HP33E Question: Battery Pack
09-18-2017, 11:44 PM
HP33E Question: Battery Pack
I turned on the 33E with the battery pack with the AC plugged in: the display went through a self test but then went blank. Does this mean the battery pack need to be recharged or I will need to buy a new one? Thank you,

Eddie
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2017, 11:49 PM
RE: HP33E Question: Battery Pack
Hi Eddie

First thing, are you sure the charger is ok, i.e., has the correct output?

Maybe the battery pack needs charge and there's no voltage ln the charger?

Just guessing
Find all posts by this user
09-19-2017, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2017 12:06 AM by Eddie W. Shore.)
I think so. I don't have the tools to measure output.

Should I just leave the HP 33E plugged in for some time?
09-19-2017, 12:29 AM
I don't have much experience charging the batteries in the calculator, but I think the spices should work normally charging the batteries...so, or you have a defective charger or there's another problem in the calculator...

How about the contacts? It is common in the spices the contacts break, and no contact with the batteries, it does not turn on. Normally the pack is made with flat top batteries and with broken contacts there's a gap between the battery and the piece left of the contact.

Theres some threds about batteties in the spices that you can search, teaching how to use normal AA bateries, only be carefull with the polarity.

If I find I will post a link here
09-19-2017, 12:52 AM
I am able to run the 33E I have with regular AA batteries. I'll hold off on ordering battery packs until further advised. Thanks,

Eddie
09-19-2017, 02:19 AM
Good news!

Have fun with your 33E!
09-19-2017, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2017 08:20 AM by Sadsilence.)
It is dangerous to switch on Woodstock (HP21...HP29) and Spice (HP31...HP38) calculators when not sure that a working rechargeable battery pack is inside. Contact problems are another matter with those old calcs, even when battery pack is ok. Working does not mean that is fully loaded of course. Otherwise a wallplug charger would not make any sense. But pack must not be dead and should take at least a little charge.

Otherwise much too high 9V AC voltage of charger directly rushes into calculator and chips could be damaged. It is advised not to switch on calculator as long as wallplug charger is connected. Of course you must not connect it when using normal AA batteries.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)