I'd really like to see some imrovements to the in-calculator program editor.
11-19-2017, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2017 02:37 PM by salvomic.)
RE: I'd really like to see some imrovements to the in-calculator program editor.
(11-19-2017 02:24 PM)DrD Wrote:  Don't forget the 19" rack mount adapters with pre-drilled holes for the standard screw slots! And ... fans. cooling fans; we need fans! (Don't we all?)

yes, we do, really, it's very important, indeed.

For joke, the future Prime emacs editor built-in (still in ...beta) Smile

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2017, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2017 02:43 PM by TravisE.)
RE: I'd really like to see some imrovements to the in-calculator program editor.
What was that saying again? Something about how the longer a conversation goes on the chances of it approaching a vi vs. emacs argument approaching 1? Smile

(11-19-2017 10:56 AM)webmasterpdx Wrote:  
Code:
:1,$s/\([^ ]\)\([a-zA-Z]\)\([a-zA-Z]*\)\([a-zA-Z]\)\([ $]\)/\1\4\3\2\5/g

I know you can do the same things in emacs, but you'd have to write a script for each....in vi you can just do it on the fly...no scripts needed....and like I said, fits in 10K.

Emacs can do it without writing a script. For instance, something like:
Code:
M-x replace-regexp
\(\w\)\(\w*\)\(\w\)
\3\2\1

So I guess the only concern is those 10K now. Wink
Find all posts by this user
11-19-2017, 02:52 PM
Salvo,

This all reminds me of some of the old radio gear I had. An E. F. Johnson Viking Ranger, xmtr, and a Collins R-390 receiver mounted in a 19" rack. I used them with two model 19 teletype machines, and I traded them for a model 28 tty with the chadless typing reperf! All set up for autostart. Now that was a ham shack full of equipment (in my garage at the time)! A lot of water has been passed under the bridge since then ... but talk about the '60-70's!

Did you ever get into the RTTY side of ham radio? That was a lot of fun, and I sure learned a LOT about digital technology from just that piece of the hobby. I was in on the Baudot to ASCII converter project that w6ffc (and others), was so famous for. Remember the ST-6, with the UART speed shifter? I built one of those, with a few other hams that lived nearby. Eventually, acquired a model 33asr, and so on through the calculators and computers to this day.

Looking backwards, we made quantum leaps in technology, in just a few decades, didn't we? Sometimes I wish I could look forward, to see what the grand children will be looking back on, technology-wise, before I croak.

-Dale-
11-19-2017, 03:55 PM
(11-19-2017 02:52 PM)DrD Wrote:  Salvo,

This all reminds me of some of the old radio gear I had.
Now that was a ham shack full of equipment (in my garage at the time)! A lot of water has been passed under the bridge since then ... but talk about the '60-70's!
Dave,
me too: rtx everywhere, but I like the old ones Smile

Quote:Did you ever get into the RTTY side of ham radio? That was a lot of fun, and I sure learned a LOT about digital technology from just that piece of the hobby. I was in on the Baudot to ASCII converter project that w6ffc (and others), was so famous for. Remember the ST-6, with the UART speed shifter? I built one of those, with a few other hams that lived nearby. Eventually, acquired a model 33asr, and so on through the calculators and computers to this day.
yes, RTTY, ASCII and the "old" Packet (as also CW, a very very old analogically-digitally mode, hi, that most people enumerated among digi modes), then PSK31 seemed to me modern news, without UART and DB9 around... Me too, assembled some home-brew digital interfaces...

Quote:Looking backwards, we made quantum leaps in technology, in just a few decades, didn't we? Sometimes I wish I could look forward, to see what the grand children will be looking back on, technology-wise, before I croak.

-Dale-

yes, but grand children, here, don't like that old "decadent" stuff, they (maybe, not sure: the problem is "like they really HAM?") have new SDR with spectroscope, digital keyer... and also DMR and so on: too many things, so they haven't got passion for the hobby...

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
11-19-2017, 04:24 PM
(11-19-2017 02:24 PM)DrD Wrote:  Don't forget the 19" rack mount adapters with pre-drilled holes for the standard screw slots! And ... fans. cooling fans; we need fans! (Don't we all?)

You have overlooked how portable the Prime is.....
The only fans I need are warming fans to keep my hands warm.
Whereas my handheld transmitter quickly gets too hot to hold.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
11-19-2017, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2017 06:08 PM by salvomic.)
(11-19-2017 04:24 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  You have overlooked how portable the Prime is.....

hi Stephen,
to warm my hand I use always the RTX (not the antenna *while* I'm transmitting): it works (their fans not always) Smile
However, a Prime with fan would be ...a fun Smile

Salvo

11-19-2017, 06:33 PM
(11-19-2017 10:56 AM)webmasterpdx Wrote:  ...take a file of text and swap the first and last characters of each word. If you can't do that quickly in one or two commands, it's not an editor worth my time.

I've been programming since 1969 in FORTRAN, BASIC, COBOL, PL/I on micros to mainframes using various text editors and have never needed to swap the first and last characters of each word. Why would you want to do that?

Tom L
Cui bono?
11-19-2017, 08:54 PM
That's not the issue. It's the pattern matching capability, which I use almost every day. I just chose that to test it's capability.
11-19-2017, 09:09 PM
LOL, I found this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor_war

;-D
11-19-2017, 09:20 PM
(11-19-2017 09:09 PM)webmasterpdx Wrote:  LOL, I found this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor_war

;-D

LOL Smile
32 years of insulting, and now TextMate (on Mac OS X) is better than both them, hi.

11-19-2017, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2017 09:48 PM by DrD.)
(11-19-2017 04:24 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  

You have overlooked how portable the Prime is.....

That always seems to happen when you use those cheap qrp batteries for running a kw on your ht, trying to qsl that rare dx for your wac certificate.

(And you thought the Prime had trouble with international languages ... )

-wa7bqb-

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)