HP22S display compatible replacement
01-15-2019, 08:17 AM
HP22S display compatible replacement
Hi,

I have to replace my HP22S display (it looks like burned), Do you know if are there other models compatible? I.e. Can I use the HP10B display as spare part for the 22S?

Thanks and kind regards.

Ignacio
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2019, 11:37 AM
RE: HP22S display compatible replacement
(01-15-2019 08:17 AM)isanchez Wrote:  Hi,

I have to replace my HP22S display (it looks like burned), Do you know if are there other models compatible? I.e. Can I use the HP10B display as spare part for the 22S?

Thanks and kind regards.

Ignacio
Hi,

the LCD of the 22S is the same as in the 32S.
However there is a variation: At least the 32S was made with two slightly different LCD units: The older version with an additional protective glass, and an optically recessed version.

The optically recessed LCD uses larger elements/pixels. It's the same LCD as in the 32SII .

Nonetheless they should be interchangeable theoretically.

I'm not sure if I'd canibalize a 32S or 32SII for a 22S, except if it's a broken one;-)

-- Ray
01-15-2019, 12:36 PM
(01-15-2019 11:37 AM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  
(01-15-2019 08:17 AM)isanchez Wrote:  Hi,

Thanks and kind regards.

Ignacio
Hi,

the LCD of the 22S is the same as in the 32S.
However there is a variation: At least the 32S was made with two slightly different LCD units: The older version with an additional protective glass, and an optically recessed version.

The optically recessed LCD uses larger elements/pixels. It's the same LCD as in the 32SII .

Nonetheless they should be interchangeable theoretically.

I'm not sure if I'd canibalize a 32S or 32SII for a 22S, except if it's a broken one;-)

And if you succeed in turning a normal 22S into a recessed bezel version I believe there will be several people interested in it! ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-15-2019, 01:11 PM
An HP 14B LCD should also be a good candidate for your 22S. However before sacrificing a 14B for a LCD transplant, and if your LCD issue is similar, you can try the fix described in this video.
01-15-2019, 04:17 PM
Hi again,

thanks! yes, HP32S is not acceptable ;-D

The HP14B would be a candidate. The 22s is in a really good state.
In any case, the issue looks very much like the YouTube video. It not the black stuff spread all around. Thanks Didier!

I shall check it during the week-end.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Ignacio
01-15-2019, 10:28 PM
(01-15-2019 01:11 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  An HP 14B LCD should also be a good candidate for your 22S. However before sacrificing a 14B for a LCD transplant, and if your LCD issue is similar, you can try the fix described in this video.

I replaced a "cooked" display (large blackened oval in the middle of the display) of an HP-22S with a display taken from an HP-14B. The whole process was not too difficult, and there are clear instructions on how to open a Pioneer type calculator in the old articles section. Check here

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ticles.cgi

After replacing the LCD I tried the approach outlined in the article Didier gave above, and the reflective backing did have the large oval spot. The LCD itself, as you can probably tell, is still perfectly functional. I didn't continue with the repair though, so if you give it a try I'm sure many would be interested in your experience and results!

Good luck,
~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
01-16-2019, 09:12 AM
Hi,

thanks everybody for your help. I shall try during the week-end...with calm...;-D

I was very surprised when I found the HP22 in that state. It has been stored with other Pioneers (around 15 of different models), during months, in a big plastic case. No batteries installed and the storage conditions where optimum (dry, dark, etc.)

Kind regards,

Ignacio
03-05-2019, 07:39 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2019 07:42 AM by isanchez.)
Hi again,

I have access to a non working HP21S (really cheap) do you know if this model implements the same display as the 32S/22S/14B models?

On the other hand, I have followed the proposed solution and it is easy to do, but the thing is that it is hard to find a similar material for the background sheet, so it provides the same (or similar) aspect to the display. I am testing with all I find around...

Thanks and kind regards

Ignacio
03-05-2019, 08:21 AM
(03-05-2019 07:39 AM)isanchez Wrote:  I have access to a non working HP21S (really cheap) do you know if this model implements the same display as the 32S/22S/14B models?
The 21S is a variation of the 20S, and thus uses the same LCD as the 20S and the 10B.

10B units should be available for small money, so that could be a way to go.

Cheers

Ray

-- Ray
03-05-2019, 08:57 AM
Thanks Raymond!!

In this moment I have two Pioneers to repair with the same "burned" display.
One is an HP22s and the other is an HP32s....from your answer, I cannot use the Hp21s display as spare part ( I can access to a not working HP 21 s very cheap)

Another (cheaper) way to solve it is to find a proper silvered film to replace the "burned" one.

Thanks again!!!
Ignacio
03-20-2019, 09:56 AM
RE: HP22S display working but with black elliptical stain
Hi,

just to report that I have finally repaired a HP22s and a HP32s displays following your recommendations (thanks!!).
The process was absolutely satisfactory:

-Open the calculator following one of the many tutorials available.

-Remove the board, leaving the display accesible.

-No not remove the display in any way.

-Remove the two zebra connector stripes (the black band goes towards the display)

-Peel the silvered adhesive plastic sheet that is adhered to the display.

-Clean carefully the display glass, removing the glue stains (is there are).

- This is the most critical issue: what can be used to replace the mate silver coated sheet? I suggest the mate side of home-use aluminium foil...I have tested many sources without optimum display tone. Remember : the mate side, not the bright. Carefully cut the proper size..

-Place this sheet in the display and use your finger to place it avoiding wrinkles!!

- I find there is no need to glue the aluminium foil to the display...

-Install the board back and test the calculator before putting the back side back.

That's all!

I have pictures, but high res...if you want, I can post them...after resizing.

Hope it helps,

Kind regards

Ignacio
03-20-2019, 04:04 PM
I'd like to see a photo of the new reflective backing in place, and of the resulting display. Foil bonded to an index card using a spray adhesive might be a good approach to putting something in place without wrinkles.

Good show!
~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
03-20-2019, 05:39 PM
HI,

I upload the pictures in the other post.
Consider this closed.
Regards

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)