Mathematics/Scientific Library for VC++ or VB Development
03-19-2014, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2014 11:01 PM by Sanjeev Visvanatha.)
Mathematics/Scientific Library for VC++ or VB Development
Hello:

I was curious if anybody here has recommendations for a Scientific/Mathematics Library that can be integrated into either Visual C++ or Visual Basic (Express Editions). It is for the purpose of using it within a Windows based console application that performs some engineering calculations.

My basic needs for such a library include:

-Matrix operations (Add, Inverse, Determinant, Multiplication)
-Numerical Integration (of simple functions)

In my search on the subject, I came across the GNU Scientific Library. It seems to be able to integrate into VC++. Any experience with this to share? Any other libraries that may be better suited.

Thanks in advance!

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2014, 02:02 AM
RE: Mathematics/Scientific Library for VC++ or VB Development
(03-19-2014 11:00 PM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  Any other libraries that may be better suited.

Boost has a math component: http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_55_0/lib...index.html

I have not used it personally but have used lots of other boost components and they tend to be relatively easy to integrate.
03-20-2014, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2014 10:41 AM by HP67.)
(03-19-2014 11:00 PM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  My basic needs for such a library include:

-Matrix operations (Add, Inverse, Determinant, Multiplication)
-Numerical Integration (of simple functions)

The old standards seem to be IMSL, LAPACK and BLAS. I suppose you know about those already and have ruled them out for some reason?

If you are willing to spend money then what about NAG? They seem to have a very good reputation and are constantly refining and adding functionality.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
03-21-2014, 01:32 AM
(03-20-2014 02:02 AM)Marcel Samek Wrote:  Boost has a math component: http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_55_0/lib...index.html

I have not used it personally but have used lots of other boost components and they tend to be relatively easy to integrate.
Thank you. I will look into Boost. On first glance, it does not appear to offer Integration routines.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
03-21-2014, 01:36 AM
(03-20-2014 10:10 AM)HP67 Wrote:  The old standards seem to be IMSL, LAPACK and BLAS. I suppose you know about those already and have ruled them out for some reason?

If you are willing to spend money then what about NAG? They seem to have a very good reputation and are constantly refining and adding functionality.

I am looking for a free library if possible. I did not look at the three suggestions you made. I will have a look and post back here if they meet my needs. Thank you.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
03-22-2014, 01:13 PM
list of numerical libraries
03-25-2014, 03:41 AM
(03-22-2014 01:13 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  list of numerical libraries

Thanks much for that list! I guess I'm not looking for stuff THAT deep mathematically. I'm interested in learning to use IEEE-754 binary floating point (32-bit float, 64-bit double) and decimal floating point math - 64 or 128 bit. Can anyone recommend a good book or tutorial on (I think it's called) the DECNUM library? Is this supported by the vast number of microcontroller development environments? (I'm thinking CodeWarrior for Freescale S08 / ColdFire V1 and Precision32 for the SiLabs SiM3U1xx series.)

Or should I just start by opening up the WP-31S / WP-34S source?

Dale
03-25-2014, 07:59 AM
(03-25-2014 03:41 AM)Dale Reed Wrote:  Or should I just start by opening up the WP-31S / WP-34S source?

Why not? It's wide open ...

d:-)
03-26-2014, 12:09 AM
(03-25-2014 07:59 AM)walter b Wrote:  
(03-25-2014 03:41 AM)Dale Reed Wrote:  Or should I just start by opening up the WP-31S / WP-34S source?

Why not? It's wide open ...

Ahhhh. But the question remains, did you use the DECNUM library? Or roll your own? Or....? Knowing you as well as I do Walter, I can only assume that the code is ridiculously well documented for every function call, so it would OBVIOUSLY be a great tutorial for someone brand new to using the library you used.....
03-26-2014, 07:03 AM
(03-26-2014 12:09 AM)Dale Reed Wrote:  But the question remains, did you use the DECNUM library? Or roll your own? Or....? Knowing you as well as I do Walter, I can only assume that the code is ridiculously well documented for every function call, so it would OBVIOUSLY be a great tutorial for someone brand new to using the library you used.....

Coding's Pauli's cup of tea in that project (and sometimes Marcus takes a nip, recently more frequently) Wink

03-26-2014, 12:08 PM
How about Math.Net?

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-26-2014, 11:13 PM
(03-26-2014 12:08 PM)eried Wrote:  How about Math.Net?

Is Math.net Numerics available for Windows? I could not see that on their website.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
03-27-2014, 12:37 AM
(03-26-2014 11:13 PM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  
(03-26-2014 12:08 PM)eried Wrote:  How about Math.Net?

Is Math.net Numerics available for Windows? I could not see that on their website.

Sanjeev,

From what I see in the second paragraph on the page you referenced, it is available for Windows .Net 4:

Quote:Math.NET Numerics is part of the Math.NET project and is the result of merging dnAnalytics with Math.NET Iridium, replacing both. It targets Microsoft .Net 4, .Net 3.5 and Mono (Windows, Linux and Mac), Silverlight 5, WindowsPhone 8, Windows 8/Store (PCL 47, 136) and Android/iOS (Xamarin).
03-27-2014, 09:05 PM
Sure it is, and since is 100% managed code it runs everywhere, mono in the Pi, xamarin stuff in phones, etc.

Right click "references" and click "nuget manager". Search for math.net in the online store, click install (adds everything to the project automatically).

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-29-2014, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2014 05:47 PM by Sanjeev Visvanatha.)
Math.net Numerics looks pretty good, actually. I have the additional constraint of only having VC++ Express Edition at work. As far as I can see, Math.net Numerics will not install on Express Editions.

I have started using GNU Scientific Library. This should do for now.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)