HP 15c CE - New firmware update officially available!
08-07-2024, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2024 09:23 AM by borjam.)
RE: HP 15c CE - New firmware update officially available!
(08-07-2024 01:28 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  That's a brilliant discovery. If true, it probably explains why there is so much variation between different users' experiences, and if fixed as you suggest, I suspect we'd have a much more reliable keyboard for more users.

Maybe you can implement a user handshake of sorts. Instead of executing the code associated with a keypress upon detection, hold until the calculator is ready to detect the next keypress. So, if the user presses a number don't update the display until the calculator is ready for the next key press. Or if you run something like a trascendental function, run it but don't update the display until ready.

Actually in the original Voyagers it works in a similar way. The calculator is much slower, so any keypress takes time.

For example I own an original HP-16C with a perfectly reliable keyboard. If I press a number, say, 5 times in the quickest way I can, it will register 4. And that's a timing issue.

The high speed of the calculator is great if you write an expensive program or use an expensive function.

I can't believe that the reliability difference between the old Voyagers and the recent examples (LE(*) or the latest CEs) is only due to the keyboard construction. It must be a timing issue.

(*) The LE is an off topic in this thread discussing Moravia made CEs, but I own an LE and the keyboard is unusable. Bounces, keys that don't register... A pretty prop. Meanwhile an old HP-10C that was in storage for 30 years works perfectly.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP 15c CE - New firmware update officially available! - borjam - 08-07-2024 09:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 20 Guest(s)