TI-36X Pro—Replace the batteries or just get a new one?
12-18-2018, 03:05 PM
RE: TI-36X Pro—Replace the batteries or just get a new one?
(12-18-2018 01:08 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  I like the European keyboard better than the US keyboard. The fact that I can see the arithmetic symbols on the European keyboard instead of silver on silver already makes that design a winner.

There is a European version of the TI-36X Pro called the TI-30X Pro MultiView. Spot the difference:

[Image: ti3xxp10.gif]

I think TI probably released the new MathPrint models to compete with the Casio ClassWiz models better. There is a TI-30X Plus MathPrint and a TI-30X Pro MathPrint. The "Plus" model has less functions, more like the TI-30XB/TI-30XS. I'll probably get the TI-30X Pro MathPrint next year to see how it compares with the TI-36X Pro / TI-30X Pro MultiView. The pictures I posted previously were not to scale.

— Ian Abbott
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2018, 11:13 PM
Is the math print version of the 30 multi view faster than the 36 Pro?
12-19-2018, 12:13 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2018 12:15 AM by Matt Agajanian.)
See, this is what doesn’t make sense. Isn’t the TI-30X Pro MultiView a lower model, missing several features and lacking the functionality of the TI-36X Pro? Just like the HP-32E is a higher model than the HP-31E, isn’t the TI-30X Pro MultiView a downgrade of the TI-36X Pro?
12-19-2018, 02:30 AM
(12-18-2018 03:05 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  Spot the difference:

It appears the only difference is the label "MultiView"

--Bob Prosperi
12-19-2018, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2018 06:44 PM by ijabbott.)
(12-19-2018 12:13 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  See, this is what doesn’t make sense. Isn’t the TI-30X Pro MultiView a lower model, missing several features and lacking the functionality of the TI-36X Pro? Just like the HP-32E is a higher model than the HP-31E, isn’t the TI-30X Pro MultiView a downgrade of the TI-36X Pro?

No, it's just a different name for the same thing. If you compare the PDFs TI-30X Pro MultiView Guidebook (English) and TI-36X Pro Guidebook (English) you will see no differences in functionality, although the person who got the job of converting the TI-36X Pro English manual for the TI-30X Pro MultiView managed to screw up the special characters in a few places.

I don't know why they changed the name for the European market.

When (if?) the new TI-30X Pro MathPrint model makes it to the North American market, I expect they will rename it (perhaps to TI-36X Pro MathPrint?).

EDIT: You might have been thinking of the TI-30X Plus MultiView. Apparently, someone figured out that you could access the Pro functions on that calculator by pressing several keys at once!

Note that the new MathPrint models also come in Plus and Pro variants.

EDIT 2: The TI-30X Plus MultiView was a special version of the TI-30X Pro MultiView for use in German and Austrian schools with certain "banned" features removed (until someone figured out how to re-enable them!).

— Ian Abbott
12-19-2018, 09:08 PM
ijabbott, thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.
12-19-2018, 10:10 PM
Hi ijabbott, do you know if these new calculators (especially the 36X Pro equivalent with the Math Print) are faster than the legacy 36X Pro's? The CASIO 991EX series are much faster than the 36X Pro.
12-19-2018, 10:32 PM
(12-19-2018 10:10 PM)lrdheat Wrote:  Hi ijabbott, do you know if these new calculators (especially the 36X Pro equivalent with the Math Print) are faster than the legacy 36X Pro's? The CASIO 991EX series are much faster than the 36X Pro.

I've no idea at the moment, but will probably get one of the new calculators sometime in the New Year and do some tests then.

— Ian Abbott
12-20-2018, 12:00 AM
Ijabbott...I will also be interested in learning from you whether the memory has been expanded...the legacy 36X Pro will not accept a math print equation with more than 40 characters. Also hope that, like the 36X Pro, when entering an equation in the table f(x) format, it will possible to solve derivatives to equal zero so as to find a max or min point on a curve!
12-20-2018, 12:47 AM
Another neat item about the 36X Pro that I hope carries over is the capability to integrate the maximum of multiple equations over an interval: (max (sin(x),cos (x))) for example!
12-20-2018, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2019 07:09 PM by ijabbott.)
It seems that the new(ish) TI-30X Pro MathPrint is also sold in the UK and there is an English manual for it (also Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, and Swedish) if you want to compare it to the older MultiView.

https://education.ti.com/en/guidebook/de...7/30xProMP

EDIT: I haven't been through the entire manual, but the only enhancement in functionality I have found so far is that the "table" mode can show two functions f(x) and g(x) at once. Matrices and vectors are still limited to 3 dimensions (the Casio fx-991EX does 4 dimensions). The polynomial solver still only solves quadratic and cubic equations (the Casio also solves quartic equations). The simultaneous linear equation solver still handles up to 3 unknowns (the Casio does 4). Hopefully, they will have at least increased the speed and fixed the few bugs* at last (without introducing additional bugs), but who knows?!

* I only know of two bugs: (1) converting improper fractions of pi to a mixed fraction goes wrong; (2) negative temperature conversions go wrong. EDIT Negative temperature conversions work fine if you put them in parentheses. E.g.: -1 °C⯈°F = -33.8 (WRONG!), but (-1) °C⯈°F = 30.2 (CORRECT!). (To be fair, the manual mentions this requirement for placing negative temperatures in parentheses, and it only applies to literal numbers, not variables.)

— Ian Abbott
12-20-2018, 06:52 PM
Hi ijabbott,

I fear that the memory has not increased as the manual warns of a checkered cursor when the character limit has been reached (although I do not see mention of how many characters can be entered in an equation). Will be interesting to learn if it's processor speed has increased...
01-11-2019, 08:08 AM
Hallo!

I have looked at my german manual of the TI-30X Pro Multiview.
There is a chapter batterie with instruction to change the batterie.

And I found the german manual of the TI-36X Pro without the batterie chapter.
Not nice!

I think they have omit the batterie chapter, because they are using CR2032 which lasting really long. I have never change this batterie on any of my simple calculators. This is not valid for old pocket computer and the HP-35S.

I have not the new Casio but the FX-991DE Plus. And this Casio is much slower than the TI-30. Perhaps I should try the new Casio. But for me the FX-991DE Plus is not so intuitive to handle as the TI-30. I don't like the mode setting (like switching to complex number or real numbers calculation.)

Bernd
01-12-2019, 02:24 AM
The TI-30X Pro MatHPrint is a nice upgrade from the 36X Pro. Same function set, but much faster than the 36X Pro, nearly as fast as the CASIO 991EX. Nice to have history remain intact when turning calculator off and on, or changing from one application to another. Can still use solve with d/dx and integrals. Like having product in addition to summation. Like how, as on the 36X Pro, an integral can be executed with max(function 1, function 2). Appears as if regression had an additional choice added.
01-12-2019, 02:47 AM
(01-12-2019 02:24 AM)lrdheat Wrote:  The TI-30X Pro MatHPrint is a nice upgrade from the 36X Pro. Same function set, but much faster than the 36X Pro, nearly as fast as the CASIO 991EX. Nice to have history remain intact when turning calculator off and on, or changing from one application to another. Can still use solve with d/dx and integrals. Like having product in addition to summation. Like how, as on the 36X Pro, an integral can be executed with max(function 1, function 2). Appears as if regression had an additional choice added.

Freudian mistake that "HP" was capitalized?? Big Grin

--Bob Prosperi
01-12-2019, 03:03 AM
The TI-30X Pro is like the TI-36X Pro, only with arithmetic keys you can see the symbols. I would love to see this keyboard hit the United States.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2019, 07:53 AM
The TI-30X Pro MathPrint comes with some new functions (the new regreesion models were already mentioned) compared with TI 30X Pro Multiview:
- nDeriv(
- fnInt(
- Lists OPS with sorting, sequence and sum list
01-13-2019, 05:01 AM
Those new functions make it possible to choose an epsilon in MathPrint. On the 36X Pro, the epsilon could only be user chosen in the classic mode.
01-13-2019, 07:04 PM
The one proper bug I know about in the TI-36X Pro (and TI-30X Pro MultiView) has been fixed in the TI-30X MultiView.

To produce the bug:

1. Convert a number to a mixed number, for example: '1.75 math 1 enter' produces '1¾'. (This step is unnecessary if the mixed number conversion feature (math 1: n/d⇔Un/d) has been used at any time since the calculator was reset.)
  2. Calculate '625π/4 enter' , producing 490.8738521.
  3. Press the 'answer toggle' key (above the 'enter' key). The result is displayed as a mixed number '156␣π/4', i.e. '156 and pi quarters'. Obviously, this is nonsensical, although the calculator still holds the correct number internally.
  4. Press the 'answer toggle' key again. The calculator displays 'SYNTAX ERROR'.

To fix this bug it is necessary to reset the calculator by holding the 'On' and 'clear' keys simultaneously. The calculator displays 'MEMORY CLEARED'. This clears all the settings and memories. Press 'clear' to clear the message. After resetting the calculator:

1. Calculate '625π/4 enter' , producing 490.8738521.
  2. Press the 'answer toggle' key (above the 'enter' key). The result is displayed as a simple fraction of pi '625π/4'.
  3. Press the 'answer toggle' key again. The result is 490.8738521.

The above bug has been fixed in the MathPrint model. It will never attempt to display a fraction of pi as mixed number.

— Ian Abbott
01-13-2019, 07:28 PM
A 'semi-bug' has also been fixed in the MathPrint model. This one concerns temperature conversions on negative numbers.

Previously, in the TI-36X Pro (and TI-30X Pro MultiView), it was necessary to enclose negative numbers in parentheses when performing temperature conversions, otherwise, the negation would be performed after the conversion. For example, '-1 °C⯈°F' would produce the result -33.8 instead of 30.2. To be fair, this was mentioned in the manual, but probably retroactively. Also, expressions such as '2-3 °C⯈°F' are calculated as '2 - (3 °C⯈°F)' producing a result of -35.4.

In the new TI-30X Pro MathPrint, unit conversions seem to have a much lower priority, so that '-1 °C⯈°F' and '2-3 °C⯈°F' both produce a result of 30.2. Strangely, the manual for the MathPrint still insists that negative numbers be placed in parentheses to do temperature conversions. This is probably left over from the previous manual!

— Ian Abbott

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)