experience while using my HP-42S this morning. While running a program, the low-battery annunciator came on. No problem, I thought, that just means I'll have to get replacements within the next week or two. But then the calculator died completely just a couple of minutes later; when I tried to turn it back on there was just one annunciator flickering feebly.

The batteries weren't new, but they're not all that old, either -- maybe 4 years, and this is a calculator that is not used all that much.

The batteries I have say V 13 GA on the bottom, and SA on the side. I think I bought them on-line, but I don't remember where.

I'm looking for recommendations re: brands and suppliers, to avoid this kind of surprise in the future. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Thomas
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2017, 10:55 PM
RE: Batteries for HP-42S
(04-09-2017 10:42 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I'm looking for recommendations re: brands and suppliers, to avoid this kind of surprise in the future. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Be sure you get Silver Oxide and not Alkaline batteries, they are often marketed with the same (externally compatible) part numbers, but the SO last much longer (but they do cost more).

After a lot of searching 2 weeks ago, these were the best value:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252012590010.

I've had very good results with Energizer batteries, and for barely over a dollar each, a good value. (Vendor has listings in various quantities).

As other recent posts have also noted, clean the contacts when changing batteries, DeOxit (Red) works very well for all calculator contacts.

These are rated for shelf-life until 2020, so getting a few extras now has no notable bad effects.

There are many different model numbers for this size, even from the same manufacturer, though I've gathered that models ending in "W" denotes a Watch battery, while those ending in SW denote Slow-drain Watch battery. This model does not use the W/SW notation, but as these are called multi-drain, this presumably means Slow and Normal.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
04-09-2017, 11:18 PM
Thanks Bob, I'll go and get some of those. Maybe not 20, because I don't use them for anything other than that one infrequently-used calculator. :-)

I found the order of the V13GA batteries in my Amazon order history, and it turns out that I bought them in February 2015. A little over two years in a lightly-used 42S... Either those were from a bad batch, or there's something wrong with my 42S. I guess I'll find out!

Thanks again!
04-10-2017, 12:54 AM
I also get the Energizer batts, type 357 Silver Oxide. I get them from Digi-key.

John
04-10-2017, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2017 08:22 AM by Dieter.)
(04-09-2017 10:42 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  The batteries I have say V 13 GA on the bottom, and SA on the side. I think I bought them on-line, but I don't remember where.

V13GA is a designation used by Varta for an Alkaline battery. Which does not mean that these are genuine Varta batteries... ;-) The silver oxide version is V13GS or V76PX (photo battery).

As already recommended: get silver oxide batteries. These have a higher capacity, they provide a more constant (and thus on average higher) voltage, and they do not cost much more. Regarding cost: does it really matter if you pay 1 or 3 $/€ every few years? Simply visit a local store where this type of battery is known to be fresh and get some there.

Dieter
04-10-2017, 02:40 PM
(04-10-2017 08:05 AM)Dieter Wrote:  As already recommended: get silver oxide batteries. These have a higher capacity, they provide a more constant (and thus on average higher) voltage, and they do not cost much more. Regarding cost: does it really matter if you pay 1 or 3 $/€ every few years? Simply visit a local store where this type of battery is known to be fresh and get some there.

I found a seller on Amazon that sells Energizer 357 in packs of three for $7 including shipping. Since I live in a smallish town where exotic batteries cannot be found, that seems like the right deal for me. If they work out, then maybe next time I'll get a pack of six, but then again, if they work out, I won't *need* any new batteries for several years. :-)
04-10-2017, 08:23 PM
(04-10-2017 02:40 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I found a seller on Amazon that sells Energizer 357 in packs of three for $7 including shipping. Since I live in a smallish town where exotic batteries cannot be found, that seems like the right deal for me.

What? "Exotic batteries"? Unbelievable! #-) The 357 / S76 / GS13 etc. is probably the most common (non-Lithium) button cell around. Over here you can get it almost anywhere, in drugstores, supermarkets, photo stores etc. etc. But I remember the stories about N-cells (HP-41 etc.) that also seem hard to get in some parts of the world.

Dieter

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)