How rare is the 35s Anniversary Edition?
09-01-2017, 10:02 PM
How rare is the 35s Anniversary Edition?
Here's an almost-mint condition (never used but out of box) "Celebrating 35 years" HP 35s Anniversary Edition, S/N CNA 71000199 (first week of production). It's hard to tell from the scan below, but the keyboard's metal overlay is a dramatic & very shiny black, not flat black like the ordinary 35s.

[Image: 35s.jpg]

Anybody know how rare these are? Are they worth anything to collectors?

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2017, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2017 10:28 PM by smp.)
RE: How rare is the 35s Anniversary Edition?
They are currently available on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-35s-Scientifi...SwxeBZpwgF

IMO that makes them not rare.

smp

UPDATE: Those available do not seem to have the "anniversary" logo. Perhaps the anniversary edition actually is rare. Sorry to jump to a conclusion!
Find all posts by this user
09-01-2017, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2017 10:29 PM by Joe Horn.)
(09-01-2017 10:26 PM)smp Wrote:  They are currently available on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-35s-Scientifi...SwxeBZpwgF

IMO that makes them not rare.

smp

Those are ordinary ones, not Anniversary Edition ones. I'm asking about the latter. Easiest difference to spot: "Celebrating 35 years" in silver script between the display and keyboard.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
09-02-2017, 02:58 AM
(09-01-2017 10:02 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Anybody know how rare these are? Are they worth anything to collectors?

Nah, they're nothing special; worth no more than normal 35s models. Ahhh, the shiny black doesn't show well at all in your scan, but I'd like to see the difference; perhaps you could send that to me so I could check it in person? Wink

Yes, I'm kidding.

These are relatively rare, so definitely worth more than 'normal' 35s machines, but not like rare classics, like an HP-70, HP-27, HP-19C or other rare oldies. I've never seen numbers on how many of these were produced, and not even sure if they were sold at retail, they may have been only for employees, etc. I ordered a 35S as soon as they were announced, but it is not an A.E. just like that one; it does not have the "Celebrating 35 Years" legend, however the black faceplate is shiny, not flat.

Please bring it to HHC, I'd like to check it out.

--Bob Prosperi
09-03-2017, 01:21 AM
Any interest in selling it, Joe. (Picture me saying PRETTY PLEASE.)
09-03-2017, 02:35 AM
(09-03-2017 01:21 AM)John Cadick Wrote:  Any interest in selling it, Joe. (Picture me saying PRETTY PLEASE.)

Careful. The more interest you show, the higher the starting price. Wink I'll see you at HHC 2017; we can discuss it then.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
09-03-2017, 08:01 AM
Sounds good. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone agaian.
09-05-2017, 01:31 PM
That is rare, Joe. This is the first HP 35S with that "Celebrating 35 Years" I have seen.
09-05-2017, 01:59 PM
(09-03-2017 02:35 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 01:21 AM)John Cadick Wrote:  Any interest in selling it, Joe. (Picture me saying PRETTY PLEASE.)

Careful. The more interest you show, the higher the starting price. Wink I'll see you at HHC 2017; we can discuss it then.

funny you mention that. I search amazon for 48sx from time to time and I'll see a book listed at $35 one week then then next week the same book will be $45, makes me think someone actually did code a price increase based on page hits.
09-05-2017, 04:38 PM
Hi,
If I remember correctly, at the time, Sam Kim mentioned that they only made 100 of these 35th-anniversary 35S models. Richard Nelson or Gene Wright might also have a recollection of that.

Jake
09-05-2017, 07:01 PM
(09-05-2017 04:38 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  If I remember correctly, at the time, Sam Kim mentioned that they only made 100 of these 35th-anniversary 35S models.

Wow! That would make it about as rare as the HP 15C+. Cool. Smile

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
09-08-2017, 03:06 PM
I believe they were handed out at the award ceremony thing they did in a Hollywood theater as well as for internal people (really not sure on that, but have vague memories of it). I got one there I think as one of the "10" grand prize winners. Made a video that took all of 10 minutes to make.

http://www.hp.com/united-states/calculat...loyee.html was the first link that came up about it.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Not as rare apparently as the HP 50g. Have you noticed the insane prices on these now that they have been discontinued ? They are almost in HP 15c LE territory.
09-08-2017, 08:03 PM
(09-08-2017 05:13 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  Not as rare apparently as the HP 50g. Have you noticed the insane prices on these now that they have been discontinued ? They are almost in HP 15c LE territory.

Although that might be true regarding the ordinary HP 35s, I'm not talking about the ordinary 35s, but rather the 35s Anniversary Edition, which has "Celebrating 35 years" in silver script just below the LCD.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
09-08-2017, 09:41 PM
(09-08-2017 08:03 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(09-08-2017 05:13 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  Not as rare apparently as the HP 50g. Have you noticed the insane prices on these now that they have been discontinued ? They are almost in HP 15c LE territory.

Although that might be true regarding the ordinary HP 35s, I'm not talking about the ordinary 35s, but rather the 35s Anniversary Edition, which has "Celebrating 35 years" in silver script just below the LCD.

I'm not sure I understand your point. The ordinary HP 35s is still available from HP, whereas the HP 50g is not, which is why prices have skyrocketed. The HP 50g used to sell for well under $100, and now you can't find a used one for that price. Same deal with the discontinued HP 33s, which used to sell for $40, but a new one today costs hundreds of $$. I bought seven HP 15c LEs when they were first released, all for under $100, and now they are many times more expensive. No doubt the rarity of the HP 35s Anniversary Edition will make it more valuable, but how much depends on how many collectors there are to whom it is important. The main reason I bought the HP 15c LE was that I'm a true fan of that particular model, and was badly disappointed with the actual execution. Frankly, I'm done with HP calculators, and am now looking forward to better products such as the soon to be released Swiss Micros DM42.
09-08-2017, 09:54 PM
(09-08-2017 09:41 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  whereas the HP 50g is not, which is why prices have skyrocketed. The HP 50g used to sell for well under $100, and now you can't find a used one for that price.

I got mine yesterday for about 90 Euros in Germany.
Arno
09-08-2017, 11:21 PM
(09-08-2017 09:41 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  
(09-08-2017 08:03 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Although that might be true regarding the ordinary HP 35s, I'm not talking about the ordinary 35s, but rather the 35s Anniversary Edition, which has "Celebrating 35 years" in silver script just below the LCD.

I'm not sure I understand your point. The ordinary HP 35s is still available from HP, whereas the HP 50g is not...

There is obviously some confusion here. How rare the ordinary 35s might be has nothing whatsoever to do with my question. Are you aware that there were (at least) TWO different versions of the relatively recent HP 35s LCD calculator that came out at the same time? The "ordinary" 35s has nothing printed on the keyboard between the keys and the LCD. Those are the ones that were sold in stores (and they are still on the HP website although listed as "Out of stock"). On the other hand, the 35s "Anniversary Edition" has "Celebrating 35 years" in silver script on the keyboard just below the LCD. Tim Wessman above wrote that they were given out by HP directly to various people. Hence they are much more rare. Exactly HOW rare they are, is my only question. I'm not asking anything whatsoever about the ordinary 35s.

Just in case you thought I meant "original 35" (the old LED model) when I wrote "ordinary 35s" (the LCD model), please note: that's not what I meant.

If I misunderstood your point, then we're being quite successful at confusing each other. Smile

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
09-08-2017, 11:30 PM
(09-08-2017 09:54 PM)Arno K Wrote:  
(09-08-2017 09:41 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  whereas the HP 50g is not, which is why prices have skyrocketed. The HP 50g used to sell for well under $100, and now you can't find a used one for that price.

I got mine yesterday for about 90 Euros in Germany.
Arno

I guess they are not as dear in Germany, because here in the USA the lowest price I could find for a new one is 300 USD. Did you buy a new one ?
09-08-2017, 11:33 PM
Yes, it is new, sealed in the original box and so absolutely unused, I saw them sold via Amazon for about 300 Euros and so I couldn't resist when I saw that other offer.
Arno
09-08-2017, 11:44 PM
(09-08-2017 11:21 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(09-08-2017 09:41 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  I'm not sure I understand your point. The ordinary HP 35s is still available from HP, whereas the HP 50g is not...

There is obviously some confusion here. How rare the ordinary 35s might be has nothing whatsoever to do with my question. Are you aware that there were (at least) TWO different versions of the relatively recent HP 35s LCD calculator that came out at the same time? The "ordinary" 35s has nothing printed on the keyboard between the keys and the LCD. Those are the ones that were sold in stores (and they are still on the HP website although listed as "Out of stock"). On the other hand, the 35s "Anniversary Edition" has "Celebrating 35 years" in silver script on the keyboard just below the LCD. Tim Wessman above wrote that they were given out by HP directly to various people. Hence they are much more rare. Exactly HOW rare they are, is my only question. I'm not asking anything whatsoever about the ordinary 35s.

Just in case you thought I meant "original 35" (the old LED model) when I wrote "ordinary 35s" (the LCD model), please note: that's not what I meant.

If I misunderstood your point, then we're being quite successful at confusing each other. Smile

No, I did not mean the original HP 35, although except for the Red Dot, you can still buy a very clean one for about a hundred bucks. That is because a lot of them were made, and they are practically indestructable.

The point I was attempting to make is that prices of very ordinary HP calculators can increase many times when they are discontinued by HP and new units become very rare, even if they were originally manufactured in large quantities. If you want to find out how valuable your HP 35s Anniversary Edition is, list it on eBay with a very high reserve price.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)