WP34S on iOS (iPhone) clears display when put down
08-08-2018, 11:42 PM
WP34S on iOS (iPhone) clears display when put down
(Apologies if this has already been asked but I couldn't find it in a search of this forum.)
I am running the latest (as per the App Store) version of the WP34S on my iPhone and generally I am very happy with it.
However sometimes when I complete a calculation and put the iPhone down on my desk (gently!) the display becomes "0.00".
As far as I am aware, I'm not pressing anything on the screen as I put down the phone.
Also this seems to happen randomly - at least I can't seem to force it to happen and it does not happen all of the time.
My questions are:
1) Is this a bug or a feature?
2) If a feature then how can it be turned off?
2) Is there some way to get back the number that was previously displayed?
Thanks
Susan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2018, 11:00 AM
RE: WP34S on iOS (iPhone) clears display when put down
This is not a feature. It may be a bug but I do not see how it could happen because it seems connected to the motion detection which is ignored by the emulator.
08-09-2018, 09:30 PM
In addition to the physical calculator, I have the iOS version ("VERS"under menu X.FCN returns 34S 3.3T 3898) on my iPod Touch Gen 6. I use it quite often and have never seen the problem you are describing. I just tried it a bunch of times and the result remains unbothered each time.

Is it only after a specific type of calculation? Are other calculations always OK? If you find a calculation that has the unwanted behavior, is it repeatedable each time you try it?

Sounds like an odd one!
08-10-2018, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2018 01:06 AM by Michael de Estrada.)
Your problem is due to you living down under. Move to the northern hemisphere and your problem will go away.
08-10-2018, 03:54 AM
(08-10-2018 02:27 AM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  Your problem is due you living down under. Move to the northern hemisphere and your problem will go away.

I don't get this problem on my phone.

The bulk of the software was developed here and in Germany so it should be tolerant to hemisphere changes Smile

Pauil
08-10-2018, 02:24 PM
It could be the digitizer is acting up, which can happen due to the OS getting in a bad state. It's rare, but I've had something like that happen on my phone once or twice, and a reboot fixed the condition.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2018, 11:01 PM
Thanks everyone for confirming that it is not a feature.
As I said, it is quite (apparently) random and I also have not found a way to repeat it.
I'll keep trying but it often happens when I'm concentrating on something else and not on the calculation.
Cheers
Susan
08-12-2018, 05:58 AM
Sorry for the inconvenience but when something like that happens, i.e. a bug with no apparent reason, for only one user, on a program already a few years old, it is very hard for find where the source.
It could be a genuine bug, a strange problem with your iPhone configuration or something else... But I can not thing of a way to pinpoint it at the moment.
08-12-2018, 06:41 AM
Pascal - I quite understand. I've developed software myself and tried to debug just such issues which is why I know you need reproducible steps before you can progress.
I'll certainly let you know if/when I can provide that information.
Thank you again for the program and the support.
Susan
08-12-2018, 09:59 AM
(08-10-2018 02:27 AM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  Your problem is due you living down under. Move to the northern hemisphere and your problem will go away.

Nah stay put - Australia is much safer.
08-12-2018, 01:48 PM
(08-12-2018 09:59 AM)Dan Wrote:  

Nah stay put - Australia is much safer.

In terms of murder rate, Australia is comparable to Western Europe. A bit safer than the Netherlands and France, a bit less safe than Germany and Italy, to name a few. Take your pick. Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-13-2018, 12:58 AM
(08-12-2018 09:59 AM)Dan Wrote:  Nah stay put - Australia is much safer.

And the two animals that kill the most people here?

No it isn't the snakes, nor the spiders, nor sharks, nor anything else you might have been warned about. It is the horse and then the European honey bee -- both are introduced species.

Pauli

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)