Function App Symbolic F1(x)
02-06-2019, 07:18 PM
Function App Symbolic F1(x)
Function App.
Enter some function such as x^2.
Go home.

VARS > APP tab > 1 FUNCTION > 2 SYMBOLIC > 1 F1

Doing the above key sequence has always resulted in the symbolic view of the first function I entered previously (x^2)

It started showing me the actual function instead as of lately. I am not too sure what I am missing.

I like to set up equations in function App and then go home and do the above key sequence to get F1 and then I add (6) to form the following: F1(6)

The result is 36.

When the symbol F1 does not appear, I lose this functionality.

How do I get this back?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2019, 11:02 PM
RE: Function App Symbolic F1(x)
Curious, what happened to make the F1 symbol disappear?

I know if you are in other apps we can use Function.F1 to return the equation and Function.F1(X) to evaluate F1(x).

Eddie
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2019, 05:07 PM
(02-09-2019 11:02 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  Curious, what happened to make the F1 symbol disappear?

I know if you are in other apps we can use Function.F1 to return the equation and Function.F1(X) to evaluate F1(x).

Eddie

When I go to settings (Home or CAS). Even if I change nothing, once I come out of the settings, then the symbolic mode (F1, F2, etc...) goes away. Doing the above sequence in my previous post, will display the function rather instead. I have to reset device in order get symbolic back. And never go into settings...

I don’t get it...?
02-11-2019, 05:34 PM
Here is a video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgamz38dwzdmq6...M.mov?dl=0

First off I show how the symbolic view works for functions in both CAS and Home.

Then, I simply go into settings and immediately exit with zero changes. I hit escape.

Then I repeat the first thing I did, add function variable again. But this time, as you see, it shows the entire function as entered in the Function app (Symb) button.
02-12-2019, 01:37 AM
There was a bug a while back around this. Are you up to date?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
02-12-2019, 01:40 AM
(02-12-2019 01:37 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  There was a bug a while back around this. Are you up to date?

I updated the Calc maybe over a year ago.

But it worked and the stopped working on the same version. Starting last month.

I will just update the Calc to the newest version tonight and see if this fixes it.

I will report back.
02-12-2019, 02:09 AM
Previously, there was a button labeled "VALUE" in English that was a toggle in the menu there. That was removed, but there was still a location in 1 spot that looked in a place no longer being used for that setting. Thus it sometimes felt like it randomly was changing when in fact that other setting change was controlling it.

Updating should correct your problem for sure.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
02-12-2019, 09:02 AM
As a general rule and in particular with a recent product, firmware updates correct bugs that are found post-release. To ensure that the problem you're experiencing is not down to a bug that's already been fixed, you really want to make sure that you're up to date *before* reporting a problem...
02-14-2019, 04:10 AM
(02-12-2019 09:02 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  As a general rule and in particular with a recent product, firmware updates correct bugs that are found post-release. To ensure that the problem you're experiencing is not down to a bug that's already been fixed, you really want to make sure that you're up to date *before* reporting a problem...

Thanks, Tim, for the support. Updating to the late 2018 version seems to work. Also, a friend of mine has the same version I previously had, and his function symbol calls seemed to work just fine. He had the same version but did not have the issues I was running into. I'm not sure what was happening there. We are both up to date now.

GRSBANKS, I want to point something out to you. Perhaps you can explain it to me...

1. In the beginning I did not have this issue. It simply did not exist. It worked fine.
2. Suddenly, the problem started occurring... Nothing changed from the state in which it worked to when it stopped. Never was the calc plugged into a computer during this time.

So, from a logical standpoint, I cannot make sense of how you can be on some version, have it work just fine on Friday and come Saturday morning it simply fail to work. Especially when it has had zero updates in the time frame of when it worked vs did not work.

Thoughts?
02-14-2019, 08:50 AM
That can happen as a result of memory corruption, itself down to a bug in that firmware version.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)