SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch
03-02-2024, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2024 01:24 PM by rprosperi.)
RE: SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch
(03-01-2024 05:59 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  That data blocker is an interesting concept, but fast charging relies on the data lines, so your charging will then be limited to probably 1 amp at 5 volts (or maybe 2 amps at 5 volts in some limited cases) which will be quite slow.

I am not too concerned with it since most of the time if there is a data connection it would rely on you confirming the popup asking to make a data connection to your phone, so the only way it otherwise could access your phone is if it exploits a not-yet-fixed vulnerability.

I normally bring my own charger so I can get QuickCharge which public chargers generally don't have, but if all I have available is a USB port I'm just going to plug in. I don't wear an aluminum foil hat either.

Bold of you to brave the cruel world of options with no safety shield upon your head.

As noted, these are more for folks that don't know better and will plug-in anywhere. Like you, I carry my original charger which supports all modes. I don't fear being jacked, but I do know that there are more AC ports in the world that USB charge ports.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2024, 01:06 PM
Good advice about keeping your own charger, and interesting to hear the feedback from others.

My original point was 'nothing beats cubic inches' as they used to say in the Harley Hog days.
The Type C has 0.5mm pin spacing instead of the standard USB 2.5mm..

Hence all the advice on the Net about using compressed air to keep debris out of the tiny socket pins.

Here's one engineer's reasoned take:

"On the 24 pin USB-C interface connector 4 pins are assigned to the +5V supply and 4 pins are assigned to the GND/return. The maximum current delivered by this port is 3A. This means that the port is rated to deliver a maximum of 15 watts. If the current is equally divided among 4 pins, each pin carries 750 mA. That is indeed a rather high current density for such small pins but in practice, since no revision of the standard has been issued, it is reasonable to assume that this high current density has not proven to be an issue.
Admittedly, this high current density does not seem to be consistent with conservative design practices and it is possible that in practice, few applications require anywhere near the full 15W rated power."

https://community.frame.work/t/usb-c-lon...blem/32547
https://www.wevolver.com/article/solving...s-problems

Whether Brussels was right to jump on this bandwagon is an existential question.
Neither the UK or the USA are following their lead. The Swiss will do their own thing as always.
03-02-2024, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2024 01:34 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello!

(03-02-2024 01:06 PM)MinkLib Wrote:  Neither the UK or the USA are following their lead. The Swiss will do their own thing as always.

Id did a quick research: Switzerland has already adopted USB-C as standard for charging since January 2024 - one year before the EU! Since Swiss Micro calculators are not rechargeable they can of course use for their data connection whatever they want.

India, as the most populated country in the world, will mandate USB-C for charging a few months after the EU.

In China USB-C has been the unofficial industry standard since some years, even if there seems to be no specific law.

Apple is de-facto moving towards USB-C already now, the newest iPads and iPhones come with USB-C connectors and all the newer MacBooks can be charged via USB-C (although some still retain the clever MagSafe connector as an alternative).

And last but not least, the State of California will mandate charging via USB-C from 2026 onward!

Regards
Max
06-14-2024, 04:31 AM
RE: SwissMicros Announces DM41X
Just ordered one. My wife is going to kill me!
RH
06-14-2024, 03:14 PM
(06-14-2024 04:31 AM)knife31 Wrote:  My wife is going to kill me!

Don't worry. The case of the DM41X is made of steel and can be used as a shield!
Smile

My Collection: 55, 67T, 25PLP, 34C, 15C, 16C, 41CV, 41CX, 41-CL, DM41X, DM42, 42S, 48G, 71B, 75C, 95LX, HP-150, Portable+, HP-86, Integral PC.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-14-2024, 03:54 PM
(06-14-2024 04:31 AM)knife31 Wrote:  Just ordered one. My wife is going to kill me!
RH
Why would you tell her? Make her happy and don’t bother her with minutia of what you do in your spare time…
06-14-2024, 04:22 PM
(06-14-2024 03:54 PM)vaklaff Wrote:  
(06-14-2024 04:31 AM)knife31 Wrote:  Just ordered one. My wife is going to kill me!
RH
Why would you tell her? Make her happy and don’t bother her with minutia of what you do in your spare time…
yes. there are few strategies how to make it..
one of them is:
a) keep cash at work: take regularly few bugs every week.. put it in a box at work
b) ask a colleague to buy it and give the cash to him
c) .. dont say everything (they all will not understand)

HP71 4TH/ASM & Multimod, HP41CV/X & Nov64d, PILBOX, HP-IL 821.62A & 64A & 66A, Deb11 64b-PC & PI2 3 4 w/ ILPER, VIDEO80, V41 & EMU71, DM41X, HP75D
06-15-2024, 07:19 AM

My wife sometimes asked me how many calculators I had and I minimized...
Then for my first Swissmicros (DM32) I told her that it was too expensive and that I was limiting my spending... she offered it to me for Christmas!
After the first use she was happy to see that when I turned off the DM32 a photo of our children appeared.
For my birthday I got a DM42 which also has my children's photos.

Now my wife no longer asks me how many calculators I have, and now I have all the DMs (DM32, DM42, DM10L, DM11L, DM15L, DM16, DM41L, DM41X).
The others DM were purchased by me, new at Swissmicros or used.
This mainly cost me the development of my interfaces to exchange my programs between emulators (PC and Android) and each of my calculators...

http://ti58c.phweb.me
http://clones.phweb.me
http://www.instagram.com/ti58c
"No! Do or Do not. There is no try!" [Master Yoda]
06-16-2024, 03:59 AM
Well
Mines a pharmacy Tech and uses a HP-12C regularly. Haven't trained here very well on changing the batteries, but I've been working on it for 30 years. Must be why she keeps me around.

My collection HP 11C(2) second one died along with one of the 12C's/PX11C/12C(3)/12CPlat/15CE/PX15C/16C/18/25/28S/35/35S/41CV(2)/DM41L/DM41X/45 my first calculator 1977, well not my first that was a 4 function one I bought in Japan 1975. You could make words if you turned it upside down, who new./48S traded for the GS/48GS/55 sold it stupid of me/67/97(2)/95LX/accessories out the wazu, ROMs, printers, HP-IL, Digital Cassette, AME Box. My file cab is full of manuals and I have 135Gigs of downloads. I should read some of it sometime. I'm a retired military helicopter pilot and my 11C, that and a Jeppeson CR-2 have been all over the world, lots of military programs that I wrote or got from others.
So many HP's so little time.
RH Smile
06-17-2024, 06:28 PM
RH

There's a service that will print you a receipt for what you told your wife you spent as opposed to what you actually spent!

Tom L
Cui bono?
06-17-2024, 09:51 PM
The SwissMicros range seems quite wide now, and they all seem enhanced relative to their respective Hp models I'd like to buy one, for engineering use rather than for collection. Which would you advise? based on:

Really clear display, two lines would be enough with a preference for larger characters with great contrast rather than very fine text. I consider my hp15c-ce to have a good display clarity, better than my hp35S though there's no alpha characters. I have an Hp39gii and can't read it at all.

Alphanumerics for reading program lines and setting up text prompts in software.

Input and output interface to pc, for storage and backup. USB C preferred, but USB b is ok.

Great tactile-feeling buttons

Basic scientific functions with solve, complex numbers and integration.

Any advice?
06-17-2024, 10:43 PM
(06-17-2024 09:51 PM)Johnh Wrote:  The SwissMicros range seems quite wide now, and they all seem enhanced relative to their respective Hp models I'd like to buy one, for engineering use rather than for collection. Which would you advise? based on:

Really clear display, two lines would be enough with a preference for larger characters with great contrast rather than very fine text. I consider my hp15c-ce to have a good display clarity, better than my hp35S though there's no alpha characters. I have an Hp39gii and can't read it at all.

Alphanumerics for reading program lines and setting up text prompts in software.

Input and output interface to pc, for storage and backup. USB C preferred, but USB b is ok.

Great tactile-feeling buttons

Basic scientific functions with solve, complex numbers and integration.

Any advice?

While both the DM32 and DM42 likely meet your criteria, I would recommend the DM42. It has a superior programming model (compatible with the HP-41C), better alphanumeric prompt/output capabilities (again compatible with the HP-41C), better support for complex numbers (same as the HP-15C), Matrix support, simple graphing capabilities and sound (multi-tone beeper). The only requirement you had that may be an issue is "Great tactile-feeling buttons". Some people really like the DM42/DM32 button feel, some don't. YMMV.
06-17-2024, 10:45 PM
(06-17-2024 09:51 PM)Johnh Wrote:  Any advice?

I'm not really the best vendor...
Having all the DMs from SwissMicros I still find it difficult to have a preference.
If I had to make a ranking I would probably put the DM41X in the lead ahead of the DM42 then the DM32.
For the quality of the screens and keyboards I find all three excellent.

The 41X is the worthy heir of the HP-41CX with all the power of the HP-41 language plus most of the usable ROMs.
I also use printing with the HP 82240B Infrared printer.
And I have all my programs on my PC transferable via USB.
I use my own interface to exchange my programs between PC and Android emulators and my DM41X, HP-41CV and PX41CX calculators.
[Image: interf_EN.jpg]

Otherwise for your own choice you can already consult the corresponding HP documentation since the Swissmicros respect the functionalities of the original calculators.

06-17-2024, 11:11 PM
(06-17-2024 10:45 PM)Pierre Wrote:  The 41X is the worthy heir of the HP-41CX with all the power of the HP-41 language plus most of the usable ROMs

except for the very glaring lack of HP-IL, which along with interface converters, gets you to IEEE-488, RS-232, parallel, and other GPIO.  As KeithB said about HP-IL (in the context of the 71), "the HPIL/GPIB/GPIO interface can let you control just about anything on the planet - and with an RPi ethernet bridge, you can control the rest. 8^)"  The HP-41 was very slow in operating HP-IL; but the DM41x would make a huge improvement there, while keeping software compatibility.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
06-18-2024, 09:44 AM
(06-17-2024 09:51 PM)Johnh Wrote:  Basic scientific functions with solve, complex numbers and integration.

The DM42 is the only one that can display a complex number on one line, either in a+bi or (a,b) form. So if, say, greater than 30% of your day-to-day use involves complex numbers then it is the clear choice.
06-18-2024, 11:58 PM
I have a plan. I get a rolodex load it up with all the HP's, then I can select the one that has the function I need. Workin on how to put the HP-97 in there, may have to put it in sideways. My new 41X can hook up to my neat new USB mini-B cable that comes now with everything I buy at the store. Electrician can install 50 or so plugs for chargers. E-bay for an old HP-IL device for hook-ups. Finally the 15 year old kid down the street to write code. Nirvana
RH!
06-19-2024, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the advice above. I'm still deciding, but i like the idea of the dm32, with its particularly bold display which is a huge issue with somewhst poor eyeight. Also it's the most modern for connectivity.And the features have a lot in common with my HP35S However, the keys get a bit busy, with four functions printed at or around each one being a base function, two g and f shifted functions and an Alpha character.

I'd be happy with Free42, put exactly into a physical form, with a big two-line display instead of squeezing more on.as in dm42

Also[/u] intrigued by the Voyager-shsped version of a 41x. It seems reasonably accessible but clear and compact.
06-19-2024, 05:11 PM
(06-19-2024 01:37 PM)Johnh Wrote:  Thanks for the advice above. I'm still deciding, but i like the idea of the dm32, with its particularly bold display which is a huge issue with somewhst poor eyeight. Also it's the most modern for connectivity.And the features have a lot in common with my HP35S However, the keys get a bit busy, with four functions printed at or around each one being a base function, two g and f shifted functions and an Alpha character.

I'd be happy with Free42, put exactly into a physical form, with a big two-line display instead of squeezing more on.as in dm42

Also[/u] intrigued by the Voyager-shsped version of a 41x. It seems reasonably accessible but clear and compact.

Keep in mind that the DM42 has many options as to what it displays, including one that shows only the X and Y registers. It also has adjustable fonts so you can make them larger. You can even make each line larger or smaller in size.

See the DM42 User Manual for more information on these options.
https://technical.swissmicros.com/dm42/d...ack_layout

Also see the following video review of the DM42 for a good overview of this model.
SwissMicros DM42 Review
06-22-2024, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2024 04:24 PM by johnb.)
(06-18-2024 11:58 PM)knife31 Wrote:  I have a plan. I get a rolodex load it up with all the HP's, then I can select the one that has the function I need.

ROTFL! Someone should actually build a Calculator-Rolodex (or is that a Rolodex-Calculator?) and post videos of it online.

"Hi children! Can you say 'über nerd'? I thought you could!"

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.
06-22-2024, 06:33 PM
(06-22-2024 04:23 PM)johnb Wrote:  
(06-18-2024 11:58 PM)knife31 Wrote:  I have a plan. I get a rolodex load it up with all the HP's, then I can select the one that has the function I need.

ROTFL! Someone should actually build a Calculator-Rolodex (or is that a Rolodex-Calculator?) and post videos of it online.

"Hi children! Can you say 'über nerd'? I thought you could!"

[Image: s-l960.webp]

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)