Programming cable for HP-20B/30B and WP-34S
05-03-2014, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2014 06:49 PM by jebem.)
Programming cable for HP-20B/30B and WP-34S
We all know that the HP serial programming cables are extinct since long time ago.

So several ideas come out to build DIY cables, but the ones I saw so far are missing one important component: the plastic plug with 6-pin POGO connector to attach to the calculator.
Without a proper POGO connector, the flashing operations are cumbersome, and requires a lot of manual (if easy) sequence of operations. I have being doing that using a USB to serial cable, a set of cell batteries and a piece of wire to do the Erase. The 3 wires (GND, TxD and RxD) from the serial cable need to be inserted into the holes in the calculator and it just takes a small hand movement to brake one of the connections and abort the flashing operation. It can be done in this way, but it is really not what I'm looking for.

The best examples uses USB interface and a DIY 6-pin POGO connector using beryllium copper metal clips (Thanks to Katie Wasserman, Dave Frederickson, Jonathan Cameron, among others, that shared their ideas).
I made a similar connector, but it doesn't fit properly in my case... a new order of additional POGO pins are in his way for another try, this time with better metal clips.

Even using the Harald USB interface, one still has the need for a serial cable with two buttons (Reset and Erase) and that 6-pin POGO connector to do a proper job when re-flashing the calculators.

Meanwhile I just found this thread in the MoHPC archives, dated as of Aug-2012, where Katie Wasserman suggests the use of thermoplastics by Shapelock to make this 6-pin POGO connector:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ead=227814
For me it sounds more appealing than the others alternatives.
Did anyone succeed using this idea?

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2014, 09:32 PM
RE: Programming cable for HP-20B/30B and WP-34S
(05-03-2014 06:43 PM)jebem Wrote:  Even using the Harald USB interface, one still has the need for a serial cable with two buttons (Reset and Erase) and that 6-pin POGO connector to do a proper job when re-flashing the calculators.

Why?? Please look at p. 168 (of 244) of the manual - there's nothing more than a standard micro USB cable required - neither 'a serial cable with two buttons (Reset and Erase)' nor 'that 6-pin POGO connector' is needed here. HTH

d:-/
05-03-2014, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2014 10:04 PM by jebem.)
(05-03-2014 09:32 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 06:43 PM)jebem Wrote:  Even using the Harald USB interface, one still has the need for a serial cable with two buttons (Reset and Erase) and that 6-pin POGO connector to do a proper job when re-flashing the calculators.

Why?? Please look at p. 168 (of 244) of the manual - there's nothing more than a standard micro USB cable required - neither 'a serial cable with two buttons (Reset and Erase)' nor 'that 6-pin POGO connector' is needed here. HTH

dUndecided

Sorry Walter, my bad English expressions can be misunderstood Smile
My understanding is that the Harald USB adapter is a partial replacement for the serial cable, because it does the flashing operation but it misses the Erase button. This is valid for the initial flashing, when converting from HP-30B to a WP-34S.
Am I correct?

My statement was related to the initial Erase procedure that requires a manual intervention (using clips or a piece of wire) when using the Harald adapter. I have just confirmed it in the WP-34S guide to be sure (page 150 on my User guide).

But I agree that the Harald adapter is a great addition to the 34S, and will automate the next firmware updates once we have a working 34S. I am considering acquiring it as well.

By the way, my 34S is alive! At last!
It worked at first try, using rudimentary procedures Smile
I also have made a tiny small donation to the cause in SourceForge.
Now, where is that User Guide...?

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-04-2014, 07:53 AM
(05-03-2014 09:57 PM)jebem Wrote:  
walter b Wrote:
jebem Wrote:Even using the Harald USB interface, one still has the need for a serial cable with two buttons (Reset and Erase) and that 6-pin POGO connector to do a proper job when re-flashing the calculators.

Please look at p. 168 (of 244) of the manual - there's nothing more than a standard micro USB cable required - neither 'a serial cable with two buttons (Reset and Erase)' nor 'that 6-pin POGO connector' is needed here.

Sorry Walter, my bad English expressions can be misunderstood Smile

Nice try. Big Grin That may explain the cable but not 'that 6-pin POGO connector' printed even bold. Wink

Quote:My understanding is that the Harald USB adapter is a partial replacement for the serial cable, because it does the flashing operation but it misses the Erase button. This is valid for the initial flashing, when converting from HP-30B to a WP-34S.
Am I correct?

Sim.

Quote:By the way, my 34S is alive! At last!
It worked at first try, using rudimentary procedures

Parabems! Por favor, check the usage of 'at last' versus 'at first try' for logical consistency Wink

Quote:I also have made a tiny small donation to the cause in SourceForge.

Thus we say a tiny small obrigado. Smile

Quote:Now, where is that User Guide...?

Oh, we were just waiting for you to finish flashing ... Wink

d:-)
05-04-2014, 09:00 AM
(05-04-2014 07:53 AM)walter b Wrote:  
Quote:By the way, my 34S is alive! At last!
It worked at first try, using rudimentary procedures

Parabems! Por favor, check the usage of 'at last' versus 'at first try' for logical consistency Wink

Guten Tag, Walter!

When I said "at last" I meant that my long waiting to have a WP-34S was over yesterday...
You see, I wanted to do it in the proper way (with a good Pogo connector attached to my diy usb serial cable, that is... Smile ) but I couldn't wait any longer, so I finally decided to flash the calculator using the components I had at hand!

Vielen Dank for Your comments and continued support!

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)