HP 85: tape drive capstan replacement
12-02-2017, 08:57 PM
HP 85: tape drive capstan replacement
My newly acquired HP 85B will need repair of its tape drive.

Unfortunately I have no experience in that, nor do I have the tools and skills to create my own capstan replacement.
Now I found a source on TAS - a guy from Hongkong offers a replacement capstan, rubber-coated, for $ 50.-. The assembly seems to be very easy. I asked whether the new capstan is compatible with QIC tapes, but didn't get an answer. Installing a new capstan that is not QIC compatible wouldn't make much sense, since the old tapes aren't reliable any more at all, right?
So can I assume that the offered item is what I need, because otherwise it would be an almost useless part?
( By the way, I know that another small modifcation (additional resistor) would be necessary to complete the QIC tape modification. But that seems to be done relatively easy).

Maybe anyone knows a better (cheaper?) source for this replacement part?

I'd also be happy to find a repair partner in Europe ( because of shipping costs).

By the way: Once the modification is done, which exact type of tape (DC200 ? manufacturer? ) would you recommend for use (easy to get, reliable )?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2017, 09:25 PM
RE: HP 85: tape drive capstan replacement
Hi Michael,

My tape drive was modified by Larry Atherton. http://stores.ebay.com/la-tech-renewal

In addition to turning a new capstan and changing the write current resistor, a larger hole needed to be cut in the PCB to accomodate the larger door on the QIC tape cartridges. The refurb included two prerecorded tapes and two blanks. I can't identify the mfg but I don't think there's anything special about them except this from Larry's literature.

Tape Note1: The QIC cassette cartridges available from us use tape stock with the correct FTPI- and Oe-rating for the tape drive in your HP-85. Tapes from other sources, may not produce the same data read/write reliability. To maintain the reliability of your QIC tape-drive system, please obtain QIC cassettes from us (price is currently $39.95 each).

I also got two printer belts from Larry.

The drive is now compatible with both the DC100 and QIC40 cartridges, though I haven't found a DC100 cartridge that isn't deteriorating to bits.

Dave
12-02-2017, 09:46 PM
Thank you for your quick help, Dave.
Unfortuntely I'd have to pay around $ 300.- just for shipping my HP 85 back and forth from Germany to California, not really an option.
12-02-2017, 09:58 PM
(12-02-2017 09:46 PM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  Thank you for your quick help, Dave.
Unfortuntely I'd have to pay around $ 300.- just for shipping my HP 85 back and forth from Germany to California, not really an option.
Even though Larry's close to me, I shipped him only the tape drive. That should be significantly less. However, Larry's fees are not cheap, but he has the best reputation with 85 refurbs.
12-02-2017, 10:45 PM
Just shipping the tape drive seems feasible. I will ask Larry about his fees.
But maybe I'm lucky and someone living in Europe offers a tape drive repair service also.
12-02-2017, 10:56 PM
(12-02-2017 10:45 PM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  Just shipping the tape drive seems feasible. I will ask Larry about his fees.
But maybe I'm lucky and someone living in Europe offers a tape drive repair service also.

I agree, local is easier. Try posting an inquiry at https://groups.io/g/hpseries80.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)