New G2 HP Prime
08-13-2018, 03:27 PM
RE: New G2 HP Prime
(08-10-2018 02:12 PM)Dirk.nl Wrote:  Hello,
Today received my new G2 HP Prime from derekenwinkel.nl (Klaas Kuperus).
I tried to order one from there after they assured me they ship to the USA. The website doesn't allow the user to choose the USA for the shipping address!

You're lucky. The Netherlands is one of the two places the form allows you to select.

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2018, 03:36 PM
Hi Joe,
Of course the backside, forgotten!
RMN HSTNJ-BC02

— Dirk Hartland
08-13-2018, 04:15 PM
Looks like the new hardware revision is a major improvement, which is a great thing Smile

The older Prime HW revisions already had some of the best hardware specs for a graphing calculator on the market (only the Nspire CX series' amount of RAM beat the Prime), this new revision flattens everything else on the market. Even the processor architecture is probably newer than ARMv5, since 1+ GHz ARM9 processors are uncommon...
The new hardware specs are definitely no longer going to be the limit for developing the graphing calculator abilities of this new model Smile
Although 1 GB of Flash would have been better, and barely more expensive, the 512 MB of Flash this new calculator is likely to have are sufficient to run generic Linux and *BSD distros, with full-blown C++ or Python toolchains.
08-13-2018, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2018 05:45 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
The uk website lists the current/old spec as "may not be available" so perhaps it won't be long before new stock arrives. I wonder if it will have a new model number or if it will be luck as to which version arrives, like when they improved the keyboard?
http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/calcul...id=7029051

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-14-2018, 07:23 AM
Hi Stephen,
New model number = 2AP18AA#B1S

— Dirk Hartland
08-14-2018, 08:34 AM
(08-10-2018 03:37 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  Dirk, is this the Prime in question?

https://www.derekenwinkel.nl/hp-prime-gr...-1201.html

I see no indication that this is specifically the G2 model. If it is then I'm getting one...

Yes, it is! Smile I have just changed the site to refer to G2. If you're having difficulties on ordering through the website, please send us an email or me a PB. There's more than enough stock available.

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com
08-14-2018, 04:27 PM
(08-14-2018 08:34 AM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  
(08-10-2018 03:37 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  Dirk, is this the Prime in question?

https://www.derekenwinkel.nl/hp-prime-gr...-1201.html

I see no indication that this is specifically the G2 model. If it is then I'm getting one...

Yes, it is! Smile I have just changed the site to refer to G2. If you're having difficulties on ordering through the website, please send us an email or me a PB. There's more than enough stock available.

I tried hard to resist but failed miserable Smile so I pulled the trigger, went ahead and ordered 2. Hope you can expedite the shipping. I got one for my daughter who is starting college this fall and it would be nice to get it before she starts.

thx
08-15-2018, 07:18 AM
(08-14-2018 08:34 AM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  Yes, it is! Smile I have just changed the site to refer to G2. If you're having difficulties on ordering through the website, please send us an email or me a PB. There's more than enough stock available.

I nearly hit the "order" button but then realized you don't charge VAT/BTW on overseas orders. This makes it highly inconvenient for me because Royal Mail will want to collect VAT from me, meaning that I have to book time off work to go to the post office and collect the parcel.
08-15-2018, 07:51 AM
(08-15-2018 07:18 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  but then realized you don't charge VAT/BTW on overseas orders.
Really. Why You do not charge VAT? I am not overseas, I am in EU, also no VAT.
08-15-2018, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2018 11:17 AM by KlaasKuperus.)
(08-15-2018 07:51 AM)Voldemar Wrote:  
(08-15-2018 07:18 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  but then realized you don't charge VAT/BTW on overseas orders.
Really. Why You do not charge VAT? I am not overseas, I am in EU, also no VAT.

We do charge VAT, but due to some error in the site it was not calculated on the site. It should be better now. Smile

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

08-15-2018, 11:23 AM
(08-15-2018 11:11 AM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  We do charge VAT, but due to some error in the site it was not calculated on the site. It should be better now. Smile

It's better for the VAT now but it's also charging €15,88 for postage and handling when right next to it, the page says "Verzending en verwerking (Standaard verzendkosten - Gratis vanaf €100)

En daar dacht ik dat €139 hoger dan €100 was Smile
08-15-2018, 02:55 PM
(08-15-2018 11:23 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(08-15-2018 11:11 AM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  We do charge VAT, but due to some error in the site it was not calculated on the site. It should be better now. Smile

It's better for the VAT now but it's also charging €15,88 for postage and handling when right next to it, the page says "Verzending en verwerking (Standaard verzendkosten - Gratis vanaf €100)

En daar dacht ik dat €139 hoger dan €100 was Smile

PM Smile

08-15-2018, 10:20 PM
(08-10-2018 02:12 PM)Dirk.nl Wrote:  Hello,
Today received my new G2 HP Prime from derekenwinkel.nl (Klaas Kuperus).
HP Product: 2AP18AA # B1S.
Hardware version: D.
CAS 1.4.9
Operating System: V2.060.650.

This afternoon I have updated it to version 2.0.0.13865. This went smoothly.
It's faster than my old HW-A, I've noticed this by reallocating the app icons at Application Library.
I have not done any speed measurements.
Of course the G2 has the high contrast keys. For the rest the same appearance.
I’m very happy with my new G2 HP Prime!

Hi Dirk,

I ordered mine today

Tell me........in regards to 3d graphing, there is a program someone made and has been refining........Have you used that in tandem w/this HP Prime G2?

Thanks,
Stefos

P.S. I PM'd & emailed Klaus as I ordered the G2 from his site
I hope he has that model in stock or I'll cancel the order.
08-16-2018, 03:08 AM
Is there a website that compares HW C with HW D vis-à-vis clock speed, memory sizes, benchmarks? I've been looking for one but am unable to find it.

Tom L
Cui bono?
08-16-2018, 06:11 AM
This topic contains the largest amount of hardware characteristics and benchmarks I'm aware of.

The TI-Planet topic relays this information and adds:
* other pictures of the G2 calculator;
* notes about the Prime G2 firmware upgrade process: unlike older Prime models, the G2 rejects small modifications to the standard OS. HP added signatures and a validation upon install: if the signature doesn't match the content, the OS upgrade is rejected. Although this doesn't mean that the Prime G2 is as much of a closed platform than the TI-Nspire series (further examination is required), that's probably bad news for third-party programming on the Prime G2...
* I've started documenting the contents of the Prime G2 OS image. I stopped when I found what looks very much like the signature data. Going further in an efficient manner requires making a tool similar to imgmanip for the TI-Nspire series, and I didn't have time to do that yesterday evening.
08-16-2018, 06:33 AM
Just noticed the G2 advertised at this site:

https://xtreme.metacomp.de/Shop-DE/Produ...hp-inc-hp-

For 109.97 € Incl. VAT, plus 0,00 EUR shipping to Germany. Elsewhere on site , shipping is stated as 25€ to uk.

Its not in stock at the moment but worth keeping an eye on
08-16-2018, 08:53 AM
Hi Stefos,
I don’t use any other 3D program. I hardly use the standard 3D app.

— Dirk Hartland
08-16-2018, 10:59 PM
(08-16-2018 06:11 AM)debrouxl Wrote:  * notes about the Prime G2 firmware upgrade process: unlike older Prime models, the G2 rejects small modifications to the standard OS. HP added signatures and a validation upon install: if the signature doesn't match the content, the OS upgrade is rejected. Although this doesn't mean that the Prime G2 is as much of a closed platform than the TI-Nspire series (further examination is required), that's probably bad news for third-party programming on the Prime G2...

For real? Is the firmware also separated in files (bootloader/OS/Prime) and it only checks signature on the Prime or it's completely locked down?
08-17-2018, 06:38 AM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2018 06:50 AM by debrouxl.)
Hi Claudio Smile

Quote:For real?
Well, yes, unfortunately. If it weren't, I wouldn't dare posting such fake news Wink
critor noticed that the OS upgrade process now contained three phases: "Verifying OS", "Preparing OS" and "Upgrading OS". Then, he tried to modify a byte in the embedded Tunnel.prgm sample: the OS upgrade failed the validation, and the process aborted. See https://ti-pla.net/p234280 and subsequent posts, in French.

Quote:Is the firmware also separated in files (bootloader/OS/Prime)
The HPPrime_OS.img file, which I started analyzing in that topic (but I should really be moving the information to the TI-Planet hpwiki... and also, I should have written the analysis in English from the get go !) contains separate files for the bootloader and the Prime OS. The "files.sig" file contains validation information for 79 files.
I haven't yet written a program to parse the HPPrime_OS.img file format. In earlier years, I'd have written it in C-like C++, but nowadays, I also need to learn Go, so I'd probably make it in that language, despite the inefficiency of that approach for such small programs - building statically linked, near-empty programs with the standard toolchain seems to yield ~ 1 MB binaries, even after stripping.

Quote:and it only checks signature on the Prime or it's completely locked down?
It validates basically all files, though I haven't checked using the yet-unwritten program that all of the blocks visible in the file are covered by the validation.
I don't yet know precisely how files are validated. ~35 bytes per file rules out a per-file RSA, or probably ECDSA, signature. However, as I wrote in the TI-Planet topic, there might be 32-byte hashes and a 2048-bit RSA key (or two 1024-bit RSA keys) - the numbers are aligned. Of course, it's just a guess at this point, which may be disproved...
I looked for (direct) references to "files.sig" in the whole HPPrime_OS.img file, and listed them in the TI-Planet topic: there are few of them, and one of them is probably related to the block which parses this file and validates the OS contents.
08-17-2018, 11:44 PM
(08-17-2018 06:38 AM)debrouxl Wrote:  Hi Claudio Smile

Quote:For real?
Well, yes, unfortunately.

My intent was not to question your findings, of course, but it was more an expression of "wonder", as this goes against the spirit of openness and collaboration we've seen through the years. Hard to believe they would lock it down.
Now there were reports in the past of a few bricked Primes during flashing, so it wouldn't surprise me if they implemented some kind of hash to verify that what you are about to burn into flash is what you intended. Of course, we'd have to figure out how to recompute the hashes after changing a file (and by we I mean the community, which after simplifying the equation gets reduced to essentially... you and critor Smile ).
Complete lockdown with full crypto simply doesn't sound like an idea Tim or Cyrille would want to implement, just doesn't fit their profile.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)