USB on my WP34S
10-19-2017, 08:28 PM
USB on my WP34S
Hello,

Yes, I am new to the board. But, I've been an HP (RPN) junkie since 1981. I now have a few WP34S's and would like to have one converted to have USB access. I'm imagining a mini-usb port installed, with some type of function support or interface for serial connection? I'm hoping for a way to backup the 34S so I can archive programs and this way have more programming space.

Could someone please direct me, in the correct direction, to get such USB support on a WP34S?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2017, 03:14 AM
RE: USB on my WP34S
(10-19-2017 08:28 PM)scrubbed Wrote:  Hello,

Yes, I am new to the board. But, I've been an HP (RPN) junkie since 1981. I now have a few WP34S's and would like to have one converted to have USB access. I'm imagining a mini-usb port installed, with some type of function support or interface for serial connection? I'm hoping for a way to backup the 34S so I can archive programs and this way have more programming space.

Could someone please direct me, in the correct direction, to get such USB support on a WP34S?
Try this forum thread.
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-8145.html
10-20-2017, 06:32 AM
There are still two or three boards available, ready to be sent.
10-20-2017, 08:21 AM
(10-19-2017 08:28 PM)scrubbed Wrote:  Hello,

I'm guessing that you don't have the programming cable. If you do, you can connect to a PC with this without the need for a USB interface.

Nigel (UK)
10-23-2017, 08:01 PM
Hi All,

Thank you for responding. I unfortunately do not possess the proper cable for flashing the WP-34S. So, the way this sits now, is that I'd like to buy those usb boards mentioned above from Sadsilence, then have them installed on my calcs.

I'm assuming that adding this hardware will NOT require a firmware re-flash, because I would just be performing serial data capture and reload. but if there's a problem then they would need to be re-flashed.

Can anybody here do that for money?
10-24-2017, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 01:32 PM by Sadsilence.)
It is one of WP34S USB Boards' benefits, that you can easily update calculator firmware (=flash it) without need to (re)open calculator after installation of this addon board. Just connect calculator with a micro USB cable to your computer and follow instructions in manual.

Of course it is your choice. You are not forced to, when you are only interested in data transfer between WP34S emulator on PC side and your WP34S hardware. Depending on your previously installed firmware and hardware (IR-diode, oscillator) you cannot use additional real time clock, stopwatch and printing features.

When you reside in the US and need additional help beyond simple USB board delivery you may contact forum member Jim Horn, too. As far as I know he even installs those USB boards into calculators and of course can reflash them.
10-24-2017, 12:37 PM
(10-24-2017 06:25 AM)Sadsilence Wrote:  When you reside in the US and need additional help beyond simple USB board delivery you may contact forum member Joe Horn, too. As far as I know he even installs those USB boards into calculators and of course can reflash them.

Actually, it's Jim Horn (Joe's brother, amazingly enough).

See this thread (especially towards the end) for details: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-8077-page-3.html

--Bob Prosperi
10-24-2017, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 01:32 PM by Sadsilence.)
Oops, big SORRY. Sometimes I should really read what my fingers type in. Corrected.
11-13-2017, 08:41 PM
Well, I was able to install the USB board (modifying the case, and soldering). At 52 years of age, the work was almost too small for my shakiness.

Thanks to everyone for the links and support!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)