41CL chips going EOL - how many 41CL boards are desired in the future ?
06-16-2017, 07:02 AM
RE: 41CL chips going EOL - how many 41CL boards are desired in the future ?
(06-15-2017 08:09 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Well it's time to go from the beta board to a version V5. I am sure I can find some donor shells :-)

Ditto!
One for me, please.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2017, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2017 12:54 AM by Paul Dale.)
If anyone has a spare carcass, I'd likely be interested.

- Pauli
Find all posts by this user
06-17-2017, 08:07 PM
Just checked my 41 todo box and found one matching HP41C with rotten port flex but otherwise in working condition. So please 1x V5 CL board and 3 timer units for me.
06-17-2017, 09:11 PM
I've been looking for an excuse to retire my V2 board. I'll commit to one (likely two) V5 boards and two time modules.

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
06-18-2017, 04:43 PM
1-2 V5 boards for me, 2 time modules also....
06-21-2017, 05:58 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2017 11:27 AM by Ángel Martin.)
Back from a short vacation - I'll need one V5 if they come into being, plus one time module - that'll become the flagship of the fleet... ;-)

PS. and don't worry, no more modules on the horizon so the V5 flash will *never* fill up!
06-21-2017, 12:55 PM
Angel, I don't believe you. :-)

You are a nearly endless source of amazing feats. V5 will likely fill up in 12-15 months. Ha!

67FUN2 should kick off soon as should the extended precision effort... and that's my feeble list.
06-21-2017, 08:12 PM
Depending on the final value. 3 CL Version 5

Systems Analyst
48G+/58C/85B/PC1500A
TH-78A/DooGee S9
Focal & All Basic´s
06-22-2017, 05:29 PM
(06-13-2017 07:57 PM)Gene Wrote:  From Monte's site:

"Found out that the Flash memory devices used in the 41CL are Last-Time-Buy status. Need to decide how many more 41CL boards there might be."

So, how many new boards should be made if any ? Who wants one...? :-)

I am very interested! I am just waiting for an appropriate calculator to ship to me and then I will buy a board!
06-23-2017, 12:50 AM
And me of course!
07-07-2017, 09:41 PM
You can count on me for 3 time modules.

Etienne
07-10-2017, 06:55 PM
Just noticed this update posted to the Systemyde HP41 page

07/08/2017 Status:
Deleted obsolete image: CCDP.
Updated image: FRML.
Ordered V5 PCBs.

Might want to submit your order form in the event this last production run ends up being oversubscribed.

Just sayin'
~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
09-14-2017, 08:39 PM
Count me in for at least one of each, 41CL and time-board Smile
09-18-2017, 03:30 AM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2017 03:31 AM by Neve.)
(06-15-2017 06:09 PM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  
(06-13-2017 07:57 PM)Gene Wrote:  From Monte's site:

"Found out that the Flash memory devices used in the 41CL are Last-Time-Buy status. Need to decide how many more 41CL boards there might be."

So, how many new boards should be made if any ? Who wants one...? :-)

The only reason that I noticed the EOL status was that I went to the distributor website looking at pricing for larger Flash devices for a possible V5 revision. They are also EOL. Revising the board for the next larger size is a trivial exercise, and I am in the "should I do it" phase. This would double the size of the Flash to 1024 pages, from the current 512, guaranteeing that we would never run out of space again. It turns out that the 18MHz crystal I use is already obsolete, but I think that there is a replacement available. I still need to check the other distributor for any other obsolete parts (the BOM is split between two distis.) This, plus the amount of interest I see, will determine if/when I do another run.

At the same time, I am also considering finally doing an assembly run for the clone of the Time module. I just need to verify the design on the breadboard before I pull the trigger. I'm hoping that there is still interest in that project also.

Monte

I’m interested in 1, maybe 2 CL boards along 1 or 2 Time Modules as well (board-mounted or mountable, if possible).
1024 V5 would be awesome! I’m definitely in!!!

Engineer & Senior IT Executive
2x HP41CL, HP41CX, HP48GX, HP50g, 2x82162A Printer, 2x82143A Printer, 2x HP-IL, 2x Card-Readers, PIL-BOX.
09-18-2017, 09:06 PM
Put me down for one v5 board and a time module as well.

Thanks,
Brad
09-19-2017, 11:27 PM
I'm in for a one time module.

As for the board, I have some pretty basic questions:

1- How dificult is to assemble the board on the 41? Is there a step by step, with pictures, on how to do it?

2- I have a 41c fullnut with correded contacts, so this cl pcb comes with the battery contacts too?

3- All the modules are in the memory of the board or we'll have to install through a pc, in this case, how we suppose to make the connection (hp-IL + pil-box)?

I know these questions are pretty obvious for you, so forgive me to be so late to the party!

TIA

JL
09-20-2017, 03:14 AM
(09-19-2017 11:27 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  I'm in for a one time module.

1- How dificult is to assemble the board on the 41? Is there a step by step, with pictures, on how to do it?

2- I have a 41c fullnut with correded contacts, so this cl pcb comes with the battery contacts too?

3- All the modules are in the memory of the board or we'll have to install through a pc, in this case, how we suppose to make the connection (hp-IL + pil-box)?

I know these questions are pretty obvious for you, so forgive me to be so late to the party!

TIA

JL

Hi,

I don’t have a CL board yet, but I think I can answer most if not all your questions. Members, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

1-Depending on which model you have, it’s quite easy to replace the board (providing you are careful when opening and putting back together the case of your HP41C and that you ground yourself to avoid any static electricity discharges).
If you have a later 41C without tall keys, just carefully lift and remove the original board drop in the CL board and carefully close the machine. Make sure to put back the middle shinier piece the right way as both sides are NOT symmetrical. If you do not order the serial interface, you’re done.
On the other hand, if you own a tall-key 41C, you will most likely have to remove the 2 hex nuts holding the board to the keyboard. Not a big deal there either, but just be careful when unscrewing those as the posts are fragile and may not accept the nuts back on. In that case, just put 2 o-rings in there place and put the case back on.
In case you can use the hex nuts again, YOU HAVE TO USE VERY THIN PLASTIC WASHERS between the CL board and the hex nuts to isolate them!! THIS IS IMPERATIVE or you will electrically damage the CL board!!
Also, if you have a tall-key version, you may or may not have to solder an extra cap to the display. If your machine has square display drivers, you will need this cap. If it has the round drivers, you’re just fine.
In any case, it’s really quite simple to mount the CL board. Just be careful and gentle.

2- No, the CL board does not came with a battery replacement assembly kit. However, if you’re in Europe, you can get a repair kit from here: https://www.thecalculatorstore.com/epage...s/Flex-PCB

Or a pre-assembled new one from here:
https://www.thecalculatorstore.com/epage...sembled%22

3- Yes, all the modules are already loaded onto the board. However, you can update the board or install new modules as they become available through either the serial interface that you can also order as an option (requires a bit of soldering and installation) or using the HP-IL—>PIL BOX, I guess. But, as I don’t have a CL board myself yet, I may be wrong about that.

If you google it, or search this forum, you’ll find interesting posts and pictures about all this.

I hope this helps.

Engineer & Senior IT Executive
2x HP41CL, HP41CX, HP48GX, HP50g, 2x82162A Printer, 2x82143A Printer, 2x HP-IL, 2x Card-Readers, PIL-BOX.
09-20-2017, 03:39 AM
(09-19-2017 11:27 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  I'm in for a one time module.

There is an extensive documentation at Monte's site. For your questions take a look at the 41CL manual.
09-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Please put me on the list for one v5 board and a time module as well.

Regards
Bernd
09-20-2017, 11:12 AM
(09-20-2017 03:14 AM)Neve Wrote:  3- Yes, all the modules are already loaded onto the board. However, you can update the board or install new modules as they become available through either the serial interface that you can also order as an option (requires a bit of soldering and installation) or using the HP-IL—>PIL BOX, I guess. But, as I don’t have a CL board myself yet, I may be wrong about that.

No soldering is required, the serial port simply plugs-in to the CL board via a small internal cable when installing the CL board.

The serial port is used for updating the CL board itself, but can also be used in an application as the CL provides FOCAL commands for sending and receiving serial data. Also note that this serial port can be easily connected to modern PCs using USB/RS-232 converter cables.

The standard '41 HP-IL module can connect to the PIL-Box for any normal 41 HP-IL data operations (saving/reading files to storage, printing, etc.) but HP-IL in NOT needed to use the CL or for updating the CL internal ROMs.

A new technique for very easily updating the application ROMs in the CL was just introduced at HHC by Sylvain Cote (developed by Monte and Sylvain) and the video for that presentation will be available shortly.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)