Is the Swissmicros DM42 still supported?
04-27-2019, 10:57 PM
Is the Swissmicros DM42 still supported?
It has been 20 days since the last Free42 update that had changes adding functions to the Free42 that would also effect the DM42 functionality...Is the DM42 actively being supported and updated??..Just wondering...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2019, 12:23 AM
RE: Is the Swissmicros DM42 still supported?
(04-27-2019 10:57 PM)zeno333 Wrote:  It has been 20 days since the last Free42 update that had changes adding functions to the Free42 that would also effect the DM42 functionality...Is the DM42 actively being supported and updated??..Just wondering...

As has been explained by SM, more than once, they issue new releases of DM42 periodically when they have accumulated several changes, that may include bug fixes, DM42 enhancements, DMCP enhancements, etc. which can include Free42 updates that Thomas has released since the last DM42 release. They do not automatically plan a new DM42 release every time Free42 is updated.

Are you really wondering if SM may have stopped supporting the DM42 simply because a whopping 20 whole days has past since Free42 had an update and DM42 has not been updated to reflect that change??

Perhaps you're just trolling, and that would mean I fell for it I suppose, but really... get a life. Maybe write some Free42 programs that use features from the latest version of Free42 so that when the DM42 update with the new features finally is released, you'll be all set to test it out and verify it works.

--Bob Prosperi
04-28-2019, 08:01 AM
If you are too impatient to wait for an official, tested release, feel free to build and install DM42PGM with the latest Free42 yourself. Instructions can be found in SwissMicros' GitHub repositories.

— Ian Abbott
04-28-2019, 09:05 AM
Don't feed the troll!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-28-2019, 12:14 PM
Why troll? That is a reasonable question. The DM42 is basically hardware to run free42 which is actively developed. So I would expect to get updates with these improvements.

It is similar to Android and manufacturers who don't provide updates. Either you buy a new device (no option here) or use a custom ROM.
04-28-2019, 12:44 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2019 05:29 PM by grsbanks.)
@SammysHP - zeno333 has a track record of moaning about the DM42 not receiving an update within minutes of a new feature being added to Free42.

The DM42 is still very much supported. There are additions planned that will be released soon and Free42 V2.2 will be in the new version unless testing throws up problems related to the new features ("unlimited" RTN stack, local variables, YMD mode) but that and local variables have been working so far in our testing.

What we are not prepared to do is drop our own development of new features just so we can shoehorn in a new version of Free42 to satisfy some users who can't wait for development to take its normal course.

There is much more to adding a new version of Free42 into a self-built firmware than just grabbing the updated source from Thomas's site. Patches have to be applied to Free42 to get it to build properly in the DM42 environment, for example, and while those patches are of course released, the one we've been working with up until now no longer works with Free42 V2.2, so more work is required there before it can be released.

So, the latest Free42 is coming to the DM42, but other stuff (in particular in the screen refresh routines) needs to be finalised before that happens. I don't have an ETA for that but we have been testing alpha releases of it that are still a bit rough around the edges (that's why they're alpha releases!).
04-28-2019, 03:20 PM
I really like the DM 42, software support has been great. My concern revolves around how easy it will for DM 42 owner to resolve the hardware issue concerning the keyboard. I know that the issue has been recognized and worked on...when the solution is found, I would be happy to send my unit in for a fix, pay the shipping each way. As it stands now, I defer to my HP 42S which is a jewel of an achievement!

Unrelated...is there a way for the full 30+ digits to remain on the DM 42 display, if wished, without having to keep the show button depressed?
04-28-2019, 05:08 PM
(04-28-2019 12:14 PM)SammysHP Wrote:  Why troll? That is a reasonable question. The DM42 is basically hardware to run free42 which is actively developed. So I would expect to get updates with these improvements.

Why? Is there any commitment, anywhere?

Swissmicros' support is constant and very good; Zeno's requests are always unbearable.

Greetings,
    Massimo

04-28-2019, 09:21 PM
(04-28-2019 12:23 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Perhaps you're just trolling, and that would mean I fell for it I suppose, but really... get a life. Maybe write some Free42 programs that use features from the latest version of Free42 so that when the DM42 update with the new features finally is released, you'll be all set to test it out and verify it works.

I do agree on this. In general for every product, support, whatever who wants always everything now, while not even giving a ounce of effort aside from asking, is exhausting.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
04-29-2019, 12:59 AM
My solution to zeno333 and his whining: use the Ignore List.
04-29-2019, 12:42 PM
(04-27-2019 10:57 PM)zeno333 Wrote:  It has been 20 days since the last Free42 update that had changes adding functions to the Free42 that would also effect the DM42 functionality...Is the DM42 actively being supported and updated??..Just wondering...

I'm curious as to why would someone ask this question here?
Doesn't SM have a Forum where this would be better asked?

smp
04-29-2019, 12:46 PM
(04-29-2019 12:42 PM)smp Wrote:  

I'm curious as to why would someone ask this question here?

smp

Do you really think he isn't trolling also there? :/

Greetings,
    Massimo

04-29-2019, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2019 12:52 PM by smp.)
(04-29-2019 12:46 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(04-29-2019 12:42 PM)smp Wrote:  I'm curious as to why would someone ask this question here?

smp

Do you really think he isn't trolling also there? :/

Ha! I hadn't thought of that... 8-)

smp
05-02-2019, 09:06 AM
Look how many people actually replied, bravo.
05-02-2019, 02:24 PM
(05-02-2019 09:06 AM)Sukiari Wrote:  Look how many people actually replied, bravo.

Oh dear. I guess we weren't stoic enough. How will we survive this embarrassment?

(04-28-2019 03:20 PM)lrdheat Wrote:  Unrelated...is there a way for the full 30+ digits to remain on the DM 42 display, if wished, without having to keep the show button depressed?

No. Apart from SHOW and program listings, numbers are never shown with more than 12 digits of precision. The reason is that with more digits, you'd get numbers that wouldn't fit on one line of the display, and that would mess up the 42S user interface.

Or that's the reason not to display more than 12 digits in Free42, anyway. Since the DM42 doesn't have the 22x2 character size constraint, FIX/SCI/ENG nn with nn ≥ 12 would be doable, but it would probably still require a lot of work to support.
05-02-2019, 04:42 PM
I do like how, on the WP 34, one can display all the digits without holding a button down with the < and > keys (with appropriate prefix key pressed first).

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)