Sharp PC-G850VS
05-02-2018, 10:44 PM
RE: Sharp PC-G850VS
(05-02-2018 08:50 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  I've just used a free to use on line PDF translator (which ultimately uses google translate when it gets to the nitty gritty) ...... couple of minutes later it sends me back an english PDF and it's suddenly reasonably readable !!

I didn't know that such a tool existed!
Do you use this one?

Jean-Charles
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2018, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2018 07:30 AM by Zaphod.)
(05-02-2018 10:44 PM)Helix Wrote:  
(05-02-2018 08:50 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  I've just used a free to use on line PDF translator (which ultimately uses google translate when it gets to the nitty gritty) ...... couple of minutes later it sends me back an english PDF and it's suddenly reasonably readable !!

I didn't know that such a tool existed!
Do you use this one?

Yep , that's it - works a treat , keeps the document intact in the translate too !

They have a file size limit , which is why I had to chop the original up , I just used another online free service (https://www.ilovepdf.com/split_pdf) to split pages 1-100 100-200 200-327
So I had three 7MB ish files then
05-03-2018, 12:56 PM

Hopefully, you'll be able to share them once complete. I have a PC-G850V but have never explored it much as I am quite sure an English manual was never created (I worked at Sharp at the time, this machine was not sold in the US) so this translated version will be quite welcome. Most of the pocket computers from Sharp have features that are not obvious from just looking at the keyboard; having the manual at last will be great.

Also, thanks to you and Helix for info on the translation service, I need to check that out as well.

--Bob Prosperi
05-03-2018, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2018 02:17 PM by Zaphod.)
(05-03-2018 12:56 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Hopefully, you'll be able to share them once complete. I have a PC-G850V but have never explored it much as I am quite sure an English manual was never created (I worked at Sharp at the time, this machine was not sold in the US) so this translated version will be quite welcome. Most of the pocket computers from Sharp have features that are not obvious from just looking at the keyboard; having the manual at last will be great.

Also, thanks to you and Helix for info on the translation service, I need to check that out as well.

You're more than welcome to copies.
I will try and find a way of hosting them for you to download , there will be areas where the translate makes a grammatical mess of things, let me look them over tonight and proof read them a bit more.

Anyone suggest a free service for uploading ? dropbox? , I've never used it

I was going to drop them on this forum as an attachment but one file would take up all my storage allowance on here.
05-03-2018, 02:19 PM
(05-03-2018 02:17 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  Anyone suggest a free service for uploading ? dropbox? , I've never used it

Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive to name but 3...
05-03-2018, 02:43 PM
(05-03-2018 02:19 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(05-03-2018 02:17 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  Anyone suggest a free service for uploading ? dropbox? , I've never used it

Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive to name but 3...

I'll see what I can do later today
05-03-2018, 04:14 PM
Part One:

https://ufile.io/dkjm5

It'll be there for 30days
05-03-2018, 04:15 PM
Part Two:

https://ufile.io/nopj5
05-03-2018, 04:17 PM
and finally Part Three:

https://ufile.io/86iby
05-03-2018, 10:44 PM
Thank you for this work!

Contrary to what I wrote previously, the project of creating a clean English manual is not dead, but in the meantime this one will be helpful.

Jean-Charles
05-03-2018, 11:17 PM
That's pretty impressive work for an automated translator! The file storage site is pretty funny though. Certainly doesn't like ad blockers.

I found a scan of the Japanese manual for the Sharp PC-G801 somewhere. Sadly I forgot to bookmark the location where I found it. I'll run a few pages through the translation site above to see what a hash it makes of it. It has sections on Basic, Text and CASL so it might be a useful supplement.

Nice work,
~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
05-04-2018, 12:49 AM
A scan of the Japanese manual is here.
I'm not sure it is very helpful…

Jean-Charles
05-04-2018, 03:04 AM
Thanks for uploading to share!!

I agree with Mark, the results are impressive and remarkably usable. Of course when really looking up details in the midst of a technical problem, translation issues could prevent exact clarity, but it seems it will be useful enough to figure it all out.

Thanks again Zaphod!

--Bob Prosperi
05-04-2018, 05:31 AM
(05-04-2018 03:04 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Thanks for uploading to share!!

I agree with Mark, the results are impressive and remarkably usable. Of course when really looking up details in the midst of a technical problem, translation issues could prevent exact clarity, but it seems it will be useful enough to figure it all out.

Thanks again Zaphod!

I'm sure with a bit of editing and understanding it can be made even more accurate , I'm gonna have a go when I get chance and upload a manually revised edition Smile
05-04-2018, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2018 08:02 AM by Zaphod.)
I've just realised they throttle the download speed for free users - apologies, I wanted to pull a copy here at work as I have PDF writer (at least I thought I could edit an existing PDF .......) .... I'll have to wait

The other free options were worse , they wanted my card details
05-05-2018, 10:22 PM
(04-30-2018 06:08 PM)mfleming Wrote:  I've populated the last part and will do an electrical test before connecting the unit to the Sharp. Hope all goes well!

~Mark

Follow up: I've managed to program the somewhat roomier PIC16F627A (1.75KB flash!), configured to use the internal oscillator and generating the CLKOUT signal for verification. Oscillator works. Does not toggle the LED though, and I lost one chip that now always produces a Verify Error when programming. I'll have to look at that one with a real PICKit 3 to see if it's dead. Seems the programmer board works, then.

So, maybe it's time to practice my transition from Eagle 6 to Kicad and do a real plug-in board?

~Mark

05-06-2018, 08:18 PM
Greetings. Does this unit have a real time clock?

I perused the manual (Thank You) and couldn’t find evidence of one?

Best
Todd
05-06-2018, 08:49 PM
There's no evidence of any time or date value displayed in any of the main screens, so I'd say no. As a quick check, typing TIME or DATE in the BASIC screen just returns zero.

Zaphod: Quick warning, leaving the programmer plugged into the interface bus overnight resulted in dead batteries and lost programs. Unplug when not in use!

~Mark

07-11-2018, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2018 11:40 PM by jwhsu.)
I'm not sure if anyone is interested. I made an English translation of the PC-G850VS Users Guide based off the German translation using Google Translate. I also added some additional material from the PC-E500 manual and the 11-pin SIO interface PDF to help with examples and to make it more readable. Hopefully, the instructions on how to use CASL, Assembler, and C are accurate. I have tested some of the BASIC instructions, however, I am not familiar with C or assembly and haven't tested those functions. If anyone uses this and finds any errors, please let me know so I can make corrections. Thanks.

Sharp PC-850V(S) Users Guide
07-11-2018, 11:17 PM
(07-11-2018 11:01 PM)jwhsu Wrote:  I'm not sure if anyone is interested. I made an English translation of the PC-G850VS Users Guide based off the German translation using Google Translate. I also added some additional material from the PC-E500 manual and the 11-pin SIO interface PDF to help with examples and to make it more readable. Hopefully, the instructions on how to use CASL, Assembler, and C are accurate. I have tested some of the BASIC instructions, however, I am not familiar with C or assembly and haven't tested those functions. If anyone uses this and finds any errors, please let me know so I can make corrections. Thanks.

Sharp PC-G850V(S) Manual

Yes, quite interested and also quite thankful for the large amount of detailed work to create and share this. I actually worked at Sharp (US) when this model was created, but as it was not to be sold in the US, I could not get one to keep, nor were there any English manuals. I finally acquired one last year, but never made time to sit and explore it, but with a complete manual it's now more likely to actually happen.

Thank you again!

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)