What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X)
06-04-2023, 04:45 PM
RE: What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X)
(06-04-2023 09:51 AM)parisse Wrote:  I believe that the Classpad calculator is dead, at least it's what you deduce from amazon sales. It's not really a calculator because you need the stylus, and it's not a touchscreen like the Prime. You can not predict the future of graphing (CAS or non CAS, Casio or other brands) calculators from the Classpad.
My opinion is that the total number of high-end calculator sales (price>125$) will continue to decline, but at the same time, lower priced calculators will have more and more capabilities. As an illustration, I estimate that the Casio CAS most popular calculator is no more the Classpad but the FXCG50 with KhiCAS: I got a new record of 580 downloads of the English addin version last month (and 1840 hits on the documentation).
And it's not that clear that tablets or smartphones will replace calculators in the educational market, this was already predicted 10 years ago but dit not happen yet. Calculators keep some advantages: hardware keyboard, lower battery consumption, more robust, no social network distraction, it's easier to allow them during tests.

I agree ref the ClassPad calculator being a dead hardware offering. But this is what Casio see as the future of ClassPad - https://classpad.net/intl/ - and it's already been a big success in Australasia, where it made a big splash during COVID. It subsequently won a number of prestigious awards from the education sector. I'm sure Texas Instruments have been taking notes, and will likely launch something similar for the US education sector.

Rather than writing an essay on the subject, I've taken a number of screen grabs and have put together a mini presentation to give a flavour of how the service works, what's free, and what has to be paid for as a subscription. Texas Instruments and Casio have always supplemented their hardware calculators with desktop facsimiles. This is the first time one of them has completely replaced the hardware calculator with a browser based alternative.

[Image: uh3YqR]
[Image: xDr3YF]
[Image: RnosPV]
[Image: KPFpKm]
[Image: KaiUgu]
[Image: naH3zc]
[Image: NT6wtB]
[Image: 8ywMSH]
[Image: 5NPIyp]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X) - jonmoore - 06-04-2023 04:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)