WP34S overlay - anyone still making ?
06-11-2023, 07:27 AM
RE: WP34S overlay - anyone still making ?
(06-05-2023 03:25 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  
(06-03-2023 02:53 PM)johnb Wrote:  (BTW, the reason I mentioned "matte finish" is that I have both a WP34s and a WP31s. The 34 has a matte overlay, but my 31's overlay is somewhat shiny... which I've discovered is VERY annoying!)

A question for you related to this -- how glossy it is is largely determined by how thick of a layer of protective finish I put on it. Was the 31s overlay more durable than the 34s overlay? Since it was more shiny I would hope it was, because of the extra coat of spray I presumably used. If it wasn't then maybe I should save the hassle and put less clearcoat on the overlays when I resume making them (though honestly it's tricky and the vinyl I am using now is inherently slightly shinier than the vinyl I used to use).

I haven't used both enough to know for sure, but just judging by the seat of my pants (can I call it "engineer's intuition"?) the 31s overlay probably IS more durable.

That having been said, personally I'd rather deal with having to renew my overlay more often and have the matte finish -- that finish (to me) is really really nice and makes the machine more pleasant to use. Most of what I do during the workday, my 31s is sufficient for, yet I find myself reaching more often for the 34s (or one of my HP's) just because of the glare on the 31s keyboard.

Thanks for asking!

And, I'm sure there are probably other "WP" afficionados here that feel exactly the opposite to the way I feel, so you might want to take a little survey to see which camp predominates...

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WP34S overlay - anyone still making ? - johnb - 06-11-2023 07:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)