HP41 with Pico RP2040 attached, update
06-14-2024, 11:56 PM
RE: HP41 with Pico RP2040 attached, update
(06-14-2024 05:13 PM)MeindertKuipers Wrote:  Here is a brief update on my HP41 with RP2040 Pico adventures.

I have had PCB's made for a next step in development, one with a module connector and the second with the Pcio. This is really a development setup to get rid of the very fragile breadboard. Most functions of the PCB work really good, but there are some mistakes that I am fixing on a new version of this PCB of which prototypes have been ordered.

On the functional side there have been no changes, under the hood a lot is changing. One is a change to C++ to enable better integration with the tools that Thomas has made and to make the code better, and I am finally switching over to a new and much better command line interface. In addition I have started to create documentation.

When I have verified the updated PCB a kit will be offered to beta testers with a shoppinglist for components so you can build your own. Some soldering skills required. Initial firmware release will be with a limited set of functions. And you will have to supply your own module connector.

The final product will be an HP41 (long) module. For that I am looking for support to create a suitable 3D printed module housing. The product will be named TULIP4041, short for The ULtimate Intelligent Peripheral for the '41.

I have pictures of the development board, and a render of how the final product could look in my DropBox: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/mhbdilhl5...jdsnc&dl=0

All information for TULIP4041 will be open source, including the schematics, PCB's and all firmware sources.

Capabilities of TULIP4041:
- HP41 bus tracer with disassembler
- Full ROM/QROM/MLDL emulator with bankswitching
- User Memory and Extended Memory emulation
- Virtual HP-IL & PILBox emulation to a host PC with pyILPer or ILPer
- Micro SD card slot for IL drive simulation and access to ROM, MOD, RAW files
- IR printing with Blinky and much much more
Most of the above features are still in development. Firmware upgrade is really easy.
TULIP4041 is NOT a low power device and should use an external power source most of the time, although it will run on HP41 batteries. And you will have to supply your own module connector!

Many thanks to Andrew for inspiring this project and Thomas for a lot of support and code. HP-IL emulation is based on V41 sources from Christoph and EMU41 by Jean-Francois, from whom I also learned from his PILBox. Thanks to others here in this community for their ongoing support.

Like this module housing? https://www.shapeways.com/product/L99GKC...arketplace
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP41 with Pico RP2040 attached, update - Monte Dalrymple - 06-14-2024 11:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)