HP-41 Android AMC OSX module CAT1
06-27-2017, 08:07 AM
HP-41 Android AMC OSX module CAT1
I am trying to understand what the Cat"1 function on the AMC OS/X module does.
When I read the manual AMMC_OSX Manual.pdf, it telles me this:
Quote:CAT”1 and CAT”3.- These catalogs execute the normal CAT 1 and CAT3 of the HP 41 with
no enhancements in the manner of execution. More information can be found in the HP-41
Handbook,
But when I enter CAT" 1, I do get CAT+ 1:B:G:K:R
1 is like normal CAT 1, but what is the rest.
Am I reading the wrong manual.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2017, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2017 08:00 PM by Ángel Martin.)
RE: HP-41 Android AMC OSX module CAT1
(06-27-2017 08:07 AM)Jotne Wrote:  I am trying to understand what the Cat"1 function on the AMC OS/X module does.
When I read the manual AMMC_OSX Manual.pdf, it telles me this:
Quote:CAT”1 and CAT”3.- These catalogs execute the normal CAT 1 and CAT3 of the HP 41 with
no enhancements in the manner of execution. More information can be found in the HP-41
Handbook,
But when I enter CAT" 1, I do get CAT+ 1:B:G:K:R
1 is like normal CAT 1, but what is the rest.
Am I reading the wrong manual.

B: calls BFCAT, the buffer catalog
G: calls PGCAT, the PAGE catalog
K: calls CHKSYS, which checks for conflicting XROM numbers if present
R: calls ROMLIST, which shows a string with the plugged XROM id's separated by colons.

Cheers,
ÁM
06-27-2017, 10:47 PM
(06-27-2017 08:07 AM)Jotne Wrote:  Am I reading the wrong manual.

The manual (Rev 4M, July 2014) explains all this on p. 9/53. If you don't see that, find and download a newer manual (TOS or Monte's site) as there are other manual improvements in there too.

Once you use these enhanced Catalogs, it's confusing when you go back to a 'normal' HP-41 CAT-1. It just seems... broken.

--Bob Prosperi
06-28-2017, 08:34 AM
Thanks a lot to you both.
Rprosperi do you have any link to the sites?
I could not find them using Google.
Manual on the www.***** is revision L
06-28-2017, 02:50 PM
For all manuals:
http://systemyde.com/hp41/documents.html

and for the AMC_OS/X specifically:
http://systemyde.com/pdf/AMMC_OSX_Manual.pdf
06-28-2017, 05:56 PM
Thanks a lot.

There seems to bee some wrong with BFCAT.
When I enter PI SEED CAT"1 and then B, it just show:
CONFIG OK

Page 9 shows that B is BFCAT

If I run XEQ alpha BFCAT alpha, it shows
BF:05 192/002
06-28-2017, 07:32 PM
(06-28-2017 05:56 PM)Jotne Wrote:  Thanks a lot.

There seems to bee some wrong with BFCAT.
When I enter PI SEED CAT"1 and then B, it just show:
CONFIG OK

Page 9 shows that B is BFCAT

If I run XEQ alpha BFCAT alpha, it shows
BF:05 192/002

That sounds like version mismatch. Ensure you have the latest ROM revisions.
06-28-2017, 08:35 PM
I do use the latest go41cx (1.70) android app with AMC OS/X built in.
Tried to fine a newer rom on the 41CL page, but only see the manual there.
How to see what version of OS/X module? CAT"2 does not show.
Did not see any function in the manual to show version.
06-29-2017, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2017 03:13 PM by Ángel Martin.)
There's a link with the latest revisions of all modules at:
http://systemyde.com/hp41/files.html

right atop of the page.

Cheers,
ÁM
06-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Thanks, I am som blinde Wink
They are all in .rom format, and go41cx does only load mod files.
Renaming amc-osx.rom to amc-osx.mod, did not help. go41cx will not mount it.
07-05-2017, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2017 04:34 PM by gjmcclure.)
(06-30-2017 09:15 AM)Jotne Wrote:  Thanks, I am som blinde Wink
They are all in .rom format, and go41cx does only load mod files.
Renaming amc-osx.rom to amc-osx.mod, did not help. go41cx will not mount it.

Yes, go41cx only accepts MODs, and even then it is VERY restrictive in MOD format/location, due to its use of slots versus generalized MOD loading. What I had to do to load Library#4 and AMC/OSX modules was to make my own MOD. I also didn't want to waste a slot, so I added two modules I consider essential for my work in creating new MODs.

My MOD includes Library#4 (at ROM location 4 of course), AMC/OSX (at ROM location 7), EVAL 1E (at ROM location 8), and WARP CORE (at ROM location 9). It hard codes these locations since that is the only way I could get it to load under go41cx. It will only load by using slot 1 (which covers ROM locations 8 and 9). I have included it in the ZIP file attached

These are the latest versions I have of these modules, I tried this MOD on my Android phone with go41cx, and it seems to behave as advertised (you get the CAT 1 behavior you expect). I hope this helps.

Oh, BTW, you need to turn off the internal Library#4 and OSX if you use this module... the one in go41cx is the wrong version of Library#4, and a back version of OSX.

Greg

.zip  OSX_BS4X7H_EVAL_WARP.zip (Size: 33.54 KB / Downloads: 13)
07-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Excuse an innocent bystander, but what is WARP CORE?

Very cool name!

Håkan
07-05-2017, 06:59 PM
(07-05-2017 05:25 PM)hth Wrote:  Excuse an innocent bystander, but what is WARP CORE?

This is the latest version of Angel's Total Rekall 2017 Module,

http://www.systemyde.com/pdf/Warp_Core_Manual.pdf

Image available on TOS.

I like the name too! If IBM had used "OS/2 Warp Core" instead for their OS product name, it may have survived the OS wars!

--Bob Prosperi
07-05-2017, 07:09 PM
(07-05-2017 06:59 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  If IBM had used "OS/2 Warp Core" instead for their OS product name, it may have survived the OS wars!

I liked "Borg" (OS/2 2.1)? Smile

[Image: 2008-03-18-Locutus.jpg]
07-06-2017, 01:24 AM
(07-05-2017 04:28 PM)gjmcclure Wrote:  These are the latest versions I have of these modules, I tried this MOD on my Android phone with go41cx, and it seems to behave as advertised (you get the CAT 1 behavior you expect). I hope this helps.

Oh, BTW, you need to turn off the internal Library#4 and OSX if you use this module... the one in go41cx is the wrong version of Library#4, and a back version of OSX.

A thousand thanks for this module and the information on how picky go41cx can be! This also works for the go41cxt app I'm using. Just wish the command was XEQ+ instead of XEQ" but I'll adjust Smile. I'd also be interested in how you created the MOD file. Maybe as a How-to guide in the Articles forum?

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
07-06-2017, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2017 09:19 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(07-06-2017 01:24 AM)mfleming Wrote:  Just wish the command was XEQ+ instead of XEQ" but I'll adjust
~Mark

By popular demand, "XEQ+" it is !

See attached Zip container with the ROM and MOD files.

Best,
ÁM

Attached File(s)
.zip  WARPB2.zip (Size: 14.59 KB / Downloads: 13)
07-07-2017, 06:22 AM
(07-06-2017 01:24 AM)mfleming Wrote:  A thousand thanks for this module and the information on how picky go41cx can be! This also works for the go41cxt app I'm using. Just wish the command was XEQ+ instead of XEQ" but I'll adjust Smile. I'd also be interested in how you created the MOD file. Maybe as a How-to guide in the Articles forum?

~Mark

Mark, I created some Visual Basic programs to strip a MOD into the MOD info and ROMs, and to do the reverse. Not sure you want those since they are not really user friendly. I do know that MLDL2K (from http://hp41.kuiprs.nl/) will take ROMS and put them into MOD files (you have to know what you are doing in the MOD section). It also will take MOD files and separate them into ROMs, so you can go both ways. You don't have to have the MLDL2K hardware to run the program, and a manual comes with it to explain what you need to do.

Greg
07-07-2017, 03:32 PM
(07-06-2017 06:59 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  By popular demand, "XEQ+" it is !

See attached Zip container with the ROM and MOD files.
Can't wait to try this! Related question - is there any sort of module dependency for Warp? I downloaded an earlier version to a 41CL with Lib4, OSX & YFNX but had problems with the stack test command. After presenting the comparison menu it would not respond to the menu keys. I didn't have a further chance to pursue module ordering in the pages.

(07-07-2017 06:22 AM)gjmcclure Wrote:  Mark, I created some Visual Basic programs to strip a MOD into the MOD info and ROMs, and to do the reverse. Not sure you want those since they are not really user friendly. I do know that MLDL2K (from http://hp41.kuiprs.nl/) will take ROMS and put them into MOD files (you have to know what you are doing in the MOD section). It also will take MOD files and separate them into ROMs, so you can go both ways. You don't have to have the MLDL2K hardware to run the program, and a manual comes with it to explain what you need to do.

Greg
Thanks for the information. I've held off setting up a development environment for the 41 because of the work involved, but it sounds like it's time to make that sort of committment. I have a couple of projects in-flight that would benefit from a deeper understanding of the 41 internals. I'll start with the MLDL2K docs this weekend. I have a feeling there is a lot of reading to do in my future!

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
07-07-2017, 07:02 PM
(07-07-2017 03:32 PM)mfleming Wrote:  Can't wait to try this! Related question - is there any sort of module dependency for Warp? I downloaded an earlier version to a 41CL with Lib4, OSX & YFNX but had problems with the stack test command. After presenting the comparison menu it would not respond to the menu keys. I didn't have a further chance to pursue module ordering in the pages.

Mark - you almost certainly need to update LIB4 in the CL to the newest version; there have been subtle improvements which newer ROMs from Angel use.

--Bob Prosperi
07-08-2017, 06:20 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2017 06:21 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(07-07-2017 07:02 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 03:32 PM)mfleming Wrote:  Can't wait to try this! Related question - is there any sort of module dependency for Warp? I downloaded an earlier version to a 41CL with Lib4, OSX & YFNX but had problems with the stack test command. After presenting the comparison menu it would not respond to the menu keys. I didn't have a further chance to pursue module ordering in the pages.

Mark - you almost certainly need to update LIB4 in the CL to the newest version; there have been subtle improvements which newer ROMs from Angel use.

Here's the latest version (also available at Monte's page) - hope it helps.
ÁM

Attached File(s)
.zip  LIBRARY4.zip (Size: 5.2 KB / Downloads: 8)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)