Corrections in new PDF User Guide
02-08-2018, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2018 04:32 PM by JMB.)
Corrections in new PDF User Guide
This time we've had the new FW 13333 and the HP Prime user guide 3rd edition available at the same time, which is great! This edition explains the new calculator's features, like the 3D graphics app, or te reworked Financial and Explore apps.

I have found nonetheless, some explanations that are outdated, and that I hope can be corrected in a future edition. here is what I've found (UPDATED. Added points 7, 8 and 9):
  1. In page 62, the first paragraph says "Much of the function of the HP Prime calculator is provided in packages called HP apps. The HP Prime calculator comes with 18 HP apps: 10 dedicated to mathematical topics or tasks, three specialized Solvers, three function Explorers, a spreadsheet, and an app for recording data streamed to the calculator from an external sensing device."
    Now there are 17 HP apps, 11 dedicated to mathematical topics, and one unified Explorer.
  2. In page 131, the first paragraph says: "Outside of the CAS, this template is used to find the derivative of a function at a point. In this case, the denominator is of the form X = a, where a is a real number. In order to indicate our more formal preference here, we enter the denominator as X = X, as shown in the following figure"
    Now there is no need for "=X". You can write as well: d F1(X) / d X.
  3. In page 384 the explanation of the [a b/c] key says: "Decimal to fraction conversion. In Home view, toggles the last entry in Home view between decimal, fraction, and mixed number forms. If a result from the History is selected, then it toggles the selection through these forms. Also works with lists and matrices. In CAS view, it only toggles between decimal and fractional equivalents, and adds them as new entries to the History.
    Example: .....
    Now the [a b/c] key in Home cycles through →Qπ, then PDQ fraction, then mixed fraction, and then back to decimal.
  4. In page 542, the first image shows the Physics constants.
    The values shown are outdated, and do not correspond with the new values in FW 13333.
    In page 542 also, the last paragraph says: "In the previous figure, the first entry shows the Universal Gas Constant".
    It should say "next".
  5. In page 543, the first image shows the Universal Gas Constant.
    The value shown is outdated, and does not correspond with the new value in FW 13333.
  6. In page 618, the name for the [Ènter] key appears as: K_Ente.
    It should be K_Enter.
  7. In page 702 the first paragraph says: "A small application, designed for the study of one or more related topics or to solve problems of a particular
    type. The built-in apps are Function, Advanced Graphing, Geometry, Spreadsheet, Statistics 1Var, Statistics 2Var, Inference, DataStreamer, Solve, Linear Solver, Triangle Solver, Finance, Parametric, Polar, Sequence, Linear Explorer, Quadratic Explorer, and Trig Explorer. An app can be filled with the data and solutions for a specific problem. It is reusable (like a program, but easier to use) and it records all your settings and
    definitions.
    This paragraph must be edited to reflect the new apps in FW 13333.
  8. In page 19 the last-but-one paragraph says: "There are two system-wide settings: Home settings and CAS settings. Home settings control Home view and
    the apps. CAS settings control how calculations are done in the computer algebra system. CAS settings are discussed in chapter 3."
    It should say: chapter 4
  9. In page 20, the table that lists the Home settings, lacks the option "Gradians" for the Angle Measure.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2018, 06:32 PM
RE: Corrections in new PDF User Guide
Thanks!

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
02-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Where or how do I get this version?

Thanks in advance
Hans
02-08-2018, 07:59 PM
From here subfolder Documentation.
Arno
02-08-2018, 08:45 PM
Additionally, if you have installed the emulator it is in the Documentation sub-folder of the emulator program.
02-08-2018, 08:54 PM
Check for update from connkit/emu will download new documents for the software well. Emulator will pull the calc documents.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
02-08-2018, 10:35 PM
(02-08-2018 06:44 PM)Hans S. Wrote:  Where or how do I get this version?

Thanks in advance
Hans

And NOT from here Sad?
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-...59/manuals

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2018, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 09:36 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
P702 Also in the glossary, apps reference 3 explorers.

P656 The syntax for CAS functions is listed as CAS.function.
In my experience the old compiler preferred CAS("function")...
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-647...ght=format
Is the pdf wrong or has the syntax changed?

02-09-2018, 01:00 PM
(02-08-2018 10:35 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  And NOT from here?
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-...59/manuals

I was puzzled about exactly that.

Hans
02-09-2018, 01:24 PM
I have also noticed that built in help on the Prime for the Gamma function is incomplete as it does not explain the incomplete gamma function that it now supports. As its confusing as an integral like int(e^x^3) returns an answer that includes the incomplete gamma function.

gamma(number, value)
02-09-2018, 02:51 PM
(02-09-2018 08:58 AM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  P702 Also in the glossary, apps reference 3 explorers.

P656 The syntax for CAS functions is listed as CAS.function.
In my experience the old compiler preferred CAS("function")...
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-647...ght=format
Is the pdf wrong or has the syntax changed?

I have added the error you found in page 702 in my initial post.
02-09-2018, 08:24 PM
P1 refers to Alpha 3 generating the pound character. The graphic looks like noughts and crosses.
Just for reference, in the uk that graphic is called a hash symbol and looks nothing like the symbol for pounds sterling.

02-09-2018, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 09:25 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
P19 refers to CAS in Chapter 3...it is now in Chapter 4
P20 lists angle modes: degrees or radians.
I seem to recall grads being supported (though maybe they can't be set at system level?)
P30 Interactive help or on-device help really shouldn't be called "online help" (until it can read this forum) Smile

02-11-2018, 12:26 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2018 12:29 AM by Anders.)
Great update. a few things are still missing.

Can we please have invztrans added, you can simply use the help file text.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-11-2018, 11:54 AM
(02-09-2018 08:24 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  P1 refers to Alpha 3 generating the pound character. The graphic looks like noughts and crosses.
Just for reference, in the uk that graphic is called a hash symbol and looks nothing like the symbol for pounds sterling.

According to the Oxford dictionaries, what in British English is called "hash", in American English is called "pound sign" or "number sign".
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/explor...the-symbol
https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2015...ion-marks/.

I'll add the errors you found in pages 19 and 20 to my initial post.
02-15-2018, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2018 10:46 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
P607 Program MYFOLDER
The text indicates that the programs routines can be found in the catalog as
Myfolder/procedure1 and Myfolder/procedure2 (or whatever the names were)

Since "Program MYFOLDER" is in the same typeface as the procedures definitions, the implication was that this might override the filename...perhaps allowing a large program to exist in two files, both annotated "Program MYFOLDER".

However, the program text as suggested by the typeface does not seem to compile and there is no help for any new "Program" statement.

Leaving out the "Program MYFOLDER" text, it does compile.

Unless I am mistaken, the text is meant to be descriptive of the filename rather than included in the text of the program. This should be made clearer in the pdf, perhaps by a change of font, or making "Program MYFOLDER" a comment...Or should "Program" compile and have on-device help?

02-16-2018, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2018 10:05 AM by Arno K.)
German User Guide, page 49: Winkeleinheit does not tell that Radians, Degrees and Gradians are choosable.
Page 62 Sortieren von Apps: Chronologically is missing
Arno
02-23-2018, 10:28 AM
p.38 The algebraic example on the command line in the English manual is in textbook format, not algebraic.

02-24-2018, 09:57 AM
English version of the User Guide, page 69.

So, is it 4*PI or 5*PI? Smile

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-24-2018, 04:29 PM
p. 20 Number Format list is missing Floating and Rounded entries and descriptions.
Sigh.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)