It's all about honesty. (Long)
05-12-2019, 02:02 AM
It's all about honesty. (Long)
Back in Dec. 2018 I put some items for sale at eBay.

Among them a couple of Blanknut units (C & CV) suffered from a weird damage in transit causing them to show altered display: some segments do not lite up.

Both units were fully functional before shipping.

Buyers contacted me upon receiving and I accepted the units back for repair and re-send at my expenses.

On the 41C model, the buyer receive his unit back at fully working condition, as expected.

The CV on the contrary shown a worse behaviour after repair and sent back.

The buyer then sent me a mail claiming for the unit to be faulty *again* (which is pretty logical)... BUT (and it is a big BUT) his mail shows some "insinuation" about my eBay listing was not totally honest as the unit may be considered "as is".

Since I'm in the 41 community for more than 16 years, and I will BY NO MEANS accept any doubt about my honesty, I just simply refund the original purchase+shipping and both shipping (the repair and returning) to get the unit back.

Just to keep things clear: MY HONESTY IS NOT ON SALE FOR A FEW HUNDRED EUROS!

I do not sell not working (AS IS) items.

I do my best to keep *any* HP-41 on its best working order.

I can not be responsible for *any* transit damage on a +30 years old device.

Considering the above situation, and with great regret, I'm about to leave this community and focus on some other field of interest.

Some may think that a single "incident" does not justify such a radical behaviour, but please consider my point: if a buyer put my honesty in doubt, some others may also do the same and this is simply unacceptable.

My collection will soon be up for sale (all in "AS IS" condition to avoid any possible *misunderstandings"). Except to Italy.

I've enjoyed the time here and the many good friends I've found along these years (feel free to keep in touch, you know my e-mail).

Long live to the HP-41!

Diego Diaz.

"Do not suppose, check it twice."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2019, 04:56 AM
RE: It's all about honesty. (Long)
Diego, this is saddening to read! Not only you've been all along an honest and straightforward member (a model indeed), but your contributions to the community have been sensationally valuable to us all and have made our hobby so much more enjoyable during all these years!

I hope you reconsider and decide to stay connected - despite the morons, hoaxers and otherwise unpleasant experiences on eBay and the so-called "commercial transactions" that have afflicted us all at some point in time.

Un abrazo,
Ángel
05-12-2019, 06:38 AM
I echo Angels’ post.

Haters will hate, you cannot argue rationally with the irrational. Buy all means take time off but please do not terminate your relationship with the museum patrons.

Best wishes, geoff
05-12-2019, 06:43 AM
Hello Diego

I am very sorry to hear that. But I can understand it. I had in the past the same issues on eBay.

That's why I only sell HP calculators directly to my friends.

We keep in touch.

Regards,
Patrik
05-12-2019, 07:02 AM
Diego, this is indeed sad to hear.

Even though we've never dealt, I know you by reputation, and that reputation is nothing like that eBayer is trying to make out.

If you want to steer clear of eBay in future then that's understandable. It's pretty wild out there and eBay themselves offer little protection despite what they say. The guys and girls here are a totally different bunch.

It could be that you have other things going on and this eBay incident was the last straw to break the camel's back. If so, fair enough, but don't let this alone dictate your withdrawal from an activity that you're clearly passionate about. It's just wrong. Don't let the a-holes win!

Next time I'm on Gran Canaria I'll try and hook up with you and we can sink a few jarras de Tropical Smile
05-12-2019, 07:18 AM
Quote:Considering the above situation, and with great regret, I'm about to leave this community and focus on some other field of interest.

You'll find bad people in almost every field. How 'bout quitting eBay if you need to, but staying with this community. Like Geoff said,
Quote:please do not terminate your relationship with the museum patrons.

And BTW, I'm certainly enjoying my Clonix module!

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2019, 07:39 AM
Hi Diego,
I'm sorry to hear this. As others have said there are dishonest people on eBay but I think they are not the majority. I've had so far a good experience with the different buyers/sellers I've dealt with.
Your contribution to our community has been so great that I wish you'll reconsider your decision but whatever it is I'll respect it.
A big thanks for your Clonix/Nov modules and all your expertise from which I've learned a lot.
05-12-2019, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2019 07:45 AM by Diego Diaz.)
Thank you all for your kind words.

Should the issue would have happened with some anonymous buyer from who-knows-where, it wouldn't have reached this forum whatsoever and wouldn't have taken more than a couple of minutes of my time.

The reason I posted this here is because the buyer is a well known member of this community, and I don't want to stay in the same room (so to speak) with this kind of person.

To my mind, the idea of questioning the honesty of Ángel or Raymond, Sylvain, Geir, Meindert, Michael, Jean-Francoise, Patrik, Geof... to name a few of a (very) long list is simply unconceivable.

And therefore, the idea of someone else questioning my honesty is unacceptable.

Again my gratitude for so many years of good experiences.

Best of lucks from Canary Islands.

Diego.

"Do not suppose, check it twice."
05-12-2019, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2019 10:32 AM by Geoff Quickfall.)
Truly are a gentleman Diego.

Again, best wishes,

Geoff
05-12-2019, 10:07 AM
Diego,
I joined the Calculator party late in life at 67. After last working on an HP-97 in 1980 I had a lot of catching up to do. Your help and the Clonix-D you sold me saved me from having to pay £100s for separate vintage modules for my newly acquired new/old HP-41CX I bought in 2016. You supported my ridiculous noobie questions and patiently, honestly answered them in detail for no extra charge - a true and honest gentleman.
Dennis

Denny Tuckerman
05-12-2019, 11:43 AM
(05-12-2019 07:45 AM)Diego Diaz Wrote:  The reason I posted this here is because the buyer is a well known member of this community, and I don't want to stay in the same room (so to speak) with this kind of person.

Ah, now I understand your initial post!
I am sorry to know that you had such a bad experience.
Please reconsider and give it time to heal and forgive.

On a different note, your report only confirms what we know about how picky the 41 series can be.
Vibrations can cause the 41 series to stop working due to failure on some of the many pressure electrical contacts.
Any knowledgeable collector or vintage HP "aficionado" would be aware of that.

I have three 41's bought in eBay and none arrived in fully working state, even the one sold as such.
I didn't complain to the seller as that would cause more expenses and trouble. Instead I opened the damn thing and repaired it myself, knowing exactly what mechanical issues these great vintage machines may exhibit.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Hi Diego,

I can fully understand your fury. And as you said I have had very good experience with everyone I had contact with on the forum. It is very said to hear that you have now had a negative experience.
It would be a great shame to lose you as a fellow forum member! Also, don't let a single person ruin your hobby! It's just not worth it...
Your work and your contribution to the community are very much appreciated.
I always wondered if I should get a clonix module. Looks like I might have waited too long and the decision has been made for me.

If you do leave, I hope you will enjoy your other interests as much as you have enjoyed HP calculators.

All the best,
Harald
05-12-2019, 12:30 PM
Hello Diego,
Your post remind me how I feel when someone try by all means to impose his rights as it was a new item purchased from a retailer.
As said by other members here, it could happen in other contexts and that shouldn’t force to change passion and/comunity.
It happened to each of us to receive one not working very well calculator; I received a faulty enter key on a hp28s and the seller didn’t notice because he wasn’t able to use it but I can also remind that I received an hp48sx with a couple of cards in it.

I have read your post with a lot of interest and bought some 41 components for my broken units in the past. If you leave this comunity we will lose a valuable contribution but you are free to do what your heart says.

My 2 cents,

Giancarlo
05-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Hi Diego (and all others),

I am really sorry about your negative experience, this should never happen in this community. I always feel among friends here, but maybe we should be a bit more cautious in the future.
In any case I much appreciate Diego's contributions here and I would ask him to reconsider his decison to leave us

Regards, Meindert
05-12-2019, 03:37 PM
Hello Diego. One thousand thanks for all you've contributed to the HP forums, the MoHPC and the overall knowledge of this community. I've gained insight and understanding of the HP41 series from your posts and comments. It will be a great loss to the community when you leave, but I support your decision one hundred percent! I've sold HP products on eBay and I've purchased products on eBay. I usually bend over backwards to help a seller(if I'm buying) and help the buyer(if I'm selling). Like you, I go out of my way to be honest, fair and sincere about my dealings with anyone; believing that's the way I would like to be treated. Honesty and trust is something you've earned over the decades. It saddens me that someone has questioned your integrity and tried to take advantage of your generous and kind nature.

The good news is that much of your contributions will live on through the MoHPC and other forums and repositories. We all stand on the shoulders of those that have come before us. Thank you again.
05-12-2019, 03:45 PM
It may help to mail the calculators in large antistatic bags. I strated doing that for certain Sharp BASIC pocket computers and extended it to vitange HP calculators. Seems to have elemintaed many issues.

Try it!

Namir
05-12-2019, 04:06 PM
Diego

It’s wrong. It’s painful. It’s frustrating.
I can fully understand that you're upset. But ...

Don’t let him have this kind of power over you!
Take a deep breath and think of all the people here that highly appreciate you as person and your great contribution to this community.

Don't do something that you regret just because of one ungrateful person, it's not worth it.

Take care,
Jürgen
05-12-2019, 06:28 PM
(05-12-2019 02:02 AM)Diego Diaz Wrote:  My collection will soon be up for sale (all in "AS IS" condition to avoid any possible *misunderstandings"). Except to Italy.

So sorry to read this, Diego.
Being your first customer makes me feel more sorry to see that an italian is at culprit, or so it seems.

Please reconsider the whole thing and don't leave us alone; I would like to know the name of our friend, but I well understand if you prefer to keep the thing between you two.

Please, Diego, don't go.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
05-12-2019, 07:20 PM
(05-12-2019 02:02 AM)Diego Diaz Wrote:  <...snip...>
Considering the above situation, and with great regret, I'm about to leave this community and focus on some other field of interest.

Some may think that a single "incident" does not justify such a radical behaviour, but please consider my point: if a buyer put my honesty in doubt, some others may also do the same and this is simply unacceptable.
<...snip...>

This is very sad news, indeed! Diego, you have been a pillar of this community, and I am certain that many besides me will be very sorry to see you leave.

Indeed, there is a tremendous group of folks here who know the truth about you, and I hope that may help you reconsider this change of venue.

Thank you very much for all that you have contributed here.

smp
05-12-2019, 07:25 PM
This is really a sad day. I bought several HP-41 items from Diego and he always helped me in a patient and friendly way. For me, Diego is one of the most honest and helpful people I know. I hope he will change his mind after all!
All the best from the heart, Diego!
Juergen

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)