HP Forums
HP 41 Bluetooth - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: HP 41 Bluetooth (/thread-19673.html)

HP 41 Bluetooth - Docj - 03-18-2023 08:20 AM

Hallo,

i have got an idea.

For the Coconut there are a lot of modules available.

So I think it would be nice if there was a module which make it possible to use the HP 41 as a input device for Computers via Bluetooth.

That device could substitute an Number pad for computers . It would combine tradition with modernity.

What did you think about such an module? Did you know something about such an Module?

With kind regards
Juergen Richter

RE: HP 41 Bluetooth - rprosperi - 03-18-2023 11:59 AM

There is no such module available, but I agree it would be really nice to have one of these; in fact, I'd probably purchase more than one as soon as available.

In my case however I would use it for moving ROM images back and forth from the 41 to a PC, something which even in 2023 is still not simple, even with the latest HP-IL storage emulators, 41CL, etc. etc.

RE: HP 41 Bluetooth - Diego Diaz - 03-20-2023 06:20 PM

Hi Juergen, Robert,

Such a BT module will indeed pose a great addition to the always growing set of peripherals for the 41 system.

Nonetheless, the 'simple' .ROM file transfer to/from 41<>PC can be done with just a USB-41 configured with option "HP<>PC pg. transfer" available in the ClonixConfig ver 6.1 and its companion utility "USB-41-5.exe".

Not as convenient as a wireless BT interface but still fully functional. :-)

Best wishes from the Canary Islands.

Diego.

RE: HP 41 Bluetooth - PeterP - 03-21-2023 06:43 PM

And such transfer works mostly under windows, not as seamless / easy under macos or linux….

So BT would be real nice!

RE: HP 41 Bluetooth - brouhaha - 03-21-2023 07:30 PM

I have a lot of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) expertise, and could possibly work on such a thing. What king of user experience would people expect of such a product?

I can imagine several scenarios:

1. BLE module acts like an HP-IL module, using the HP-IL and printer XROM numbers and commands, with the connected computer acting like HP-IL devices: mass storage (disk, tape), printer. Drawback: can't be used simultaneously with actual HP-IL or printer

2. Like #1, but assigned different XROM numbers. Drawback: can't use standard printer functions for Bluetooth. Advantage: can use simultaneously with HP-IL and other printers.

3. Has some entirely new command set we invent

RE: HP 41 Bluetooth - MeindertKuipers - 03-22-2023 08:41 AM

In my opinion the best thing would be something that emulates HP-IL, as this is already fully integrated in the HP41 ecosystem with several emulators on the host side.

RE: HP 41 Bluetooth - ThomasF - 03-22-2023 08:56 AM

I also have had this idea going on in my head for a while (using either BT or WiFi) to connect the 41 to the rest of the world.
Makeing a wireless HPIL would be great, but also a huge effort as I see it.
A simpler way would be to build a "NoV-WiFi", using the work by Diego but replacing the I2C RAM with ie an ESP32 as a I2C slave. Then the 41 could access memory in the ESP, at the same time the ESP could be read or written to by an external device (ie a PC using WiFi or BT).
Just an idea, I have not checked if the timing would be possible, but if working we could copy ram-pages back and forth wirelessy with a very small footprint ...

Just my 2 cents ...

Cheers,
Thomas

RE: HP 41 Bluetooth - Massimo Gnerucci - 03-22-2023 10:47 AM

I am waiting for Tony's BT: after Classics, Topcats and Spices maybe he will tackle the 41 too...

:)

RE: HP 41 Bluetooth - PeterP - 03-22-2023 11:12 AM

(03-21-2023 07:30 PM)brouhaha Wrote:  I have a lot of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) expertise, and could possibly work on such a thing. What king of user experience would people expect of such a product?

I can imagine several scenarios:

1. BLE module acts like an HP-IL module, using the HP-IL and printer XROM numbers and commands, with the connected computer acting like HP-IL devices: mass storage (disk, tape), printer. Drawback: can't be used simultaneously with actual HP-IL or printer

2. Like #1, but assigned different XROM numbers. Drawback: can't use standard printer functions for Bluetooth. Advantage: can use simultaneously with HP-IL and other printers.

3. Has some entirely new command set we invent

I like the idea of HP-IL as probably the most seamless experience. I am not sure however about HP-IL emulators for MacOS and/or Linux. With the majority of emulators being windows/Dos based I have had a hard time connecting my hp41 to a computer and/or run 41/71 emulators. But that seems a more isolated user problem, which can be solved with virtual machines etc.

RE: HP 41 Bluetooth - Sylvain Cote - 03-22-2023 12:12 PM

(03-22-2023 11:12 AM)PeterP Wrote:  I am not sure however about HP-IL emulators for MacOS and/or Linux.
Python IL Peripherals (pyILPR) has been available for years and it runs on macOS/Linux/Windows.

RE: HP 41 Bluetooth - MeindertKuipers - 03-31-2023 01:54 PM

(03-18-2023 11:59 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  There is no such module available, but I agree it would be really nice to have one of these; in fact, I'd probably purchase more than one as soon as available.

In my case however I would use it for moving ROM images back and forth from the 41 to a PC, something which even in 2023 is still not simple, even with the latest HP-IL storage emulators, 41CL, etc. etc.

Just collecting some thoughts about this topic for a potential new project. What would be your ideal solution for moving ROM images back and forth? Personally I am OK with the serial transfers to my HP41CL, I must admit that you have to remember the physical address and enter information on both the HP41CL and the host computer. That is where I make typing mistakes or forget to set the correct baud rate or comms delay.

RE: HP 41 Bluetooth - Craig Bladow - 04-01-2023 02:57 AM

(03-31-2023 01:54 PM)MeindertKuipers Wrote:  Just collecting some thoughts about this topic for a potential new project. What would be your ideal solution for moving ROM images back and forth? Personally I am OK with the serial transfers to my HP41CL, I must admit that you have to remember the physical address and enter information on both the HP41CL and the host computer. That is where I make typing mistakes or forget to set the correct baud rate or comms delay.

My ideal solution would bypass any dependency on a connection to a PC and use WiFi to connect to programs and module images served across the internet. Battery life would be be a concern with WiFi so a larger form factor similar to the 41 card reader could bring along extra battery capacity. An example of what can be done is WIC64 which connects a Commodore 64 directly to a server on the internet to download many different applications.