It's all about honesty. (Long)
05-12-2019, 07:33 PM
RE: It's all about honesty. (Long)
(05-12-2019 04:06 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  Diego

It’s wrong. It’s painful. It’s frustrating.
I can fully understand that you're upset. But ...

Don’t let him have this kind of power over you!
Take a deep breath and think of all the people here that highly appreciate you as person and your great contribution to this community.

Don't do something that you regret just because of one ungrateful person, it's not worth it.

Take care,
Jürgen
And
(05-12-2019 06:28 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  So sorry to read this, Diego.
Being your first customer makes me feel more sorry to see that an italian is at culprit, or so it seems.

Please reconsider the whole thing and don't leave us alone; I would like to know the name of our friend, but I well understand if you prefer to keep the thing between you two.

Please, Diego, don't go.

I agree with Jürgen and Massimo. Don't let this selfish person control how you choose to have fun and share with other folks with similar interests and hobbies. You've contributed so much of your knowledge, time and most of all friendship to sooo many here that it would be terrible to let one selfish person ruin that!

In addition to years and years of giving to the community, your character is proven by your reluctance to publish the name of the offender here; despite desiring to know, I respect your decision to not name names. Neither do I expect this person to own up to this tragic series of events publicly. Of course, it still would be nice to know who to avoid dealing with... it would be mighty interesting if I (and a few other fellow supporters here) were to receive an email with only a name in the message...

Take time off to consider both the offense as well as all the love and respect shown here by so many long-time and respected members. I believe and hope you will conclude as most of us do that the good must be considered more than the bad. But whatever you decide, my long-lasting and sincere respect and thanks go with you.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2019, 07:33 PM
(05-12-2019 02:02 AM)Diego Diaz Wrote:  Just to keep things clear: MY HONESTY IS NOT ON SALE FOR A FEW HUNDRED EUROS!

Diego Diaz.

Diego, this is one of many things I appreciate about you, and your talent for the wonderful HP41 module line (CLONIX and the NOVRAM series I have enjoyed using so much!)

I urge you, I beg you not to sell your collection and retire!!

I have had similar problems with the HP 41 series (and lately even some of my HP48g/+/x calculators have been having keyboard problems). I've had enough problems with the aging HP41's that I'm also hesitant to sell them other than for parts- even after validation with a service module.

A man of honor, is certainly honest. I feel a man of honor can also overlook an insult if he knows he was being honest in the first place, no?

In any case, I pray this will be settled without either party leaving our small community.

17bii | 32s | 32sii | 41c | 41cv | 41cx | 42s | 48g | 48g+ | 48gx | 50g | 30b

05-12-2019, 08:47 PM
Diego, I would like to add my voice to those asking you to reconsider, and stay in this community.

Regardless, I'd also like to thank you in public for the offline help you've kindly given me on 41 power issues, very much appreciated.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
05-12-2019, 09:01 PM
Hi all,

Your response is/has been overwhelming (to say the least) and I really have no words to express my feelings about this. Thank you.

This alone, as well as some wise comments/advices received (both here and by private mail) should have been enough to reconsider my initial decision.

Also, along the past hours I've crossed a couple of e-mails with the buyer (whose name will remain undisclosed by all means).

In the first message he showed surprised about my reaction and the posting of this thread in the forum.

In my reply I pointed out some of the expresions and sentences from his previous correspondece which (to the best of my knowledge of the English language) cast doubts about my honesty.

To make a long story short, his last (long) mail expressed what I think is a sincere apology for what could be considered a very unfortunate selection of words to describe his frustration with the events that have concurred during this transaction.

Since I'm also a foreign English speaker, and certainly too picky in matters that I consider sensible, I have taken his last message for good and consider the issue closed.

Taking a good lesson from a bad experience, I will always remember this day not because of the eBay issue, but the friendly support you all have provided with your messages: You are the best!

With warmest regards.

Diego.

"Do not suppose, check it twice."
05-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Excellent news, Diego!

You are a true gentleman and the community would be the less should you leave it.

Hope to see you sometime in the DR. :-)

Gene
05-12-2019, 10:23 PM
We've had a few departures (but a fortunate return) that have lessened the community. Glad to hear of a positive resolution. A good lesson to me of the consequences of our words to others.

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
05-12-2019, 10:28 PM
(05-12-2019 09:01 PM)Diego Diaz Wrote:  [snip]
Taking a good lesson from a bad experience, I will always remember this day not because of the eBay issue, but the friendly support you all have provided with your messages: You are the best!

With warmest regards.

Diego.

Great news!! Thanks for sharing this so promptly.

Also, good news that whomever was involved could see the effect of his/her comments and reached out to talk with you to correct the misunderstanding.

Mostly, I'm glad you reached out via message here, rather than simply quietly leaving. It allowed us to weigh-in on how we feel, to see that the community truly appreciates your contributions and friendship, and to provide a means for the issue to be resolved. Big Grin

--Bob Prosperi
05-12-2019, 10:33 PM
Hi Diego,

Glad to hear that you have reconcidered and are now continue to be a part of the community here!

Cheers,
Harald
05-12-2019, 10:36 PM
Yahooooo!
05-13-2019, 02:12 AM
Great News. Thanks Diego!
05-13-2019, 04:39 AM
(05-12-2019 10:28 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Great news!! Thanks for sharing this so promptly.

Also, good news that whomever was involved could see the effect of his/her comments and reached out to talk with you to correct the misunderstanding.

Mostly, I'm glad you reached out via message here, rather than simply quietly leaving. It allowed us to weigh-in on how we feel, to see that the community truly appreciates your contributions and friendship, and to provide a means for the issue to be resolved. Big Grin

I second all of Bob's well-written points, and I'm likewise delighted that you're staying with us, Diego!

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-13-2019, 05:17 AM
Diego,

This is great news Smile

Thanks for reconsidering! This would have been a poorer place without you!
05-13-2019, 06:14 AM
Great!
Thank you Diego.

This helps remembering (when grammar errors don't put us under the spotlight) that a great part of members is not native english speaking.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
05-13-2019, 01:38 PM
Diego,

I hope you do stay with our community and we thank you for your contributions. Whatever you ultimately decide, may you find success and happiness.

Eddie
05-13-2019, 02:26 PM
Diego,

It's great that you are sticking around, and thanks for all your contributions (even though I don't have a HP-41C myself, and have no plans to get into the whole HP-41 eco-system in the foreseeable future!).

Cheers,
Ian

— Ian Abbott
05-13-2019, 02:32 PM
Diego - thank you for showing whoever it was that ‘questioned’ your honesty that you’re the ‘grown up’ in the interchange. Excellent news that you’ll be staying.
Years and years ago, when my family and I moved to Sheffield, UK (1990), my son who was just 11 at the time was set upon in a local park by 4 16 year olds in the first week. We both used to watch David Carradine on the TV in ‘Kung-Fu’. So rather than go and hunt down the parents I suggested that we both should go to Local Kung-Fu classes together. Roll forward 6 years and we’ve both reached ‘Brown Belt’ level.
The Philosophy behind Kung-Fu is that where possible you don’t initially resort to a fighting position but by using a combination of learnt Catas you frustrate and embarrass your opponent by blocking all attempts to land and punches and kicks. It is doubly effective by not only frustrating but also ensuring that the ‘bully’ is totally shown up in front of his so-called mates/companions.
One of the main tenets of the Philosophy is to ‘not fight’ at all if possible, but not to be a doormat either!
Your effort to smooth out this situation (that was not even started by you!) just echoes what other members - true gentleman.

Never let other people live in your head rent free!
Dennis

Denny Tuckerman
05-13-2019, 07:10 PM
Great! Smile
05-14-2019, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2019 03:03 PM by isanchez.)
Hi,
I join to the good reactions about your stay, Diego. It is a reasonable decision...

In any case, I would like to express some comments about my experience dealing with HP41 repairs(/collection)...I believe that there are two types of HP41 calculators: the ones that got already repaired and the ones that will be repaired in the next future. They have serious design defects (IMHO), compared, i.e. with all classic series. Batteries leakage normally accelerates the process of screw posts plasticization. The idea of keeping the board contacts by mean of the four back half screws is not clever...time, hits, battery leakage, etc.. are the death.

When I send back a "repaired" calculator (not only the HP41) I cross my fingers. The worst you can hear when the parcel arrives is: "well, it's here, but it does not work!" This is typical in HP41series, but also in HP97 card readers and printers...

Despite all this, we do love them and for this reason, we all have done big efforts to provide solutions to the MANY problems that you can find in HP41 series. I like very much to repeat the words of DATAMATH website (sorry for quoting the dark side ;-D): "it's a Calculator Collecting Hobby - not a business!"...if you do not understand this, you should better get off the forum...

In the "classified" section we recently found a guy that wanted, in his first post in the Forum, to offer his calculator even more expensive than could be found in eBay!!!... we are freaks, but clever freaks!!

I would like to encorage you all to keep this brotherhood spirit, as much strong as possible...I have learnt a lot from you, and offered my modest contributions, following the same line: it's a Calculator Collecting Hobby - not a business!!!!

(Obviously, you see English is not my mother tongue at all ;-DDD))

Kind regards

Ignacio
05-15-2019, 04:16 PM
Hi Diego, I’m happy to see that you changed your mind and will stay with us.
As a tribute to you I’ve published in the article section of the forum the English version of the Clonix 10th anniversary article.
05-15-2019, 10:42 PM
(05-15-2019 04:16 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Hi Diego, I’m happy to see that you changed your mind and will stay with us.
As a tribute to you I’ve published in the article section of the forum the English version of the Clonix 10th anniversary article.

Really nice work Didier, thanks for completing and sharing this. I had heard of the original article but could not read it (I'm limited to English, RPN and RPL), so this is very welcome. It provides an excellent historical and technical bridge from the classic 41 ROM emulators everyone remembers (but could not afford) to today, where Diego's excellent modules provide an affordable and easy to use solution to let your 41 use almost every module out there.

Thank you Didier and thank you (again) Diego!

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)