HP Forums
Polar and Cartesian on the Same Graph? HP Prime - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Polar and Cartesian on the Same Graph? HP Prime (/thread-16849.html)

Polar and Cartesian on the Same Graph? HP Prime - 123jkl123jkl - 05-01-2021 03:40 AM

Hi, is there a way to graph polar and cartesian on the same graph on the HP Prime? In other words, can I graph r(theta) = r*sin(theta) and x^2+y^2=1 on the same plot?

Thanks.

RE: Polar and Cartesian on the Same Graph? HP Prime - StephanP - 05-01-2021 05:31 AM

I'd say: go parametric
convert your fourmula/equation

[attachment=9438]

RE: Polar and Cartesian on the Same Graph? HP Prime - StephenG1CMZ - 05-01-2021 07:19 AM

A less mathematical alternative could put the two graphs on the same screen rather than on the same graph.

I was thinking:
Draw a graph
Save a bitmap
Draw 2nd graph
Load image of 1st graph with some transparency.

Which has the advantage that you don't need to rewrite every equation you may want to share a graph with.
But it's not exactly on the same graph.

RE: Polar and Cartesian on the Same Graph? HP Prime - 123jkl123jkl - 05-01-2021 12:31 PM

Thanks guys, I'll keep that in mind. These ways are a good work around to check if my Cartesian to Polar conversions are correct.

RE: Polar and Cartesian on the Same Graph? HP Prime - TheLastMillennial - 05-01-2021 02:45 PM

Doesn't the Geometry app have this functionality? I've haven't used it much but I know there's the option for all the different types of graphing.

RE: Polar and Cartesian on the Same Graph? HP Prime - 123jkl123jkl - 05-01-2021 10:47 PM

Ah yes the Geometry app! This is what I was looking for! You can use plotpolar() and plotimplicit() to graph your polar and cartesian functions respectively. Thank you TheLastMilennial! I watched your in-depth review on the Prime G2 not to long ago and it was great!