Where to get blank 41C overlays?
01-20-2018, 08:55 PM
Where to get blank 41C overlays?
Does anybody know of a good source for blank (i.e. pencil-compatible) overlays for a 41C? I rarely make use of assignable keys, because I'd never remember where I put anything. Seems like there would be something out there, even if just die-cut card stock.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2018, 12:22 AM
RE: Where to get blank 41C overlays?
following the thread...

Q: maybe you can try making your own with a sheet of thick paper? but I think you'd spend a lot of time cutting all the holes for the keys. Just a thought...

Software Failure: Guru Meditation

--
Antonio
IU2KIY
Find all posts by this user
01-21-2018, 12:26 AM
(01-21-2018 12:22 AM)TheKaneB Wrote:  following the thread...

Q: maybe you can try making your own with a sheet of thick paper? but I think you'd spend a lot of time cutting all the holes for the keys. Just a thought...

Yeah, if there's a good template PDF available, I could print it on a sheet of card stock, but it would be a heck of a lot of work with an X-Acto knife to get it ready for use.
01-21-2018, 12:34 AM
Try this site for creating and printing your own overlay. A scale can be included to help getting an accurate reproduction by reducing or expanding a copy.

http://hp.meshuggeneh.net/

Check eBay as well for HP-41 keyboard overlay kits. They show up now and then, but I wouldn't go more than about twenty dollars for a set.

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
01-21-2018, 01:32 AM
(01-21-2018 12:34 AM)mfleming Wrote:  Try this site for creating and printing your own overlay. A scale can be included to help getting an accurate reproduction by reducing or expanding a copy.

http://hp.meshuggeneh.net/

Check eBay as well for HP-41 keyboard overlay kits. They show up now and then, but I wouldn't go more than about twenty dollars for a set.

~Mark

That actually turned out pretty nice. There's enough space around the keys and labels to pencil in some user assignments.

01-21-2018, 02:01 AM
Don't forget you can click on each key to customize the top and left-hand side label, specify label color and overlay color. Or if you wanted your blank overlay, you can just clear away the default labels. It's really a nice little utility! Bless those unsung contributors.

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
01-21-2018, 02:14 AM
(01-21-2018 02:01 AM)mfleming Wrote:  Don't forget you can click on each key to customize the top and left-hand side label, specify label color and overlay color. Or if you wanted your blank overlay, you can just clear away the default labels. It's really a nice little utility! Bless those unsung contributors.

~Mark

Yeah, this is pretty handy! Maybe eventually I'll do some with customized pre-printed labels, if I make a layout I really like.
01-21-2018, 03:15 AM
(01-21-2018 02:14 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(01-21-2018 02:01 AM)mfleming Wrote:  Don't forget you can click on each key to customize the top and left-hand side label, specify label color and overlay color. Or if you wanted your blank overlay, you can just clear away the default labels. It's really a nice little utility! Bless those unsung contributors.

~Mark

Yeah, this is pretty handy! Maybe eventually I'll do some with customized pre-printed labels, if I make a layout I really like.

Also note that if you slightly enlarge the horizontal size of the 4 bottom rows, and cut the vertical segment 2 over from the right of the edge of the Enter key opening, you will have a very usable reversible overlay, so you can write labels on both sides.

Depending on the thickness of card stock used, this will give you 6-8 (3-4 sheets) overlays installed on your 41 at a time.

--Bob Prosperi
01-21-2018, 05:00 AM
(01-21-2018 12:26 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  but it would be a heck of a lot of work with an X-Acto knife to get it ready for use.
A nice 3D printable project would be to create a 2 plastic/metal parts who would remove the contour and holes from a paper overlay.
The first one would sit on the table and receive the uncut paper overlay.
The second one would go over the other one to be pushed by the user to effectively cut out the paper excess.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)