HP 39gs bricked? (pressing Reset + and - won't do anything)
05-28-2022, 06:07 PM
RE: HP 39gs bricked? (pressing Reset + and - won't do anything)
(05-28-2022 01:48 PM)Kevin Ouellet Wrote:  Could it be that I pressed the reset too hard a previous time and busted it? I've tried with an easier to insert pin that fits even more perfectly, and I pressed + and - in multiple orders or simultaneously before, during or after hitting reset, and nothing happened.

That's always a possibility of course.

I have a 39gs flashed with newRPL. I can fully reset it by:
  • remove all the batteries, including the coin cell
  • power over USB connected to a PC
  • rest the calc on its edge on the desktop, press and hold + and - together
  • then insert a paperclip into the back pressing hard enough as if to trigger a micro-switch (except that there is no micro-switch 'click' response on mine)
  • remove the paperclip
  • then release the + & - keys simultaneously
and the "1) UPDATE CODE 2) SELFTEST" boot screen should be displayed. Pressing 2 for self test then does a very quick test and drops into newRPL and it's all set to use (remembering to put the batteries back!)

Lastly: do check your batteries carefully. I got my 39gs out of the drawer where it had been for a while and one of the batteries had completely died while the other 3 were showing 1.3v each. The calc was not a happy bunny with batteries in this state!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP 39gs bricked? (pressing Reset + and - won't do anything) - BruceH - 05-28-2022 06:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)