Breakeven Point Equation Error
03-09-2018, 03:27 AM
Breakeven Point Equation Error
In the HP Prime's Help system and User's Guide, they both state that the calculator uses the equation Fixed + Quantity * Cost=Quantity*Sales + Profit in the Break-even Point solver. However, this equation does not yield the same result as the solver nor does it give the correct answer.

I believe the correct equation would be similar to Fixed + Quantity * Cost=Quantity * Sales - Profit.

In short, the HP Prime gets the correct answer. Only the equation displayed in the help system and the User's Guide is incorrect. I'm pointing this out to help HP.

On a side note, thank you HP for this powerful Finance APP! I'm cutting through problems like butter with it. I use the Prime all the time now. Fantastic machine. I also recommended the Prime to a friend of mine and he LOVES it too.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2018, 03:47 AM
RE: Breakeven Point Equation Error
Yep, typo!

Of course, the equation is usually written out as:

Sales Price * Quantity - Cost * Quantity - Fixed = Profit

Might as well present it in an "income statement" format rather than the balance form as shown in the guide. Great catch on the + there. :-)
03-09-2018, 08:13 PM
Thanks! I've passed it along for correction.

Glad you are liking the new finance app. As far as I can tell, it is now the best finance "calculator" ever made by anyone now.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
03-09-2018, 09:22 PM
Other than it being larger than my favorite 12c... I am very inclined to agree with you.

Although the 10bII+ runs a close (non-RPN) second.

The PRIME finance app is VERY well done.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)