What has been the most you ever paid for a calculator?
07-09-2019, 01:06 PM
RE: What has been the most you ever paid for a calculator?
(07-09-2019 10:47 AM)coitboy2000 Wrote:  I may need to sell one of my 71b's now. No one needs three right ?

Well, what if 2 should suddenly fail? You can never be too sure...

Thanks for explaining about the ROMs, I didn't realize it was the same as the earlier post about the AMP ROMs.

I don't know what you're planning to update the EPROMs to, but I strongly recommend one of them have the JPC ROM installed. If you will be doing any programming at all on the 71B, the JPC ROM is by far the most useful and interesting module you can have.

The ML program in the current image is a program that is automatically run after a 71B Mem Lost (hence the name) occurs, so you should tailor the ML program to the kinds of settings you like to have in your machine, so they can be automatically restored if/when a Mem Lost occurs. Just let Sylvain know you want to tailor it and use the new one vs. the stock one in the image. Note that you can't test your ML program, if based on the original, as it uses some features in the JPC LEX file.

Good luck!

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2019, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the tip Bob. Yes the jpc rom is going to be on one of the 3 cmt modules. I will liase with Sylvain about the ML setup.

Just in case it wasn't clear, i have purchased two 71b in recent weeks both with the 3 x AMP cmt roms. I now have 6 x 64k eproms. The most recent machine comes almost new and conplete in original box, and although i had just recently purchased one with the AMP roms, I couldn't help myself.

If only I could find a programmer so I could spend weekends burning eproms Smile

Richard
(07-09-2019 01:06 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(07-09-2019 10:47 AM)coitboy2000 Wrote:  I may need to sell one of my 71b's now. No one needs three right ?

Well, what if 2 should suddenly fail? You can never be too sure...

Thanks for explaining about the ROMs, I didn't realize it was the same as the earlier post about the AMP ROMs.

I don't know what you're planning to update the EPROMs to, but I strongly recommend one of them have the JPC ROM installed. If you will be doing any programming at all on the 71B, the JPC ROM is by far the most useful and interesting module you can have.

The ML program in the current image is a program that is automatically run after a 71B Mem Lost (hence the name) occurs, so you should tailor the ML program to the kinds of settings you like to have in your machine, so they can be automatically restored if/when a Mem Lost occurs. Just let Sylvain know you want to tailor it and use the new one vs. the stock one in the image. Note that you can't test your ML program, if based on the original, as it uses some features in the JPC LEX file.

Good luck!
07-09-2019, 01:32 PM
(07-09-2019 01:20 PM)coitboy2000 Wrote:  Just in case it wasn't clear, i have purchased two 71b in recent weeks both with the 3 x AMP cmt roms. I now have 6 x 64k eproms. The most recent machine comes almost new and conplete in original box, and although i had just recently purchased one with the AMP roms, I couldn't help myself.

Thanks for clarifying, it does indeed explain my confusion. I suppose there's no reasonable way to have assumed someone would buy 2 such machines so close together, but fortunately there is no requirement to be reasonable. Smile And really nice to have so many 64K EPROMS!

We've hijacked this thread too far though, so suggest starting a new thread to solicit input on what else to load onto the EPROMS, there plenty of 71B folks here with suggestions.

--Bob Prosperi
07-09-2019, 03:14 PM
(07-09-2019 10:47 AM)coitboy2000 Wrote:  Alas the cmt roms are the same three AMP roms already on the way to Sylvain to flash with something more useful.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-13...#pid117715

I havent got this HP-71b yet but if they are any different to the previous roms I posted I will happily share them on the forum.

I may need to sell one of my 71b's now. No one needs three right ?

Richard

The space program uses three computers for critical functions. They vote on output. If the vote is two to one, then the two win out. I have no idea what happens if they get three different answers!

Tom L
Cui bono?
07-09-2019, 06:55 PM
Hi, Bob:

(07-09-2019 01:06 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  If you will be doing any programming at all on the 71B, the JPC ROM is by far the most useful and interesting module you can have

I understand that it's a matter of personal opinion and one's particular needs but IMO that "by far" belongs to the Math Rom, and in that case "far" would mean something like "light years ahead".

The JPC Rom is truly wonderful and the second best Rom you can have, I've installed it in every emulator I've got and I'm using it all the time. But it doesn't hold a candle to the Math Rom, no other Rom does.

I can live without the JPC Rom, I did for many years. But I can't live without the Math Rom. If I were forced to, I'd rather stop using the HP-71B altogether, it would be useless to me so I would forget about it and quickly seek for an alternative.

iMO. Your mileage may vary.

Best.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2019, 08:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2019 09:15 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(07-09-2019 01:06 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Note that you can't test your ML program, if based on the original, as it uses some features in the JPC LEX file.

EPROM images can be tested in Emu71. It makes it easier for someone to burn an EPROM if the programs are provided in an image rather than a list of files. For that matter, using Emu71 is the easiest method way to build an EPROM image as it can export IRAM (EPROM) image files.

Don't forget to take into account the file overhead when estimating EPROM size.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-96...l#pid90447

Dave
07-10-2019, 12:21 AM
(07-09-2019 08:58 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  It makes it easier for someone to burn an EPROM if the programs are provided in an image rather than a list of files.
For that matter, using Emu71 is the easiest method way to build an EPROM image as it can export IRAM (EPROM) image files.
This is the best way to do.
I have asked Richard to build his own EPROMs content and test them with Emu71.
When he was satisfied he sent me the images that I then used to burn real test EPROMs.
He sent me his EPROM modules only when simulator and real hardware worked.
Sylvain
PS: Richard, your package was released from Canada custom today and should reach me either by Friday or early next week, hopefully without custom fee.
07-10-2019, 02:25 AM
I agree with both Dave and Sylvain, creating your own image in Emu71 is definitely the best way to go, but I wasn't sure if you're using Emu71 yet; learning that if you haven't used it before can be daunting, so I did not want to suggest it, but it will be the best way to go. It's not using Emu71 itself that's hard, it's all the 71 knowledge required to use Emu71 effectively for creating images that can take some time and effort. Of course it's easy for us to say 'just create a master image in Emu and it will work fine for the real modules' but we've been doing that for many, many years... but ask for help here if you need it.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)