CASIO Graph 90+E
05-27-2018, 09:33 PM
RE: CASIO Graph 90+E
In another forum thread a user confirmed that a fx-CG50 cannot be powered by USB. Is that true?

And once again if vendors stabilize on a language, be it micropython, the community would benefit from it. (although the language of the Prime is really easy to use, they did a good job and still they are working on it!)

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2018, 09:42 PM
Hi ijabbott,
Just out of curiosity: Would you choose the Prime over the Casio for the same price? I guess so as it has touch screen a lots of memory, and it looks amazing! Smile Do you think its programming languaje is useful for doing interesting things apart from Maths aplications? (As I said in previus posts I am a Computer Science student and my Maths are not great (yet), so I love to 'play' with calcs Smile BTW, I am learning Casio Basic with the CG50 and I'm loving it.

I bought the Casio from Ryman for 89.99, which is a really good price, but the offer (not only the offer but the actual listing of the calculator in their website!) comes and goes unannounced, but you just need to check the website and when the offer is on, go to a Ryman store with stock of the CG50 and... bang! they will match the price Smile
05-27-2018, 10:05 PM
The Casio windows/mac calculator emulator costs $40 AUD per year - gulp! Makes me extremely hesitant to buy any of their calculators for my collection - just as this thread was getting me interested.

Bless HP for making their Prime emulator and connectivity kit free. I own a Prime and will probably buy another.
05-27-2018, 10:54 PM
First test of Python on the Graph 90+E (in French) here.
It seems slow, much slower than micropython on the TI Nspire CX. However this is not the definitive version.

Another promising language for Casio calculators is C.BASIC. The alpha version for the CG50 is available at the end of this thread.

Jean-Charles
05-27-2018, 11:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2018 12:02 AM by ijabbott.)
(05-27-2018 09:42 PM)severedgarden Wrote:  Hi ijabbott,
Just out of curiosity: Would you choose the Prime over the Casio for the same price? I guess so as it has touch screen a lots of memory, and it looks amazing! Smile Do you think its programming languaje is useful for doing interesting things apart from Maths aplications? (As I said in previus posts I am a Computer Science student and my Maths are not great (yet), so I love to 'play' with calcs Smile BTW, I am learning Casio Basic with the CG50 and I'm loving it.

For the same price, I'd choose the Prime over the CG50. I would have bought one earlier even at the higher price, but there was more uncertainty over the hardware revision you'd end up with from online retailers a year or so ago, so I thought I'd delay the purchase of a Prime and bought an NSpire CX CAS instead. I bought the CG50 when it came out because I have a soft spot for Casio calculators and didn't already own a CG10 or CG20. (My first scientific calculator was an fx-39 I think, or possibly an fx-29. My first programmable calculator was an FX-502P plus an FA-1 cassette tape adaptor.)

Feature wise, the Prime is faster than the CG50 and has a better screen, and the wonderful CAS. I do think the built-in apps on the PRIZM series (including the CG50) have been implemented well. Programming wise, the Casio BASIC looks a little clunky compared to HP PPL, but the Casio PRIZM environment isn't as locked down as the HP Prime's. Apparently, programs written in HP PPL on the Prime run pretty fast, so that's not much of an issue.

Quote:I bought the Casio from Ryman for 89.99, which is a really good price, but the offer (not only the offer but the actual listing of the calculator in their website!) comes and goes unannounced, but you just need to check the website and when the offer is on, go to a Ryman store with stock of the CG50 and... bang! they will match the price Smile

They were a similar price on Amazon the last time I looked two or three weeks ago, which is why I was surprised they've gone up by about 25 pounds to 115 pounds, and according to Amazon, that's a price reduction from 140 pounds! Meanwhile, the newest model HP Prime has dropped a pound in price to 117 pounds.
07-03-2018, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2018 10:16 PM by ijabbott.)
I've been keeping an eye on the prices at amazon.co.uk. The HP Prime price seems to fluctuate daily (perhaps it is priced in Euros), but as of 2018-07-03:
  • HP Prime V2/B1S — £100.04
  • Casio fx-CG50-S-UH — £116.99 (although it is £99.99 at Ryman.co.uk)
  • TI Nspire CX — £129.48
  • TI Nspire CX CAS — £149.99
  • Casio Classpad II fx-CP400 — £155.87

(I may buy a Prime when it drops below £100, but I've just bought a second-hand HP-42S this month (actually, at the end of June, but I received it yesterday).)

— Ian Abbott
07-04-2018, 07:11 PM
I saw it on Amazon, ijabbott.
Maybe they are about to release a HP Prime new model, who knows.

For now I am really happy with the Casio CG50, and with the announcement of the Python menu for 31st August I am more than happy, but yes, the Prime at that price is quite tempting.
07-04-2018, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2018 06:34 PM by ijabbott.)
One day later and the HP Prime is down to £96.64. I said it changes on a daily basis, mostly in the downwards direction!

EDIT 2018-07-07: The party's over. Sad It's shot back up to £125.22 (and was £116.something a few hours ago). The local minimum was sometime on 2018-07-05 I think, when I noticed the price was £95.something.

— Ian Abbott
07-20-2018, 05:30 PM
There seem to be two working CAS systems on the Graph 90+E and CG50 now.

1. Bernard Parisse has managed to get the Eigenmath port that was done by gbl08ma for the CG10 and CG20 working on the Graph 90+E and CG50.
    BAC 2018 : du calcul formel avec Eigenmath sur Graph 90+E
  2. Bernard has also ported KhiCAS (a cut-down version of GIAC) to the Graph 90+E. I think it also works on the CG50 although the Command Reference is in French.
    KhiCAS: rajoute CAS + Python sur ta Graph 90+E.

That, and MicroPython at the end of August. Smile

— Ian Abbott
07-21-2018, 08:16 AM
KhiCAS works like a charm with my fx-CG50. The built-in help for commands is very useful because I don't need to remember the command syntax.
07-21-2018, 04:57 PM
khiCAS (xCASio) does not contain the complete xcas kernel, due to the small memory of this calculator =(
08-11-2018, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2018 05:55 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
I was just reading up on the CG50...
If I understood the software pdf correctly, the built-in Casio Basic doesn't support subroutines.
Ie
Code:

Loop
   Program PRINTCASIO 'assume PRINTCASIO is a program that does the obvious
 Endloop
Will print CASIO once rather than indefinitely, because "Program" breaks the Loop.
And the subroutine has no parameters or return value.

I am wondering if I am totally misunderstanding this pdf, because I cannot imagine how a calculator with such a limited Basic might support microPython in its French version. (WH Smith, a uk High St shop, doesn't sell either the English or French version locally).

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2018, 04:05 PM
I think PRINTCASIO would loop indefinitely.

I just punched this program into my fx-CG50:

MAIN
------
For 1-> N To 10
Prog "SUBTEST"
Next

Which calls this one 10 times:

SUBTEST
-----------
Locate N,1,"A"

To output 10 "A" characters across the first line of the screen.

The MAIN routine is re-entered appropriately after SUBTEST's end-of-file is reached. So you can do subroutines but you finish up with an unwieldy set of separate files of code. In the example, variable N is global across both programs.
08-11-2018, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2018 05:49 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
In that case, perhaps when the pdf refers to breaking out of the loop, they simply mean
"the subroutine is called within the loop like anyone would expect"
and not
"it executes like
'subroutine():break'
because the compiler re-uses the loop counter to implement the call."

Confusing terminology.
Still, with no parameters and single-letter variables, it is very different from what I imagine microPython to be.

08-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Casio BASIC has supported subroutines since the very beginning (fix-7000g), but only in the sense that you can call another program and return to where you were in the calling program. You can't GOSUB/XEQ a local label within a program. It's the same situation with TI BASIC.

Also, I think all Casio BASIC versions support some form of indirect addressing (array memories, or list variables on later models), so you could implement a parameter/return stack without too much fuss. Would be a tight fit on the early models with only a few hundred bytes of RAM, though.
08-11-2018, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2018 09:42 PM by ijabbott.)
(08-11-2018 05:08 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  In that case, perhaps when the pdf refers to breaking out of the loop, they simply mean
and not
"it executes like

It does say: "Calling up a subroutine causes it to be executed from the beginning. After execution of the subroutine is complete, execution returns to the main routine, continuing from the statement following the Prog command."

— Ian Abbott
08-11-2018, 10:44 PM
(08-11-2018 09:42 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(08-11-2018 05:08 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  In that case, perhaps when the pdf refers to breaking out of the loop, they simply mean
and not
"it executes like

It does say: "Calling up a subroutine causes it to be executed from the beginning. After execution of the subroutine is complete, execution returns to the main routine, continuing from the statement following the Prog command."

I did see that, which seems to contradict "when inside a loop, it immediately breaks the loop and executes the subroutine". I'd say the loop isn't broken.

BTW, authors say "morning has broken" at daybreak - astronomers think "morrning just worked normally" Smile

08-23-2018, 08:47 AM
(08-11-2018 10:44 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  BTW, authors say "morning has broken" at daybreak - astronomers think "morrning just worked normally" Smile

Morning has broken like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken like the first bird
Praise for the singing
Praise for the morning
Praise for them springing fresh from the world
08-23-2018, 12:31 PM
(08-23-2018 08:47 AM)m@x Wrote:  
(08-11-2018 10:44 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  BTW, authors say "morning has broken" at daybreak - astronomers think "morrning just worked normally" Smile

Morning has broken like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken like the first bird
Praise for the singing
Praise for the morning
Praise for them springing fresh from the world

Well, this makes 2 poems in 2 days. Seems like a dangerous trend...

--Bob Prosperi
08-23-2018, 12:44 PM
(08-23-2018 12:31 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Well, this makes 2 poems in 2 days. Seems like a dangerous trend...

I smell an RPL haiku contest coming on.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)