begin
  if dim(ifactors(X))=={2} then
    return true;
  else
    return false;
  end;
end;

dim(ifactors(7))

returns {2} but when I call is_prime(7), I get Error: Bad argument type.

I tried with both upper and lowercase X and I tried the 2 both in and out of braces.

What am I doing wrong?

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2017, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2017 07:32 PM by Helge Gabert.)
RE: ifactors Test Problem
Try storing DIM(ifactors(X)) into a list, say L1, and then try

IF L1(1) == 2 THEN . . .

Works here.

(This is because, in Home, a statement like {2}=={2} returns {1}, not 1).

But aside from that, why do you test DIM(ifactors(X))? That won't tell you if X is prime.
09-06-2017, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2017 07:09 PM by toml_12953.)
(09-06-2017 05:16 PM)Helge Gabert Wrote:  Try storing DIM(ifactors(X)) into a list, say L1, and then try

IF L1(1) == 2 THEN . . .

Works here.

(This is because, in Home, a statement like {2}=={2} returns {1}, not 1).

But aside from that, why do you test DIM(ifactors(X)? That won't tell you if X is prime.

I thought that if the length of the ifactors vector returns 2 then there are only two factors, the number itself and 1. I was wrong. The list doesn't include 1 so dim(ifactors(8)) would return 2 as well.

Tom L
Cui bono?
09-06-2017, 07:10 PM
(09-06-2017 07:03 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  If the length of the ifactors vector returns 2 then there are only two factors, the number itself and 1. That means it's prime.

Are you doing this as a learning exercise? (I'll leave alone the issue with this method to figure prime for someone else)

The is already a function specifically for primes. Quite many in fact under the toolbox->CAS->Integer->Prime menu.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-06-2017, 07:10 PM
(09-06-2017 05:16 PM)Helge Gabert Wrote:  Try storing DIM(ifactors(X)) into a list, say L1, and then try

IF L1(1) == 2 THEN . . .

You can also use EQ to compare two lists :

IF EQ(DIM(ifactors(X)),{2}) THEN....

...but ifactors(8) returns [2 3]: factor 2, multiplicity 3, so it won't help you to identify prime numbers.
09-06-2017, 08:13 PM
Yeah, well, I'm not the OP and I never claimed that. Indeed,there are infinite cases of composite numbers which return {2} with this method.

I merely pointed out how to change the program to make it run, instead of coming up with the error message encountered by the OP.

EQ()is a good suggestion, however.
09-06-2017, 10:12 PM
(09-06-2017 07:10 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 07:03 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  If the length of the ifactors vector returns 2 then there are only two factors, the number itself and 1. That means it's prime.

Are you doing this as a learning exercise? (I'll leave alone the issue with this method to figure prime for someone else)

The is already a function specifically for primes. Quite many in fact under the toolbox->CAS->Integer->Prime menu.

Yes, I was just trying to come up with a function that didn't use the one from the menu. Thanks to all who answered my question!

Tom L
Cui bono?
09-07-2017, 04:45 PM
I forgot to mention:

You could use TYPE(ifactor(number to test)).

For primes, should return 0. For composites, 8.

(Of course, ifactor could return 0 for certain integers in error).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)