Home Mode Calculation option
08-11-2017, 09:58 PM
Home Mode Calculation option
I really like the HP71 calc mode where it calculates as much as it can as you enter it.

For example if you enter 30+20+30, as soon as you hit the '+' after 20 it knows that no other operations will affect the first result so it displays '50' instead of '30+20'.

If you enter 30+20*30 it won't calculate anything since the values may depend on the next operation.

It find it really useful when adding a bunch of numbers to get a running subtotal.

(I know the ANS function provides some of that functionality, but it requires extra keystrokes.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2017, 12:22 AM
RE: Home Mode Calculation option
(08-11-2017 09:58 PM)KeithB Wrote:  I really like the HP71 calc mode where it calculates as much as it can as you enter it.

For example if you enter 30+20+30, as soon as you hit the '+' after 20 it knows that no other operations will affect the first result so it displays '50' instead of '30+20'.

If you enter 30+20*30 it won't calculate anything since the values may depend on the next operation.

It find it really useful when adding a bunch of numbers to get a running subtotal.

(I know the ANS function provides some of that functionality, but it requires extra keystrokes.)
The way Prime does it, you can edit the calculation before submitting it.
Suppose I enter

30 + 29 +

but then realize I meant 20 instead of 29. How would you correct that on the 71? On the Prime you can just back up the cursor and correct the number without having to back out of the addition.

Tom L
Cui bono?
08-12-2017, 05:08 AM
(08-12-2017 12:22 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  The way Prime does it, you can edit the calculation before submitting it.
Suppose I enter

30 + 29 +

but then realize I meant 20 instead of 29. How would you correct that on the 71? On the Prime you can just back up the cursor and correct the number without having to back out of the addition.

There are two ways of dealing with typos on the HP-71B in CALC mode.

(1) Press the BACK key (not left-cursor). Just like on most modern calculators, you can backspace through the current CALC expression to correct typos. Although BACK is a shifted key on the HP-71B, the shift key is optional in CALC mode if you install CALCLEX or JPCLEX or JPCROM.

(2) Just execute the incorrect calculation, then press up-cursor to access the history stack, where you can edit the entire expression (not only its right end), just like on the Prime. Although this might seem like an awkward way to handle it, it's very keystroke efficient.

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-14-2017, 05:30 PM
(08-12-2017 12:22 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(08-11-2017 09:58 PM)KeithB Wrote:  I really like the HP71 calc mode where it calculates as much as it can as you enter it.

The way Prime does it, you can edit the calculation before submitting it.
Suppose I enter

30 + 29 +

Actually, the '29' is easy, backspace will undo the pre-calculation and let you make the change, the '30' is harder since you have to backspace away the '29'.
08-14-2017, 08:15 PM
(08-14-2017 05:30 PM)KeithB Wrote:  Actually, the '29' is easy, backspace will undo the pre-calculation and let you make the change, the '30' is harder since you have to backspace away the '29'.

What about punching the cursor to the correct position, the HW-Prime has a touchscreen as well as the virtual Prime used on a tablet.
Arno
08-14-2017, 09:15 PM
(08-14-2017 08:15 PM)Arno K Wrote:  
(08-14-2017 05:30 PM)KeithB Wrote:  Actually, the '29' is easy, backspace will undo the pre-calculation and let you make the change, the '30' is harder since you have to backspace away the '29'.

What about punching the cursor to the correct position, the HW-Prime has a touchscreen as well as the virtual Prime used on a tablet.
Arno

I will leave that to the folks implementing my great idea. 8^) It would probably take two taps, one to "explode" the pre-calculation and one to put your cursor on the offending text.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)