Will HP Make Real Calculator Again?
12-27-2022, 08:45 PM
RE: Will HP Make Real Calculator Again?
(12-27-2022 06:53 PM)pier4r Wrote:  What are some realistic use cases for calculators?

1. Students on the go.
2. Students at home.

Some observations on student use of calculators:

One of my kids got a TI30-something financed by the PTA in the third grade of high school and never needed anything more advanced through high school as things beyond the TI30'x capabilities were done with GeoGebra, a very comprehensive maths app. For exams they used the school's computer room (which probably eliminated any possibility to access illicit materials).

Another kid was advised to buy a TI nSpire for a technically oriented school but hardly ever used it as most stuff was done on laptops anyway. He didn't even take it with him when he left for university.

Practically all HP Primes sold second-hand here (as well as TI nSpires , 92s and 200s) are sold as "used for school/university only" or even "used for a single exam only".

I don't do business with banks very often but the last time I got a quote for a loan everything was done on a PC in a web application with no HP12C or other calculator in sight. They probably figure that to be less error-prone than copying interest rates into a calculator and transferring the results into the app again when a deals is struck.

Newer HP10B models are sold quite frequently but those were probably bought for school use as well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will HP Make Real Calculator Again? - Siegfried - 12-27-2022 08:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)