Too much De-oxit on the PRGM/ALPHA toggle key?
05-02-2017, 07:10 PM
Too much De-oxit on the PRGM/ALPHA toggle key?
Several months ago (can't even find the thread anymore) I asked about getting an unresponsive ALPHA key to work . Back then De-oxit was suggested as worth trying, so I got some of it with the intention of giving it a try...

So I finally did yesterday, but silly me after looking at the opened halve I sort of gave up accessing the key dome from inside - so I poured it from the outside, thru the tiny gaps between the key and the enclosure.

It's been 24 hours "drying" upside down, but I can still see some liquid squeezing out when pressing the keys sideways. In all likelihood I may have put too much and now I worry about shortcuts or other bad stuff. Is that a possibility?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2017, 07:21 PM
RE: Too much De-oxit on the PRGM/ALPHA toggle key?
According to the Directions for Use, the 5% concentration can be left to evaporate, but the 100% concentration should have the excess wiped off.

Which formulation did you use?
05-02-2017, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 07:38 PM by Ángel Martin.)
Not really sure of the concentration. It's the Deoxit-Gold D-series, p/n G100l-2C.
It's very oily (viscous) and doesn't feel like it'll evaporate soon... if at all.

PS. it's the 100% tube so i guess it won't dry off any soon :-(
05-02-2017, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 07:42 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
You might try using a can of compressed air to blow out the excess and then let it evaporate.

From the part number you've selected the Gold, not the D-Series. The Gold is more of a preservative/contact enhancer and it sounds like you need to remove some contamination. The D-Series would probably work better.
05-03-2017, 12:30 AM
I use Deoxit Gold and D series to maintain an electrical plug used in a salt water environment. The routine I use is to spray D5 to clean/deoxidize and then when that is done/dry I treat the contacts with Gold. The Gold is really only a barrier coating. My final step, that you probably DON'T want to do, is to apply a drop of mineral oil to the plug before making the connection.

Here is a link describing the various products:
Deoxit

Steve
In order of appearance: HP 41CV, CMT-MCGPS, HP 41CX, DM 41, DM 42
05-03-2017, 04:11 AM
(05-03-2017 12:30 AM)4ster Wrote:  I use Deoxit Gold and D series to maintain an electrical plug used in a salt water environment. The routine I use is to spray D5 to clean/deoxidize and then when that is done/dry I treat the contacts with Gold. The Gold is really only a barrier coating. My final step, that you probably DON'T want to do, is to apply a drop of mineral oil to the plug before making the connection.

Here is a link describing the various products:
Deoxit

That link is only for the spray products. Here's a more complete list: http://store.caig.com/app/site/media/sit...d.11663/.f

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)