NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
06-06-2024, 08:55 PM
RE: NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
Does anyone know the details of TheCalculatorStore's patches to increase the debounce time? I have the cable and a bouncy HP-15C CE already, but don't know which memory locations to patch.

— Ian Abbott
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2024, 11:11 PM
(06-06-2024 08:55 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  Does anyone know the details of TheCalculatorStore's patches to increase the debounce time? I have the cable and a bouncy HP-15C CE already, but don't know which memory locations to patch.

Try sending Divasson an email or a PM.
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/user-1020.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2024, 05:53 PM
(10-22-2023 02:02 PM)Felix Stehli Wrote:  I just got my 15C CE (#04613, Made in Philippines) and I'm not happy with it. The reason is keys not registering or bouncing. Pressing the keys very firmly and releasing them fast seems to improve the situation, but it is still annoying. As most people do not have similar issues, I suppose it being a hardware problem.

Same here (seller: digitec.ch). Two items have the same bug. Pressing 123456789 leads to different images like the ones in the attachment.
Annoying when pressing +, -, * or other operators, becaus using RPN, you never know, if it has been pressed only once.
07-24-2024, 10:12 PM
(06-06-2024 08:55 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  Does anyone know the details of TheCalculatorStore's patches to increase the debounce time? I have the cable and a bouncy HP-15C CE already, but don't know which memory locations to patch.
https://hpcalcs.com/download/
Why didn't anyone report this here?
07-25-2024, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2024 03:56 PM by cdmackay.)
Because it's only just been announced today? Smile

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-22078.html

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot/C47
Casio, Rockwell 18R
07-25-2024, 08:16 PM
Bricked one of my15CE units
Help!!!!!!!!

I downloaded the instructions and install SAM-BA. I followed the sintructions and SAM_BA displayd COM4 as the port used. I seelected the file recommended and clicked the Connect button. I got the second bigger dialog box, but I could not find any BIN file. Mr Genius here clicked on the Execute Script button which erased the firmware ... I saidto myself "Nice going dumass!".

Can this unit be restored? Anyone here can help? I would send it to them.

:-(

Namir
07-25-2024, 08:36 PM
(07-25-2024 08:16 PM)Namir Wrote:  Help!!!!!!!!

I downloaded the instructions and install SAM-BA. I followed the sintructions and SAM_BA displayd COM4 as the port used. I seelected the file recommended and clicked the Connect button. I got the second bigger dialog box, but I could not find any BIN file. Mr Genius here clicked on the Execute Script button which erased the firmware ... I saidto myself "Nice going dumass!".

Namir

Hi, you can repeat the process as many times as needed (hold-ERASE, RESET, release-ERASE). When you connect, you're not selecting a file but a processor model. In the bigger dialog box, you need to navigate through your file system to find the .bin file you have downloaded from hpcalcs. Be careful of setting the address to 04000 ! Then you can press "send" again.
07-25-2024, 08:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2024 09:13 PM by Namir.)
(07-25-2024 08:36 PM)Divasson Wrote:  
(07-25-2024 08:16 PM)Namir Wrote:  Help!!!!!!!!

Namir

Hi, you can repeat the process as many times as needed (hold-ERASE, RESET, release-ERASE). When you connect, you're not selecting a file but a processor model. In the bigger dialog box, you need to navigate through your file system to find the .bin file you have downloaded from hpcalcs. Be careful of setting the address to 04000 ! Then you can press "send" again.

I think I bricked the first unit by deleting the booting firmware of the Amtel processor. I tried again with a second unit (and this time very carefully). I realized that the SAM-BA is selecting COM4 (the USB drive does not show the COM file mentioned in the instructions). Clicking Connect takes me to the secondng disalog box, but I cannot find the .bin file!!!! What is the name of the bin file? Not findi the .bin file, I stopped my second attempt.

Namir
07-25-2024, 10:17 PM
The name of the file is HP_IAR_USB_120ms.bin, to be downloaded from hpcalcs.com/download by clicking on the "HP15c CE Firmware Update" link.

The SAMBA program does not allow to write on the boot area, so most likely it is not bricked. I have done around 400 units and not been able to brick a unit yet!
07-26-2024, 02:59 AM
(07-25-2024 10:17 PM)Divasson Wrote:  The name of the file is HP_IAR_USB_120ms.bin, to be downloaded from hpcalcs.com/download by clicking on the "HP15c CE Firmware Update" link.

The SAMBA program does not allow to write on the boot area, so most likely it is not bricked. I have done around 400 units and not been able to brick a unit yet!

Thank you very much Jose! I was able to download the .bin and VoyagerSave.exe files.

Namir
07-26-2024, 02:25 PM
Sucess with the second HP-15CE unit upgrade. Now I try toresurrect the firts unit.

Namir
08-12-2024, 01:42 AM
Just received my first Voyager calculator the HP-15C CE. Very happy. Extremely well made, keys are wonderful, screen is beautiful. Now to explore the calculator abilities in detail…

Thank you The Calculator Store

Own: HP-45:HP-41CX:HP-32SII:HP 6S:HP-42S(32K):HP-35s:HP-48GX:HP-15C CE
I/O: HP82242A:HP82240B:HP82104A
08-22-2024, 12:06 AM
I received my HP-15c CE today in apparently perfect condition. There was no film covering the bezel or display or keyboard; however, the bezel has no scratches. The bezel appears to be laquered, where my old 12c appears to be anodized. The keys feel wonderful. Time will tell if they bounce.

Serial # is 09318. Getting near the end of the first run?

Lot # seems to be the same as everyone else's. The lot # sticker is peeling off. So much for perfect - maybe I'll return the calculator. ;-)

I bought it from Amazon US. Amazon Canada would not ship to me in Vancouver, nor would they ship to me at my US address. ??? I found no confidence in hpofficesuppy.com; I wondered if it was a legit business. Shipping cost to the US changed from "FREE" to ~$15 during checkout. Shipping cost to Canada was higher than the cost of the calculator.

I'm new to this forum, so I didn't know about Eric Rechlin; I would definitely order from him next time, and will surely get programming cable and HP16 overlay from him. I saw Eric Rechlin's video about creation of the manual; he has an enviable compulsion.

The screw holding the battery cover is a big ugly lump. And likely ineffective - as an infant I had a screwdriver before I had a rattle. Duracell's flavored batteries too are questionable.

In the olden days we would "test" a 9V battery by touching the terminals to the tongue to evaluate the tingle. My older cousin had a portable vacuum tube radio; the B+ battery looked just like an elongated 9V battery, and had very similar terminals. My cousin invited me to "test" that battery. !@#$!!! I survived, presumably because the shock discouraged me from swallowing the battery.

Many thanks to all responsible for the reincarnation of this wonderful calculator; many thanks to those who continue to support it.

Tony Z
08-23-2024, 02:41 AM
(08-22-2024 12:06 AM)Auricle Wrote:  I received my HP-15c CE today in apparently perfect condition. There was no film covering the bezel or display or keyboard; however, the bezel has no scratches. The bezel appears to be laquered, where my old 12c appears to be anodized. The keys feel wonderful. Time will tell if they bounce.

Lot # seems to be the same as everyone else's. The lot # sticker is peeling off. So much for perfect - maybe I'll return the calculator. ;-)

I bought it from Amazon US. Amazon Canada would not ship to me in Vancouver, nor would they ship to me at my US address. ??? I found no confidence in hpofficesuppy.com; I wondered if it was a legit business. Shipping cost to the US changed from "FREE" to ~$15 during checkout. Shipping cost to Canada was higher than the cost of the calculator.

I'm new to this forum, so I didn't know about Eric Rechlin; I would definitely order from him next time, and will surely get programming cable and HP16 overlay from him. I saw Eric Rechlin's video about creation of the manual; he has an enviable compulsion.

Tony, what is the lot number on your 15c CE unit? Is it 9CJ323 or 9CJ351?

Royal Consumer Information Products is a legitimate business. They are an official HP licensee. As you mentioned, their website is HP Office Supply (hpofficesupply.com).

I ordered two units of the 15c CE from HP Office Supply in Nov 2023. The ordering process and service were fine, but the shipping cost was a bit high. I paid $47.54 to ship both units via FedEx Ground Home Delivery to my location in Wisconsin US.

Both of my 15c CE units are from lot 9CJ323 with serial numbers 04808 and 04809. Both units had scratches on the bezel due to no protective film. I decided to keep both units anyway.

I intend to order two more units of 15c CE, but only if I can verify that they will be from lot 9CJ351. My understanding is that units from lot 9CJ351 have protective film on the bezel. I may or may not order again from HP Office Supply. My selection of a supplier depends primarily on verification that the units will be from lot 9CJ351.

Calling HP Office Supply consumer support to verify the lot number will probably accomplish nothing. My intention is to call the HP Office Supply shipping center in Easton PA to verify the lot number from which they are shipping 15c CE units. I haven't had a chance to do that, but will soon. I may or may not be successful, but it's worth a try.
08-23-2024, 02:55 PM
(08-23-2024 02:41 AM)Peter Ketcham Wrote:  
(08-22-2024 12:06 AM)Auricle Wrote:  I received my HP-15c CE today in apparently perfect condition. There was no film covering the bezel or display or keyboard; however, the bezel has no scratches. The bezel appears to be laquered, where my old 12c appears to be anodized. The keys feel wonderful. Time will tell if they bounce.

Tony, what is the lot number on your 15c CE unit? Is it 9CJ323 or 9CJ351?

Royal Consumer Information Products is a legitimate business. They are an official HP licensee. As you mentioned, their website is HP Office Supply (hpofficesupply.com).

I ordered two units of the 15c CE from HP Office Supply in Nov 2023. The ordering process and service were fine, but the shipping cost was a bit high. I paid $47.54 to ship both units via FedEx Ground Home Delivery to my location in Wisconsin US.

Both of my 15c CE units are from lot 9CJ323 with serial numbers 04808 and 04809. Both units had scratches on the bezel due to no protective film. I decided to keep both units anyway.

I intend to order two more units of 15c CE, but only if I can verify that they will be from lot 9CJ351. My understanding is that units from lot 9CJ351 have protective film on the bezel. I may or may not order again from HP Office Supply. My selection of a supplier depends primarily on verification that the units will be from lot 9CJ351.

Calling HP Office Supply consumer support to verify the lot number will probably accomplish nothing. My intention is to call the HP Office Supply shipping center in Easton PA to verify the lot number from which they are shipping 15c CE units. I haven't had a chance to do that, but will soon. I may or may not be successful, but it's worth a try.

Might be better to contact commerce.hpcalc.org for such questions
08-23-2024, 03:19 PM
(08-23-2024 02:41 AM)Peter Ketcham Wrote:  I ordered two units of the 15c CE from HP Office Supply in Nov 2023

I purchased mine from a 3rd party seller. A few more dollars but it didn't have any flaws.

Since then I've purchased a programming cable and have updated the firmware.

(08-23-2024 02:41 AM)Peter Ketcham Wrote:  Calling HP Office Supply consumer support to verify the lot number will probably accomplish nothing.

Agreed. Larger sellers just pick one out of stock and ship it without looking. Any photo's etc are marketing ones. Maybe you get what you want. Maybe not.

A1

HP-15C (2234A02xxx), HP-16C (2403A02xxx), HP-15C CE (9CJ323-03xxx), HP-20S (2844A16xxx), HP-12C+ (9CJ251)

08-23-2024, 07:31 PM
Today I called the Royal Consumer Information Products shipping center in Easton PA. I found their street address on the shipping carton of the two 15c CE units that I purchased in Nov 2023. From that I obtained their phone number.

The employee I spoke with was very helpful. I verified that they are currently shipping 15c CE units from lot 9CJ351. I also verified that they have no units remaining from lot 9CJ323.

I will now place an order for two 15c CE units at hpofficesupply.com and see what happens.
08-24-2024, 12:33 AM
Quote:I paid $47.54 to ship both units via FedEx Ground Home Delivery to my location in Wisconsin US.

That's nasty, especially when "FREE Shipping" appears elsewhere during checkout.

My lot# is 9CJ323.

No film, no scratches, lots of clearance between the calculator and the box "window", and the calculator is firmly held by the packaging. I wonder where the scratches are coming from.

Thank you for your reassurances re Royal Consumer Products. Still at $140 to Vancouver, I will be using alternatives. Amazon worked, but I think supporting the contributors here is the way to go.

There is currently no retail outlet for HP calculators in Vancouver BC. In years gone by, all the university and college bookstores sold them, and HP would offer a substantial discount at start of term. Now, all that is offered is TI, Casio, and Sharp. No RPN.

Best,
Tony Z
08-30-2024, 02:26 AM
(08-24-2024 12:33 AM)Auricle Wrote:  
Quote:I paid $47.54 to ship both units via FedEx Ground Home Delivery to my location in Wisconsin US.

That's nasty, especially when "FREE Shipping" appears elsewhere during checkout.

My lot# is 9CJ323.

No film, no scratches, lots of clearance between the calculator and the box "window", and the calculator is firmly held by the packaging. I wonder where the scratches are coming from.

I reviewed the screen shots from the order I placed with Royal Consumer Information Products at their HP Office Supply website on 07 Nov 2023. I do not see any mention of free shipping in the screen shots. My shipping options for two 15c CE units were: FedEx Ground Home Delivery: $47.54, FedEx Second Day: $88.60, FedEx Standard Overnight: $182.36. However, see my next post where I did receive free shipping.

My understanding is that units with scratched or abraded bezels are from lot 9CJ323 which did not have any protective film on the bezels. My guess is that the scratches and abrasions occur during transit due to contact between the bezel and the plastic display window of the presentation box. However, see my next post regarding my experience with two units from lot 9CJ351.
08-30-2024, 03:18 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2024 03:38 AM by Peter Ketcham.)
As expected, I recently placed an order for two 15c CE units from Royal Consumer Information Products at their HP Office Supply website (hpofficesupply.com). Here is a summary of my experience.

I placed my order for two 15c CE units on Fri 23 Aug 2024 and paid $129.99 for each unit. I selected free shipping via FedEx Ground Home Delivery to my location in Wisconsin US. The ordering process was smooth and the website seemed a little better compared to the order I placed on 07 Nov 2023.

My order arrived on Thu 29 Aug 2024. As anticipated, both units are from lot 9CJ351 with serial numbers 12991 and 12994. Both units have protective film covering the bezel area. The units were carefully packaged and neither the presentation box nor the shipping box showed signs of damage.

Unfortunately, despite the protective film, both units have damaged bezels. The damage is quite different in character than the damage on the units I received in Nov 2023 from lot 9CJ323. With these two units from lot 9CJ351, the damage is on either the right or left side of the bezel and appears to be from something mechanical that is pressing hard on the bezel. It is clear that the damage is taking place *after* application of the protective film. I concluded this because the protective film has imprints identical to the damage on the bezel directly under the protective film. The imprints look like they might be from some sort of mechanical clip that is holding the calculator and placing it in the presentation box, but that is just a guess. I can post some photos if there is interest.

When I first found out about the 15c CE in 2023, I was very excited and intended to purchase six units: three units for myself and three units as future gifts. I have now purchased four units (two from lot 9CJ323 and two from lot 9CJ351) and all four have damaged bezels of some sort. I want to support this project of bringing back the HP 15c, so I am keeping all four units. After all, the damage is only cosmetic and doesn't affect functionality. But I admit I am a bit disappointed since these calculators are beautifully produced and otherwise flawless in appearance.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)