Recovering non-responsive buttons on 42S
10-02-2020, 11:56 AM
RE: Recovering non-responsive buttons on 42S
(10-02-2020 02:00 AM)GreyUser Wrote:  
(10-01-2020 11:14 AM)BillBee Wrote:  Another good link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8wS95wK4bI

I don't know if Logan is a member here but I have watched a lot of his great vids.

-B

IMO A rather poor opening method. Use the common method of reducing the heat stakes with a twist drill. You will absolutely bugger up the case and probably bend the crap out of the aluminum bezel with the method in that video.

Next issue is choice of foam pad replacement material. Worst choice ever. That 3M double sided tape is acrylic foam which has horrible compression memory, the exact opposite of what you want which is either a polyurethane or silicone rubber based material.

As for removing the logic board, you really should use a pair of duck bill pliers. Anything else just makes the job unnecessarily more difficult.

Yah, okay, it’s on 20S, no huge loss. But a 42S? Please don’t abuse a 42S like that, is it totally unnecessary.

Hi GU,

For my 32S I used a drill bit to "thin out" the upper rivets and was able to pop those easily - no plate distortion. The lower 6 (4?) were forced with out case damage too. But for reassembly the top of the bottom rivets had to trimmed a bit to fit back into the upper half receiving holes. Mind you the calc was processor dead from corrosion so it was for a learning experience.

I must admit the method of using heat to peal back the face plate to gain access to the top of the lower studs was considered versus the "brute force" method. I might pick up another dead one and try that.

What type of foam strip do you recommend?

I have repaired a 48 and replacement of the foam is the best. Shimming works for a very small period.

Thanks for sharing your experience,
Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Recovering non-responsive buttons on 42S - BillBee - 10-02-2020 11:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)