HP Forums
EMU48 - Is it possible to create Port 3 (SD)? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: EMU48 - Is it possible to create Port 3 (SD)? (/thread-17858.html)

EMU48 - Is it possible to create Port 3 (SD)? - Michael Lopez - 12-27-2021 10:46 PM

Hi all,

Hope you are all having a lovely Christmas holiday.

I've been updating the Emu-50g set-up on my various PCs & was wondering if it is possible to create Port 3 (SD card)? On my real HP50g's I have links to various files & applications on the SD card & if possible would like to replicate the same set-up in Emu-50g.

Have searched on the internet but can't seem to find anything regarding the creation of an SD card port in Emu48.

Thanks,

Michael

RE: EMU48 - Is it possible to create Port 3 (SD)? - Claudio L. - 12-28-2021 03:01 PM

(12-27-2021 10:46 PM)Michael Lopez Wrote:  Hi all,

Hope you are all having a lovely Christmas holiday.

I've been updating the Emu-50g set-up on my various PCs & was wondering if it is possible to create Port 3 (SD card)? On my real HP50g's I have links to various files & applications on the SD card & if possible would like to replicate the same set-up in Emu-50g.

Have searched on the internet but can't seem to find anything regarding the creation of an SD card port in Emu48.

Thanks,

Michael

I don't know Emu48, but x49gp does have support for SD card simulation. If you have programs that need it, it's an option.

RE: EMU48 - Is it possible to create Port 3 (SD)? - Michael Lopez - 12-28-2021 11:32 PM

Hi Claudio,

Thanks as I hadn't heard of x49gp.

Have downloaded x49gp from the hpcalc website & it's capabilities sound very interesting. Only issue is that the version I downloaded is for the Mac OS & I am running PCs. Is there a version that is suitable for PCs?

Cheers,

Michael

RE: EMU48 - Is it possible to create Port 3 (SD)? - 3298 - 12-29-2021 09:37 AM

Of course! As long as the PC is running any of a number of Unix-like operating systems: BSD, Solaris, most flavors of Linux, ... (technically MacOS belongs here as well, since Apple's computers really aren't mainframes but personal computers too.) Big Grin No changes needed, even - the same source is meant to compile on all of these without modifications.

If you're still stuck on Windows for some reason, use a VM or WSLg. I haven't heard of anyone testing x49gp on WSLg yet, but since Microsoft gave up on their "NT kernel personality" approach and switched to a VM-based architecture, it should just work because it really is Linux behind the scenes. As far as I know, the only thing that isn't normal Linux about it is the Wayland-RDP bridge posing as a compositor and window manager, which is what brings the Linux guest's windows into the Windows host's system, without the window-nested-within-a-window effect of generic VMs that support graphical applications.

RE: EMU48 - Is it possible to create Port 3 (SD)? - ijabbott - 12-29-2021 11:34 AM

(12-29-2021 09:37 AM)3298 Wrote:  If you're still stuck on Windows for some reason, use a VM or WSLg. I haven't heard of anyone testing x49gp on WSLg yet, but since Microsoft gave up on their "NT kernel personality" approach and switched to a VM-based architecture, it should just work because it really is Linux behind the scenes. As far as I know, the only thing that isn't normal Linux about it is the Wayland-RDP bridge posing as a compositor and window manager, which is what brings the Linux guest's windows into the Windows host's system, without the window-nested-within-a-window effect of generic VMs that support graphical applications.

One stumbling block for WSLg is the need to upgrade to Windows 11 first.