How to Update 41-CL
09-22-2017, 04:28 PM
RE: How to Update 41-CL
(09-22-2017 02:17 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Congratulations for your update! Smile and thanks mark for helping smp.

I've uploaded ROMs to CL RAM in the past, so I recognized the overrun error right away. I remember a post you made about a year ago that must have been the genesis of this automated utility. Clupdate really takes the bookkeeping and manual interaction out of the daunting update task. Updating a CL by hand would no doubt take twice as long and subject to error at each point of interaction. Great contribution!

Since I'm sure every CL owner will use this in the future, one suggestion for saving time would be to use the --diff results from comparing two rom files to drive the update process. I plan to keep the last rom update file used so I know the state of CL flash. This would be an even bigger time saver with the upcoming v5 model.

BTW, if you do end up with a GUI front end with file chooser, I'll have one more reason to retire CLWriter...

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2017, 12:56 AM
(09-22-2017 04:28 PM)mfleming Wrote:  ...I plan to keep the last rom update file used so I know the state of CL flash. This would be an even bigger time saver with the upcoming v5 model.

Mark - you can also use the FDBVER? and/or IDBVER? commands in the Update ROM to display the date-stamp of the ROM set currently installed in flash, rather than keeping notes, etc.

Of course, you also should keep the prior ROM set, in order to easily generate the --diff report. The scan process can generate the equivalent information for you, but if you know the changed pages from the --diff command, it is *much* faster to update with the manual commands also in this new ROM.

--Bob Prosperi
09-24-2017, 09:25 AM
Just slightly off-topic, is there actually a 41CL emulator? I'm not sure if I've ever seen one—not that my experience is particularly wide-ranging. I would have loved to have a tinker with some of the functions made available in the machine.

(Post 92)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-24-2017, 02:09 PM
(09-24-2017 09:25 AM)brickviking Wrote:  Just slightly off-topic, is there actually a 41CL emulator? I'm not sure if I've ever seen one—not that my experience is particularly wide-ranging. I would have loved to have a tinker with some of the functions made available in the machine.

There is no 41CL emulator, however that's not really an issue as the 41CL is effectively 'only' a 41CX which is much faster and can use any 41 ROM. Speed and ROM installation would need to be different in an emulator anyhow, so there is no reason to justify making such an emulator. Almost all 41CL-unique functions are related to managing things like ROM/memory configuration, speed, serial port, etc. (41CL configuration management controls) so aren't of much general use for user programs.

There are many 41 emulators on virtually all platforms, and most of these can perform about the same features as a 41CL (i.e. faster, use all ROMs, etc.), however I recommend you get/make a 41CL - any real '41 fan prefer the real thing over an emulator.

--Bob Prosperi
09-24-2017, 04:42 PM
(09-24-2017 09:25 AM)brickviking Wrote:  Just slightly off-topic, is there actually a 41CL emulator?

nsimII has built-in support for the 41CL but I've not tried it.
09-24-2017, 05:24 PM
(09-24-2017 04:42 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  nsimII has built-in support for the 41CL but I've not tried it.

Thanks Didier, I have not seen this before. I obviously should have started with "Not that I know of...".

I am curious about and would like to hear feedback from anyone that has run 41CL on this emulator pkg; if you've done so, please add some comments.

--Bob Prosperi
09-24-2017, 05:47 PM
Another V2 41CL updated
I went through the procedure to update my v2 unit today using a Suse Leap 42.2 Linux host. 63 images were out of date. It took approximately 3 hours to complete, with an interruption due to a TIMEOUT reported by the 41CL just over half way through. Could have completed sooner if I knew how to restart part way through without reading the presentation. Used a fresh set of batteries, didn't run them all the way down.

Thanks Monte and Sylvain for your hard work!
09-25-2017, 02:02 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2017 02:03 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
(09-24-2017 05:47 PM)cruff Wrote:  Could have completed sooner if I knew how to restart part way through without reading the presentation.

Normal procedure using high level functions
Code:
CMOPEN    // open communication channel
"*"
FLCHK?    // verify all flash memory from 0x000 to 0x0FF/0x1FF against flash database
"*"
FLUPD     // update all outdated Flash pages marked in CFLDB located at physical RAM page 0x806000
CMCLOSE   // close communication channel and end java program

Assuming FLCHK? completed successfully, but FLUPD did not. Java program must still be running, if not, restart it. To resume, do the following ...
Code:
CDBEXP    // export CFLDB located at physical RAM page 0x806000 to the PC
"*"
FLUPD     // update all outdated Flash pages marked in CFLDB located at physical RAM page 0x806000

Sylvain
09-25-2017, 12:27 PM
(09-25-2017 02:02 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  ...snip...

Assuming FLCHK? completed successfully, but FLUPD did not. Java program must still be running, if not, restart it. To resume, do the following ...
Code:
CDBEXP    // export CFLDB located at physical RAM page 0x806000 to the PC
"*"

Sylvain

I had one TIMEOUT during the update process, as well (I wasn't paying attention and my Mac went to sleep). Not knowing any better, I checked to see if the '*' was still there, and I simply executed FLUPD again.

Thanks again, Sylvain and Monte!

smp
02-07-2022, 08:54 AM
Hi All,

While updating my HP-41CL I notices that my NUT0-O.ROM, NUT2-M.ROM, TIME-3B.ROM and YFNZ-4G.ROM are outdated.

Since they are system ROMs I understand that they cannot be updated with clupdate, but is there an alternative method? And if so, what is it?

Regards.
Bas

35 | 45 | 55 | 65 | 10 | 19C | 21 | 25 | 29C | 34E Ir | 41C | 33E | 33C | 34C | 67 | 41CV | 41CX | 71B | 75B | 10C | 11C | 12C | 15C | 16C | 41CL | DM41X | DM16L
02-07-2022, 12:16 PM
Hello Bas,

(02-07-2022 08:54 AM)wbvreeuwijk Wrote:  Since they are system ROMs I understand that they cannot be updated with clupdate, but is there an alternative method? And if so, what is it?
These ROMs can be updated like any other ROM with clupdate, you just have to remove the OS sector protection to do it.

Taken from the "41CL Update Functions" manual written by Monte, Exemple 3, page 45.
Code:
XEQ "CMOPEN"      // Open the communication channel with the host machine.
XEQ "OSUPDT"      // Enable the OS sector for updating. 
"000>007"         // Specify the OS sector for update.
XEQ "FLCHK?"      // Download the CFLDB, verify the OS sector, and then upload the updated CFDLB.
XEQ "FLUPD"       // Update the OS sector.
XEQ "CMCLOSE"     // Close the communication channel with the host machine.
XEQ "OSPROT"      // Restore the protection to the OS sector..
XEQ "CDBDEL"      // Clear page 0x806 in RAM and mark the CFLDB as invalid.

Sylvain
02-07-2022, 01:12 PM
Excellent.

Thanks, Sylvain, that's easier than I expected :-)

35 | 45 | 55 | 65 | 10 | 19C | 21 | 25 | 29C | 34E Ir | 41C | 33E | 33C | 34C | 67 | 41CV | 41CX | 71B | 75B | 10C | 11C | 12C | 15C | 16C | 41CL | DM41X | DM16L

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)