spreadsheet app bug report
04-23-2017, 01:40 PM
spreadsheet app bug report
Warning, doing the following may cause your handheld to keep resetting itself, it did mine:

1. Press Apps
1. Navigate to the Spreadsheet app
2. Tap Reset, then OK, then Start
3. In cells A1, A2, and A3 type some numbers, say 1,2,3
4. Tap to select Column A and give it a name, type DOG then Tap Name
5. Press Apps, Tap Save, Tap Edit, give it a name, say Spreadsheet2, Tap OK twice
6. Go back to the first Spreadsheet app and Tap Start
7. Tap to select Column B
8. Press Vars, navigate to and tap Spreadsheet2, tap Cell, tap DOG, tap OK

Instead of the expected 1,2,3 you will get 2,3,1,1,1,1,1,1,1, … as far down as you care to scroll. Also the 1's are funny; they appear in the cells but click on one and it doesn't appear in the edit line and the edit soft key doesn't appear, but when you reference a cell (type =B4 in cell C1) you get a 1.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2017, 08:24 PM
RE: spreadsheet app bug report
Thanks, we'll investigate.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
05-01-2017, 07:31 AM
Hello,

I know what is happening... And honesty I do not know if it really is a bug or not...

DOG is a column. As a result, its value is a list of the content of all the cells (that have a value) in said column. In this case {1, 2, 3}
When you select column B and type Spreadsheet2.DOG, it gets evaluated (as normal) and returns {1, 2, 3}.

One of the property of the spreadsheet entry is that if you enter a list or matrix in a cell, it gets "spread" around, allowing you to quickly populate n cells of the sheet (use ={} to put data just in this cell...)

In your case, you are therefore entering {1, 2, 3} with the pointer in the B header cell. So 1 gets placed in B header (B0), 2 in B1 and 3 in B2 (and you can verify this by moving the cursor).

Normally, when doing this type of fill operation, the selection gets expanded to show this behavior (try entering {1, 2, 3} with cursor in B1 to see it). However, since row/col headers can not be part of a selection that includes normal cells, in this case, you do not get the visual feedback.

So, this explains why you get 2 and 3 in B1 and B2.
It also explains why you get 1 everywhere else in the column as 1 is the "default" value for all cells in the column (after all, this is the value entered in B0).

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
05-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Thanks Cyrille,

That makes since now that you've explained it. The calculator crash I experienced was probably a culmination of several past, unsavory operations.

-road

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)