macOS High Sierra & Clonix - Anyone knows how to do that?
12-03-2017, 08:21 PM
macOS High Sierra & Clonix - Anyone knows how to do that?
Hi, due to work my whole computing environment has shifted from PC to MacBook over the last 8 years. As such, I have everything on Mac now, and no access to a windows machine.

I wanted to get acquainted again with the NoV64 (I actually cant find my CLONIX) and was able to locate my trust old CLONIX programmer and even the little PCB tab that Diego build for us where the module is placed onto for programming.

Alas, of course, the Clonix Utility is a Windows program.

So I actually spent last evening, night (and wee hours of the morning) installing Parallels, Windows 10, .net Framework 3.5 on my MacBook pro, all of which succeeded to the point of me being able to launch the ClonixConfig.exe inside parallels (running Windows 10). However, upon trying to Proceed with the burning, I got the error "there is an error communicating with the COM port".

When checking the devices in Windows, it seemed that the device automatically detected for the burner was not really running (see error img here)

I tried the various update driver options but with no success. I also pointed to the folder from Diego which has USB drivers but only until Vista.

Would love to hear if anyone has a setup on High Sierra that works and how they got it. My Nov64 is in need of some images!!!

Thank you!

PeterP

Cheers,

PeterP
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2017, 08:51 PM
RE: macOS High Sierra & Clonix - Anyone knows how to do that?
I program using a PICkit 2 and pk2cmd on Mac, but last time I used it was on El Capitan. I have not tried it on High Sierra yet (which I am running now).

The programmer software pk2cmd can be obtained here: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/De...rce.tar.gz

To plug in the HP-41 Clonix-NoV module I use a small home made adapter to the adapter that Diego provides.

Håkan
12-03-2017, 08:58 PM
(12-03-2017 08:51 PM)hth Wrote:  I program using a PICkit 2 and pk2cmd on Mac, but last time I used it was on El Capitan. I have not tried it on High Sierra yet (which I am running now).

The programmer software pk2cmd can be obtained here: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/De...rce.tar.gz

To plug in the HP-41 Clonix-NoV module I use a small home made adapter to the adapter that Diego provides.

Håkan

Thanks Håkan, very helpful!. I'll start by getting the PICkit2 pkcmd. Would you mind posting an image (or pm me a link) of the adapter? Lastly, is it easy to incorporate the pkcmd into the ClonixUtility workflow, can I select it somewhere, or do I have to do something different after I have configured how I'd like my NoV64 to look like?

Thanks again for your quick reply!

Cheers

Peter

Cheers,

PeterP
12-04-2017, 05:56 PM
I keep an XP VM (VMware) around for exactly this type of activity.

I'm waiting for a few more High Sierra updates before I upgrade. I can test again with and without VMWare in 3 weeks.

I cannot recall if I did or did not have problems using parallels vs vmware. I've historically used VMware without issue (IIRC). I did switch to parallels for a few years, but IIRC, I had too many oddities and switched back to VMware.

I've had some luck with Wine as well flashing devices, e.g. 34S.
12-04-2017, 05:59 PM
(12-04-2017 05:56 PM)Egan Ford Wrote:  I cannot recall if I did or did not have problems using parallels vs vmware. I've historically used VMware without issue (IIRC).

I'm using Parallels 13.x under Mac OS X 10.13.x (High Sierra) in a Macbook, without problems.

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2017, 08:04 PM
(12-04-2017 05:59 PM)salvomic Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 05:56 PM)Egan Ford Wrote:  I cannot recall if I did or did not have problems using parallels vs vmware. I've historically used VMware without issue (IIRC).

I'm using Parallels 13.x under Mac OS X 10.13.x (High Sierra) in a Macbook, without problems.

@salvomic, do you work with the ClonixUtility in Parallels, and if so which programmer are you using? Or was your comment more about using Parallels in general?

@Egan, great to read from you! Have you been using Clonix and a programmer in VMWare? The tricky bit for me seems to be accessing the COM's port out of the VM. Should have kept a WinXP copy somewhere...

Cheers,

PeterP
12-04-2017, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 08:10 PM by salvomic.)
(12-04-2017 08:04 PM)PeterP Wrote:  @salvomic, do you work with the ClonixUtility in Parallels, and if so which programmer are you using? Or was your comment more about using Parallels in general?

I meant I'm using Parallels in general to run Windows, i.e. to get running Connectivity Kit for the Prime, or HP39II Connectivity Kit and other HP software; so I think your program should run well in this system.

I keep installed both Win10 and XP and they run smoothly, without issues.

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)