The NumWorks calculator evolves quickly.
12-06-2017, 12:41 AM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2017 12:45 AM by compsystems.)
The NumWorks calculator evolves quickly.
Includes a preliminary version of CAS and much more
https://translate.google.com/translate?s...&edit-text=

Original info,
https://tiplanet.org/forum/portal.php

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2017, 08:09 AM
RE: The NumWorks calculator evolves quickly.
Wow -- are they actually teaching Python now in "seconde"? It's over 30 years since I was in a "lycée" so things must have evolved hugely since then. At the time (and this is in a so-called "lycée technique"), the only computing classes available were in an extracurricular club where we were taught "LSE" (Langage Special pour l'Education, a kind of BASIC with the keywords translated into French).
12-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Interesting. As said, if they are still there at the end of 2018, could be that the product would be quite impressive.

I hope they keep improving it (with the help of the community).

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
01-21-2019, 01:44 AM
Hello!

For your information, I tried this with the New 2DS XL and SmileBasic 3.6.0. with the same parameters as in this video, but with 20 instead of 10 iterations.
The result: 5 seconds and it's finished.
The program is directly transcoded from then numworks Python to 2DS Basic with similar commands, if possible.

I think the 2DS is extremly fast for graphical output. I have tried different graphical examples from numworks, it was everytime fast.

But I have got a numworks now and I will try some examples with the newest firmware. I will report about this.

Bernd
01-23-2019, 03:01 AM
(12-06-2017 12:25 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Interesting. As said, if they are still there at the end of 2018, could be that the product would be quite impressive.

I hope they keep improving it (with the help of the community).

Well, it's Jan 2019 and they're still there with software version 10.0.
It's getting better all the time!

Tom L
Cui bono?
01-23-2019, 05:57 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2019 05:58 AM by Stevetuc.)
(01-21-2019 01:44 AM)berndpr Wrote:  Hello!

For your information, I tried this with the New 2DS XL and SmileBasic 3.6.0. with the same parameters as in this video, but with 20 instead of 10 iterations.
The result: 5 seconds and it's finished.
The program is directly transcoded from then numworks Python to 2DS Basic with similar commands, if possible.

I think the 2DS is extremly fast for graphical output. I have tried different graphical examples from numworks, it was everytime fast.

But I have got a numworks now and I will try some examples with the newest firmware. I will report about this.

Bernd

Hi Bernd
Could you post your smilebasic code here or in the software section?
Steve
01-23-2019, 08:48 PM
Hallo!

1. The newest firmware for the numworks is now 9.2.0.
There is a big gap between firmware 1.8.1 and 9.2.0. Why? I don't know.
I have updated it last monday and it doesn't work with my Mac.
But with Windows, after a driver and Google Chrome installation (no, Firefox can't been used!).
The numworks was delivered with version 1.5.

2. I have used the mandelbrot program from numworks (https://workshop.numworks.com/python/num...mandelbrot) and not from youtube, because the number range are not identical.

And this my SmileBAsic Version:
ACLS
M=MILLISEC
W=319
H=221
N=20
FOR X=0 TO W
FOR Y=0 TO H
ZR=0
ZI=0
CR=3.5*X/W-2.5
CI=-2.5*Y/H+1.25
I=0
WHILE I<N && ZR*ZR+ZI*ZI<4
INC I
S=ZR
ZR=ZR*ZR-ZI*ZI+CR
ZI=2*S*ZI+CI
WEND
C=255*I/N
GPSET X,Y,RGB(C,C*.75,C*.25)
NEXT
NEXT
PRINT FORMAT$("%4.2F sec",(MILLISEC-M)/1000)

Time: 2.90 seconds

Numworks 9.2.0 with similar Python mandelbrot(20):
Time: 55 seconds (with stop watch)

MILLISEC: the milliseconds from start of the BASIC
ACLS: All Clear screen (Reset the all grafic screens and grafic settings)
N: Iterations (20 with both calcs)
W and H are the screen ranges of numworks (2DS has 400*240 with the top screen). Both calcs count from Zero.
ZR and CR are real part of the complex numbers
ZI and CI are the imaginary part of the complex numbers
Complex numbers must be explicit calculated. No problem for me, because I'm electro engineer.
The first numworks firmware hasn't complex functions, but in the newer one they are the included.
GPSET: Graphic point set

I hope this will help you.
Bernd
01-23-2019, 09:54 PM
The big number gap between 1.8.1 and (1).9.2.0 is because the NumWorks team decided to drop the leading "1". I wondered too if it was a typo until it was clarified on TI-Planet.

I'm not surprised that the 2DS is way faster than the NumWorks hardware. The 2DS's processor and especially the memory subsystem are a lot faster, but I guess the major bottleneck here is the NumWorks's screen controller, which is optimized for full-screen blitting in one operation and not lots of individual set_pixel() operations, as the framebuffer is not memory-mapped.

You can time operations now with the time module as it was introduced in the 9.2.0 version. It's not shown on the toolbox, but time.monotonic() will allow you to keep track of time in your scripts.
01-24-2019, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2019 06:04 PM by toml_12953.)
(01-23-2019 08:48 PM)berndpr Wrote:  Hallo!

1. The newest firmware for the numworks is now 9.2.0.
There is a big gap between firmware 1.8.1 and 9.2.0. Why? I don't know.
I have updated it last monday and it doesn't work with my Mac.
But with Windows, after a driver and Google Chrome installation (no, Firefox can't been used!).
The numworks was delivered with version 1.5.

No, as of Jan 20, 2019 the latest version is 10.0. You don't get the latest version from the automatic update site. If you have OSX, Linux or install MSYS2 on Windows which lets you compile Linux programs, you can go to

https://github.com/numworks/epsilon

and get the latest code. I'm running 10.0 right now.

Tom L
Cui bono?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)