HP Prime Pro vs standard
02-05-2019, 05:33 PM
HP Prime Pro vs standard
Hi all,

New member here and new owner of two HP Primes G2s (2AP18AA).

I have a question concerning the connectivity of these two calculators in order to share info between them. I looked at the Wireless Kit however this is out of my budget range. When I was reading thru the following chain that was comparing the standard iOS app (free) vs the paid HP Prime Pro ($35) it seemed to imply that the Pro version would allow me to transfer programs between 2 calculators.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10096.html

If I purchase the Pro version of the HP Prime app will it allow me to connect both of my new Primes via wifi, or do I still require the $800 connectivity kit which includes the USB transmitter and 30 calculator wifi dongles.

Also if there is a listing of features that the Pro has over the standard version would you be able to provide me with a link / description.

Many thanks ahead of time!
Belgrath
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2019, 05:59 AM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2019 07:49 AM by cyrille de brébisson.)
RE: HP Prime Pro vs standard
Hello,

The hp con kit will allow you to connect a G2, or Prime pro to a PC/Mac and use the computer as a hub to exchange data.

Also, your 2 G2 should have come with a cable that allows direct connection between the 2 calculators.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
02-06-2019, 02:12 PM
(02-06-2019 05:59 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

You do not need the 800$ kit.

Download the HP connectivity kit from the HP support site, this is all you need.

The hp con kit will allow you to connect a G2, or Prime pro to a PC/Mac and use the computer as a hub to exchange data.

Also, your 2 G2 should have come with a cable that allows dirrect connection between the 2 calculators.

Cyrille

That is awesome, thanks Cyrille!
02-07-2019, 02:53 AM
(02-06-2019 02:12 PM)belgrath Wrote:  
(02-06-2019 05:59 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

You do not need the 800$ kit.

Download the HP connectivity kit from the HP support site, this is all you need.

Also, your 2 G2 should have come with a cable that allows dirrect connection between the 2 calculators.

Cyrille

That is awesome, thanks Cyrille!

Will I be able to connect the HP Connectivity Kit with a HP Prime wirelessly without the kit though?

Belg
02-07-2019, 05:53 AM
Hello,

You can use the con kit to connect physical HP Prime using a USB cable OR the wireless dongles (if you have some).

You can use the con kit to connect virtual primes (PC, mac, IOs and Android) using the local IP network (which can be wiered or wifi).

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
02-07-2019, 03:48 PM
(02-07-2019 05:53 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

You can use the con kit to connect physical HP Prime using a USB cable OR the wireless dongles (if you have some).
The wireless dongles I can purchase 2 of those separately, but this would require the transmitter too correct? That being said, I thought that the G2 model already had wireless capabilities built into it, so I thought that it would be able to connect directly to a wifi network. Unless this was on purpose disabled for the classroom environment...

Quote:You can use the con kit to connect virtual primes (PC, mac, IOs and Android) using the local IP network (which can be wired or wifi).

Cyrille
02-07-2019, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2019 04:56 PM by ijabbott.)
(02-07-2019 03:48 PM)belgrath Wrote:  The wireless dongles I can purchase 2 of those separately, but this would require the transmitter too correct? That being said, I thought that the G2 model already had wireless capabilities built into it, so I thought that it would be able to connect directly to a wifi network. Unless this was on purpose disabled for the classroom environment...

I suppose any wireless capabilities of the G2 Prime have would have to be compatible with those of a rev B or C G1 Prime with the wireless dongle. Note that this is "wireless", but not "Wi-Fi", so you cannot connect to a Wi-Fi access point directly (at least on a G1 Prime).

— Ian Abbott
02-07-2019, 07:14 PM
(02-07-2019 04:55 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(02-07-2019 03:48 PM)belgrath Wrote:  ...so I thought that it would be able to connect directly to a wifi network. Unless this was on purpose disabled for the classroom environment...

I suppose any wireless capabilities of the G2 Prime have would have to be compatible with those of a rev B or C G1 Prime with the wireless dongle. Note that this is "wireless", but not "Wi-Fi", so you cannot connect to a Wi-Fi access point directly (at least on a G1 Prime).

Both conclusions are correct. The Prime was designed for controlled School environments, and although the wireless communications it uses are in the WiFi range (2.4GHz) they are specifically NOT compatible with standard WiFi, to allow schools to manage classroom use independent of other WiFi systems that may be in place, and also to prevent student use of non-managed network access.

The only downside I see here, is if WiFi was supported, we'd probably be seeing some real amazing games for Prime users to play through the network. And possibly some small unit-to-unit chat apps that could deliver answers to test questions, homework and the like. Though clearly not appropriate for the intended audience, the hacking done to get these working would probably by useful and instructive for other Prime programmers.

So, sadly, the HP decision to not work on WiFi was probably the right one. For their goals.

--Bob Prosperi
02-08-2019, 06:38 AM
Hello,

> the wireless dongles I can purchase 2 of those separately, but this would require the transmitter too correct?

The hardware in the dongle (orange plug in for the calculator) and the antena ("transmiter" that plugs in the PC) are exactly the same.
So, if you have 2 Prime, you can purchase 3 dongles and connect one of the dongle to the PC through a USB A to USB Micro adaptor and it will work.

>I thought that the G2 model already had wireless capabilities built into it, so I thought that it would be able to connect directly to a wifi network.

Nope, the G2 does NOT have build in wifi. Furthemore, as explained bellow, the Prime wireless system is NOT compatible with 802.11 WiFi. So you can not connect to your wifi network with them.

>So, sadly, the HP decision to not work on WiFi was probably the right one. For their goals.

For a number of reasons. Power consumption, in school security, complexity of implementation (WiFi requires full TCP/IP stack!)...
But one of the main reason is that most networks in schools are so protected that you can not connect to them unless you have been authorized by the school IT group. And they would not have allowed kids to just walk in with gazzilions of devices to add to the system... So, our "plug and play" system ends up: 1) working: 2) be much simpler to use than the TI system (for example), which is WiFi based...

Cyrille

02-08-2019, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2019 01:56 PM by cdmackay.)
It would have been nice if the Prime had shipped with the dongle. I'm struggling (still looking) to find anywhere (UK/EU) that sells them individually, rather than in a set of 30. anyone know, please?

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
02-08-2019, 04:41 PM
Was Bluetooth ever considered (and rejected)?

— Ian Abbott
02-08-2019, 06:17 PM
(02-08-2019 01:55 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  It would have been nice if the Prime had shipped with the dongle. I'm struggling (still looking) to find anywhere (UK/EU) that sells them individually, rather than in a set of 30. anyone know, please?

Oxford Educational tell me that in fact they're not available separately (here, at least), only in the expensive set with the base station.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
02-11-2019, 06:51 AM
hello,

BT was out at the time due to $ and lack of support on G1.
Also, since they are standard protocols/systems, it would have been harder for us to garanty "no cheating"...

Since they are designed for schools, this is why they are sold in 30 packs. however, I thought that we also made a 10 pack...

Did you check with Eric Rechlin, at some point, I thought that he had purchased a pack or too to "break them up"?

Cyrille

02-11-2019, 03:45 PM
Good idea, thanks; I'm waiting to hear from Eric on another matter, so once he replies I'll ask.

Cambridge, UK
Casio, Rockwell 18R
02-12-2019, 01:54 AM
(02-11-2019 06:51 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Did you check with Eric Rechlin, at some point, I thought that he had purchased a pack or too to "break them up"?

No, I did not. I never found a source. And, in fact, due to lack of interest in the Prime I have decided to not restock them; once I have sold the remainder of my Rev C units (which I am selling at cost just to get rid of them) I will not order any more.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2019, 03:03 PM
(02-11-2019 06:51 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Did you check with Eric Rechlin, at some point, I thought that he had purchased a pack or too to "break them up"?

Eric wasn't able to find a source.

I spoke to Oxford Educational (where I bought my Prime and 50g); they believe they are able to get 10-packs.

If there is enough interest, I would be willing to buy it, and distribute on at cost. Looks like the cost will be about £50 per dongle plus shipping. Possibly a bit less if the pack is 10 dongles and the base station, since that would make 11 units in total.

NOTE: you would need to buy two units: one for the Prime, one for the PC. I believe that's correct?

If you're in the EU, and we get this done before end of March, it will avoid customs duties. I will be paying VAT, so hopefully that won't also be levied. Outside the EU, or after March 29th and this disastrous Brexit, it may well be more.

Cambridge, UK
Casio, Rockwell 18R
02-13-2019, 10:48 PM
(02-13-2019 07:15 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  hello,

You actually do not need a base, as said earlier, the base and the dongle are exactly the same....

The base offers 2 things: extra distance of wifi (better antenae) and a PC usb plug. however, if you use a normal /usB to micro USB connector, you can connect a dongle to the PC and it will work as an antenea..

Cyrille

thanks!

Cambridge, UK
Casio, Rockwell 18R
02-13-2019, 11:42 PM
(02-08-2019 01:55 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  It would have been nice if the Prime had shipped with the dongle. I'm struggling (still looking) to find anywhere (UK/EU) that sells them individually, rather than in a set of 30. anyone know, please?

Do you already have the base antenna? The dongles are useless without one. If so, how many do you need? I bought the base with 30 dongles and I only need three of them.

Tom L
Cui bono?
02-14-2019, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2019 12:04 AM by ijabbott.)
(02-13-2019 11:42 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  

Do you already have the base antenna? The dongles are useless without one. If so, how many do you need? I bought the base with 30 dongles and I only need three of them.

Cyrille mentioned that the base station is basically the same as a dongle but with a better antenna and a USB lead included. So you don't need a base station. You just need (at least) two dongles.

— Ian Abbott
02-14-2019, 01:47 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2019 01:48 AM by Mark Hardman.)
(02-13-2019 07:15 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  hello,

You actually do not need a base, as said earlier, the base and the dongle are exactly the same....

The base offers 2 things: extra distance of wifi (better antenae) and a PC usb plug. however, if you use a normal /usB to micro USB connector, you can connect a dongle to the PC and it will work as an antenea..

Cyrille

I just put this to the test. I purchased the necessary USB adapter from the 'Zon:

USB 2.0 a Male to Micro USB Female Converter Adapter

There is a thin plastic ridge on one side of the Connectivity Kit wireless adapter that prevented it from fitting properly on the USB adapter. I removed this section of plastic using a thin razor saw and the two fix together perfectly. I loaded up the Connectivity Kit and inserted that assembly into a USB port. I inserted a second wireless adapter into my Prime G2 and was immediately able to connect the calculator to my "Classroom".

Here's a picture:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6923]

I think I know what I'm going to present at HHC 2019!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Ceci n'est pas une signature.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)