The hidden HP-25 potential
04-15-2017, 06:25 PM
The hidden HP-25 potential
Hi all.

I'm certain most of us remember the Wodstock w. Classic era versus TI's SR-50/52/56.

And, you probably remember the TI brochures' comparision charts.

On that note, it would be interesting to see how us here have rewritten SR-52 apps to work on the HP-65. And, what ingenious ways have you translated SR-56 programs to fit HP-25's compact space? Most notably, how have you reworked SR-56 subroutines into the HP-25's set of branching tools?

Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2017, 06:38 PM
RE: The hidden HP-25 potential
Hello!

Unfortunately I could not attend last years HHC conference (or any year's by the way), but there was a talk on this topic and a follow up thread on this very forum:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-698...light=sr56

Now, 30 years later, I have all the mentioned calculators in my collection (this very discussion triggered my purchase of the SR56!), but not the time to do any programming on them (retirement is - luckily - a decade away in a more and more uncertain future). They are all wonderful machines in their own respect and it would do injustice to any single one if some kind of ranking would be established.

Regards
Max
04-15-2017, 06:56 PM
This is a fascinating start of the analysis.
04-16-2017, 06:37 PM
(04-15-2017 06:38 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-698...light=sr56

In that post someone compares the release rate of calculators from TI and HP today compared to back then. I do believe it is a misleading comparison.

First the high end calculators today are hard to be quickly inadequate (for the target audience), while back then calculators were very limited, at least in memory, and there were not many alternatives for mobile computing devices. So the competition was fierce.

I mean today very few can push the 48 series or the 49g+ series, aside for intensive computations (it is ok to mention plotting, that can be quite slow). Even less a Prime.

Then there are the "lesser" calculators, for example scientific models, that I do believe would cover a lot of needs back then, and those models have a release cycle that is shorter than 10 or even 5 years.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)