Poll: Do you use a real WP 34S?
I'm not interested in WP 34S
I only use one of the emulators
I own one WP 34S
I own two WP 34S
I own three WP 34S
I own four or more WP 34S
[Show Results]

[Poll WP 34S] How many 34S are in use by forum members?
03-21-2014, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2014 09:02 AM by Paul Dale.)
RE: [Poll WP 34S] How many 34S are in use by forum members?
Actually no, we don't have a good idea as to numbers from these sources. Given the bags of cables given away for free, I'm confident there are many unrecorded 34S's that we don't know about.

Eric donates an amount per calculator which I could go back and check if I was bothered (which I'm not). I truly trust Eric to donate as per his sales. However, he doesn't donate anything for overlays so I've no idea how many of these have been bought -- he might know how many he has printed and cut but we don't.

As for thecalculatorstore, we did reach an agreement about donations for each calculator but I don't remember many payments actually occurring. I'm not going to check the record here either. My memory isn't good these days.

Finally, for the eBay seller thekingofcalculator: to my knowledge we've had no donations from this source despite the 10 Euro promise per calculator sold. Walter and/or Marcus might have reached a separate agreement here which I don't know about but I very seriously doubt it (please don't either of you take offence to this, I trust you both completely and don't believe this would actually occur).

The current bottom line is we've finally covered our out of pocket expenses for the project. Apart from our time which was freely given.

We all & others have more to do both on the 34S and the 31S.

- Pauli
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2014, 08:41 PM
(03-21-2014 09:00 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Finally, for the eBay seller thekingofcalculator: to my knowledge we've had no donations from this source despite the 10 Euro promise per calculator sold. Walter and/or Marcus might have reached a separate agreement here which I don't know about but I very seriously doubt it (please don't either of you take offence to this, I trust you both completely and don't believe this would actually occur).
It's the first time I hear about this 34S source. I'm happy with the figures and I'm happy with the financial feedback which has hardly covered the costs and which doesn't remotely compare to what I might have earned on a payed job for the time spent on the project.

Eric's numbers are interesting in comparison to the results of this poll (which is set up to be indefinitely open). They indicate that a relevant number of calculators has found its way outside this community.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
03-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Who's the "I'm not interested in WP 34S" 1 troll ;-) ?
Seriously, would be curious to know, as well as his reasons.
04-01-2014, 01:53 AM
Walter (or anyone else),

Based on this data (and plenty of intuition), do you care to make a rough estimate of how many WP-34s units have been created? Please include some reasoning about your estimate!

-Jonathan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2014, 07:34 AM
Marcus started this poll, so I guess he has an idea how to evaluate it.

d:-)
04-02-2014, 09:05 AM
(04-01-2014 01:53 AM)Jonathan Cameron Wrote:  Walter (or anyone else),

Based on this data (and plenty of intuition), do you care to make a rough estimate of how many WP-34s units have been created? Please include some reasoning about your estimate!

-Jonathan

I'd be surprised if there is anyone outside this community using the WP34s.
04-02-2014, 09:34 AM
(04-02-2014 09:05 AM)RMollov Wrote:  I'd be surprised if there is anyone outside this community using the WP34s.

I won't since quite some WP 34S were made for other people. And the numbers resulting from this poll are significantly less than what I know about the reality.
04-02-2014, 04:32 PM
(04-01-2014 07:34 AM)walter b Wrote:  Marcus started this poll, so I guess he has an idea how to evaluate it.

The only reason to create this poll was to find out about our community. Total WP 34S "sales" are definitely higher if you trust the figures posted by Eric.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
04-04-2014, 10:15 PM
Just bought an iPod Touch 5. First app on it: Free42. Second app: WP34s. All three are awesome.

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-21-2014, 10:13 PM
(04-02-2014 09:05 AM)RMollov Wrote:  I'd be surprised if there is anyone outside this community using the WP34s.

My friend has one purchased from Eric that he found out about from me. He is not a member.
04-22-2014, 02:00 AM
(03-19-2014 09:43 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  This poll is a first attempt at determining the number of WP 34S devices (reflashed 20b or 30b) in use by forum regulars. I added the options "I'm not interested in WP 34S" and "I don't have a device but use one of the emulators" if you want to participate without actually having a real device.

P.S.: The first vote is by me. Smile

I HAD two -- one built on an HP 20b and another on an HP 30b. The former "blew" one day and became a brick -- unrecoverable. It went through v 2 and v 3 updates, so at least two overlays, but one day it just couldn't handle any more flashing. It "was migrated" to the trash. The latter is still going strong.
04-22-2014, 07:15 PM
(04-22-2014 02:00 AM)JimP Wrote:  It went through v 2 and v 3 updates, so at least two overlays, but one day it just couldn't handle any more flashing.

Are you sure it was the flash memory failing? It's rated for several thousand writes. My first development unit had a failing serial port pin which rendered the SAM-BA boot loader inoperative. This one is equipped with a JTAG connector for hardware debugging which supports flashing as well. So I can still use it for hunting the last few bugs that aren't present in the emulator but only on the real device.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
04-23-2014, 06:09 AM
(04-22-2014 07:15 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  
(04-22-2014 02:00 AM)JimP Wrote:  It went through v 2 and v 3 updates, so at least two overlays, but one day it just couldn't handle any more flashing.

Are you sure it was the flash memory failing? It's rated for several thousand writes. My first development unit had a failing serial port pin which rendered the SAM-BA boot loader inoperative. This one is equipped with a JTAG connector for hardware debugging which supports flashing as well. So I can still use it for hunting the last few bugs that aren't present in the emulator but only on the real device.

I can't be certain it was the flash memory, but I do know that it wasn't batteries or its history of having successfully been flashed. If it was the cable connector piece I'd be surprised because the same cable has worked nicely with my HP30b/WP 34s many times. But the 20b itself had been a bit dodgy (keyboard-wise, we all know about that!) and so I'm not certain what to blame. Either way it ended up in the trash!
05-17-2014, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2014 09:52 AM by jebem.)
I confirm that I'm a proud owner of a HP-30B converted into a super RPN WP-34S calculator since a couple of weeks ago.

I find the poll numbers a little on the shy side, even considering that it relates to the MoHPC members.

Out of curiosity, do we have now an official estimate of the existing proper WP-34S machines in use? (by proper I mean HP-20/30B calculators using the official Eric's keyboard overlay)

For instance, crossing the keyboard overlay numbers (only 345 by March...) with the SF downloaded firmware images could give a rough idea of the actual number.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-18-2014, 04:22 PM
(05-17-2014 09:49 AM)jebem Wrote:  I confirm that I'm a proud owner of a HP-30B converted into a super RPN WP-34S calculator since a couple of weeks ago.

I find the poll numbers a little on the shy side, even considering that it relates to the MoHPC members.

Out of curiosity, do we have now an official estimate of the existing proper WP-34S machines in use? (by proper I mean HP-20/30B calculators using the official Eric's keyboard overlay)

For instance, crossing the keyboard overlay numbers (only 345 by March...) with the SF downloaded firmware images could give a rough idea of the actual number.
It is, as I seem to recall someone writing somewhere that Eric had sold 345 or so of them(one to me, I'm not very good at soldering).

Anyhow over the last 5m or so I acquired an additional 3 30bs(they're pretty cheap right now), wanted to keep one as "stock" to see what their "business" calcs were like, one going to leave alone in package, and the third I will experiment on flashing(no timer), and the update my good(Eric) wp-34s to the latest and greatest firmware assuming that my flashing attempts on the guinea pig go well. (Going to try the arduino/holding wires approach, or maybe rig up another easy sort of temp attachment... maybe like some electrical tape and punch the wire ends through over the connections, so it'll (a) hold and (b) align the wires for me w/o having to hold them in place by hand... just thought about this one as a q&d, so I'll need to look to see if there's room to try this...yep checked looks worth an attempt...and no need for an official or cobbled together cable...)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)