HP-50g - In depth data sheet
04-17-2019, 02:29 PM
HP-50g - In depth data sheet
Does anyone know if there exists an in depth data sheet for the hp 50g that states things such as the current draw and protocols used for data transfer. Asking due to an interest in possibly modding mine.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2019, 08:07 PM
RE: HP-50g - In depth data sheet
(04-17-2019 02:29 PM)Visty Wrote:  Does anyone know if there exists an in depth data sheet for the hp 50g that states things such as the current draw and protocols used for data transfer. Asking due to an interest in possibly modding mine.

HP has never published details this specific. Your best bet is to scour the posts here (and the old forum) as well as the public comp.sys.hp48 newsgroup.

--Bob Prosperi
04-17-2019, 08:33 PM
(04-17-2019 08:07 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(04-17-2019 02:29 PM)Visty Wrote:  Does anyone know if there exists an in depth data sheet for the hp 50g that states things such as the current draw and protocols used for data transfer. Asking due to an interest in possibly modding mine.

HP has never published details this specific. Your best bet is to scour the posts here (and the old forum) as well as the public comp.sys.hp48 newsgroup.
Shoot. ok thanks for the help. I will probably end up just cracking it open and probing it.
04-17-2019, 10:31 PM
For communications protocols, I think XMODEM, and Kermit are supported. From what I remember of the XMODEM protocol, it cannot resolve file sizes to the exact byte and rounds it up to the packet size.

— Ian Abbott
04-18-2019, 03:22 AM
(04-17-2019 10:31 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  For communications protocols, I think XMODEM, and Kermit are supported. From what I remember of the XMODEM protocol, it cannot resolve file sizes to the exact byte and rounds it up to the packet size.

Yes, Ian you are correct both KERMIT and XMODEM are supported; I assumed the OP was referring to lower-level details but you are definitely correct to point this out, thanks for correcting my comment.

--Bob Prosperi
04-18-2019, 08:06 AM
Trouble is, this machine isn't actually manufactured by HP. The hardware is Chinese (Kinpo) and is based on a Samsung ARM9 core chip at 75MHz emulating a Saturn CPU.

There are plenty of references on line with descriptions of the original Saturn-based hardware but that all goes out the window with an emulation layer in place.
04-18-2019, 12:05 PM

If it's the serial port you wish to use, the following article might be useful reading:
https://www.allenwan.com/hpcalcserialcable/

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-19-2019, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2019 01:06 PM by Claudio L..)

What mods do you have in mind? Are you talking very low level hardware datasheet? Look for the S3C2410 manual, it has pretty much everything you need to know. I have (mostly in my head and some scattered paper sheets) a lot of information about the inner workings of the 50g hardware and I don't mind sharing with you. As a matter of fact, low-level drivers are available in source code as part of newRPL, you could remove the RPL core (or not!) and just use the machine like your own personal Arduino. Using your own firmware gives you total freedom to implement whatever protocols you want, you have full control of all GPIO, buzzer, timers, USB port, serial port, etc.
However, an actual Arduino might work better for you unless you need the keyboard, which circles back to my first question: what mods do you have in mind?
04-22-2019, 05:35 PM
(04-18-2019 08:06 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  Trouble is, this machine isn't actually manufactured by HP. The hardware is Chinese (Kinpo) and is based on a Samsung ARM9 core chip at 75MHz emulating a Saturn CPU.

There are plenty of references on line with descriptions of the original Saturn-based hardware but that all goes out the window with an emulation layer in place.

This helps quite a bit thank you
04-22-2019, 05:37 PM
(04-19-2019 01:05 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  

What mods do you have in mind? Are you talking very low level hardware datasheet? Look for the S3C2410 manual, it has pretty much everything you need to know. I have (mostly in my head and some scattered paper sheets) a lot of information about the inner workings of the 50g hardware and I don't mind sharing with you. As a matter of fact, low-level drivers are available in source code as part of newRPL, you could remove the RPL core (or not!) and just use the machine like your own personal Arduino. Using your own firmware gives you total freedom to implement whatever protocols you want, you have full control of all GPIO, buzzer, timers, USB port, serial port, etc.
However, an actual Arduino might work better for you unless you need the keyboard, which circles back to my first question: what mods do you have in mind?

Im mainly just looking for information to see what I can do I possibly want to expand the internal flash memory just for shits and gigs but I am really just looking to see what I can do as a learning leasson
04-23-2019, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2019 01:59 PM by Claudio L..)
(04-22-2019 05:37 PM)Visty Wrote:  Im mainly just looking for information to see what I can do I possibly want to expand the internal flash memory just for shits and gigs but I am really just looking to see what I can do as a learning leasson

The I think you should start with the S3C2410 manual to get familiar with the CPU (which includes most communications modules). Then newRPL's source code has (in the firmware folder) simple code to setup many of the features, there's also info on physical memory maps, some simple drivers, etc.
Since you mentioned the flash chip, it's an SST39VF1602 (2MB) on the 50g/40g, and SST39VF1601 (1MB) on the 39 series. There's a rudimentary CFI driver I wrote, and I'm currently working on an updated driver to do firmware updates over the USB port (almost done).
By the way, newRPL provides you with low-level PEEK and a POKE commands that will write a 32-bit word to any address you provide, so it's an easy way to interactively play with the GPIO, program the hardware directly, etc. all from the RPL environment.
Most of the GPIO connections are documented in the code itself. Still missing drivers for serial port and the buzzer.
I just connected a JTAG to my (damaged) 50g, so I can provide the pinout as well if you need it.

The only other person doing hardware mods out there that I know of added an SD card socket to a 39gs, he posted in this forum.

So the information is out there, scattered but feel free to PM if you need help with specific items. Looking forward to seeing your posts and tutorials.
04-25-2019, 12:03 AM
(04-23-2019 01:58 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  The I think you should start with the S3C2410 manual to get familiar with the CPU (which includes most communications modules). Then newRPL's source code has (in the firmware folder) simple code to setup many of the features, there's also info on physical memory maps, some simple drivers, etc.
Since you mentioned the flash chip, it's an SST39VF1602 (2MB) on the 50g/40g, and SST39VF1601 (1MB) on the 39 series. There's a rudimentary CFI driver I wrote, and I'm currently working on an updated driver to do firmware updates over the USB port (almost done).
By the way, newRPL provides you with low-level PEEK and a POKE commands that will write a 32-bit word to any address you provide, so it's an easy way to interactively play with the GPIO, program the hardware directly, etc. all from the RPL environment.
Most of the GPIO connections are documented in the code itself. Still missing drivers for serial port and the buzzer.
I just connected a JTAG to my (damaged) 50g, so I can provide the pinout as well if you need it.

The only other person doing hardware mods out there that I know of added an SD card socket to a 39gs, he posted in this forum.

So the information is out there, scattered but feel free to PM if you need help with specific items. Looking forward to seeing your posts and tutorials.

thank you very much I will start there and let you know if I run across anything I cannot find. as well as any progress I make if you are interested.
04-25-2019, 05:35 AM
Hello,

I do not remember if the 50g has auto flash (or RAM) size discovery, so adding more flash/ram would probably not do anything unless you also do some SW changes...

Anyhow, adding RAM will not help much as RAM limitations are imposed by the underlying Saturn CPU at the end of the day...

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)